To Pop Up or not to Pop Up?

Mack M

Howdy,

I'm trying to decide my next rig, which will be used as a daily driver, will be used to drive the pan American, will ultimately be shipped to Europe and hopefully eventually Australia in 5-10 years.

I've been pondering this decision for way too long and need to act.

I just can't decide between a pop up slide in camper (4wheel, all terrain or Outfitter), or a hard side (bear adventure vehicles, Total Composites camper).

I've had an All Terrain pop up in the past, and liked it, however, as much as we like to spend time out in the wilds, we also like to camp in urban areas, and my thinking is that a hard sided camper would be far better for this task. I'm in love with the Total Composites product and think for the money, there is no better camper on the market. I just worry about the small amount of off-roading I will do, and the annoyance of the height while doing long drives around Central America or in the Balkans, etc.

The main rigs I'm considering are:

2024 Tundra with either the pop up option or the Total Composites option or...

2024 Reg cab F-250 with 8 ft total composites camper. Basically a poor man's expedition vehicle of sorts, on the cheap.

Just curious if anyone had considered this before and what your perspective was.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I like the height of the pop-ups as well... but honestly, after working on building my own custom Pop-Up camper... I would go hard sided all day long. The drawbacks of the pop up are far outweighed by the benefits of the hard sided camper. The Total Composites campers are indeed amazing, and are on my to-do list for the mid term.

Pop ups are great, and might be better for shipping and so on, but MAN is it ever nice to be warm and cozy in your hard sided camper when it is below freezing.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
You've hit most of the pros and cons. I'll ad that a hard side is so much quieter. Especially for urban camping. Or in campgrounds the the ever present buzz of generators and SXS maggots. Limits where you can go. Weight is higher up so more sway. Also not garageable.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Your post resonates with me, as I've been in a similar situation before and even now. When I first delved into truck campers, I had my eye on a pop-up for quite some time. They seemed appealing and everyone touted their lightweight nature compared to hard-sided ones. However, after much deliberation, research, and self-doubt, I ultimately bought a pre-owned Northern Light truck camper that happened to be lighter than any pop-up I had considered. I cherished that camper immensely. The only reason I parted with it was due to health reasons, needing a vehicle where I could easily move from front to back. Consequently, I transitioned to a Class C motorhome and later to a van.

You've pretty much covered all the points I mulled over. One significant factor that steered me away from a pop-up was the wear and tear, often literal, on the material from frequent setup and takedown, especially if I used the truck during the day like I planned to do. Another reason for opting for a hard side was my location in Alberta, Canada. I needed something usable in winter that retained heat well while maintaining ample height. Some suggested leaving the pop-up roof down in severe cold, but I wasn't keen on that. Thus, a hard side offered the convenience of accessing the camper anytime, regardless of weather, without fussing over raising and lowering the roof.

Security was also a concern for my wife. She wasn't keen on camping in bear country with anything soft-sided, despite the minimal risk of intrusion due to the elevated position of the soft side of the camper.

Seeing a nice pop-up for sale locally recently reignited my contemplation about returning to a truck camper setup. However, I quickly concluded that if I were to go down that path again, I'd opt for a hard-sided one for all the reasons I mentioned earlier and those you highlighted.

I recall reading a report years ago about the cost-effectiveness of driving with a pop-up versus a full-size truck camper. While you may experience some reduction in wind resistance with a pop-up, the overall difference would be negligible. The weight is still a factor, as is the wind-catching the piece extending over the cab.

Best of luck with your decision, but my vote would lean towards a hard side.

carterd

The hard sided options offer better security, better insulation, and simplicity. In addition, the Total Composites (and Globe Trekker) offerings are available for DIY interior buildout. I think all pop-up offerings force you into a factory interior build, which adds cost if you can do it yourself. The disadvantage of height can potentially be addressed in a few ways:
- The Total Composites standard offering has an interior height of 82" (6' 10"). If you don't need this much interior height, your builder might be able to cut this down to suit your needs. This would be a compromise between the full-height offering and a pop-up.
- Overland Adventure Truck had a prototype of the Total Composites camper with a pagoda roof. This options provides better clearance for tunnels, shelf roads, and trees. There is less roof real estate for solar panels and you need a short door. I'd love to see this as a TC offering. Being able to do the pagoda roof in combination with cutting down the interior height (unless you are really tall) seems like a great path for me.

Attachments

• OAT.png
    OAT.png
    851 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
. . . I recall reading a report years ago about the cost-effectiveness of driving with a pop-up versus a full-size truck camper. While you may experience some reduction in wind resistance with a pop-up, the overall difference would be negligible . . .
I just want to clarify a couple of things about wind profile:

I have a hunting buddy who has a Northern Lite hard side on a 2022 Ram 2500 4X4 gas. I have a FWC Grandby on a 2012 Ram 2500 4X4 gas. We travel together to hunt once a year, so same route, same time, same speed, same conditions. I loose ~2 mpg, he looses about 5mpg from camperless travel. One data point.

I have seen a number of hard side campers on their side in the ditch in South Dakota and Wyoming from side wind gusts. Driving is unnerving in a pop-up, I wouldn't want to try it in a high profile camper with high winds.
. . . I think all pop-up offerings force you into a factory interior build, which adds cost if you can do it yourself . . .
FWC and ATC (maybe others?) offer shell campers with bare interiors.

Mack M

I like the height of the pop-ups as well... but honestly, after working on building my own custom Pop-Up camper... I would go hard sided all day long. The drawbacks of the pop up are far outweighed by the benefits of the hard sided camper. The Total Composites campers are indeed amazing, and are on my to-do list for the mid term.

Pop ups are great, and might be better for shipping and so on, but MAN is it ever nice to be warm and cozy in your hard sided camper when it is below freezing.
That's a great perspective and is very helpful, thank you!

Mack M

You've hit most of the pros and cons. I'll ad that a hard side is so much quieter. Especially for urban camping. Or in campgrounds the the ever present buzz of generators and SXS maggots. Limits where you can go. Weight is higher up so more sway. Also not garageable.
Yeah that is a great point, I'm sure they are way quieter, that's a very good point.

Mack M

Your post resonates with me, as I've been in a similar situation before and even now. When I first delved into truck campers, I had my eye on a pop-up for quite some time. They seemed appealing and everyone touted their lightweight nature compared to hard-sided ones. However, after much deliberation, research, and self-doubt, I ultimately bought a pre-owned Northern Light truck camper that happened to be lighter than any pop-up I had considered. I cherished that camper immensely. The only reason I parted with it was due to health reasons, needing a vehicle where I could easily move from front to back. Consequently, I transitioned to a Class C motorhome and later to a van.

You've pretty much covered all the points I mulled over. One significant factor that steered me away from a pop-up was the wear and tear, often literal, on the material from frequent setup and takedown, especially if I used the truck during the day like I planned to do. Another reason for opting for a hard side was my location in Alberta, Canada. I needed something usable in winter that retained heat well while maintaining ample height. Some suggested leaving the pop-up roof down in severe cold, but I wasn't keen on that. Thus, a hard side offered the convenience of accessing the camper anytime, regardless of weather, without fussing over raising and lowering the roof.

Security was also a concern for my wife. She wasn't keen on camping in bear country with anything soft-sided, despite the minimal risk of intrusion due to the elevated position of the soft side of the camper.

Seeing a nice pop-up for sale locally recently reignited my contemplation about returning to a truck camper setup. However, I quickly concluded that if I were to go down that path again, I'd opt for a hard-sided one for all the reasons I mentioned earlier and those you highlighted.

I recall reading a report years ago about the cost-effectiveness of driving with a pop-up versus a full-size truck camper. While you may experience some reduction in wind resistance with a pop-up, the overall difference would be negligible. The weight is still a factor, as is the wind-catching the piece extending over the cab.

Best of luck with your decision, but my vote would lean towards a hard side.
Thank you, that is very helpful. My wife also has the security concern, which is her biggest argument against the pop-up. Happy wife, happy life, maybe that in and of itself is enough for me to go with a hard side. Not to mention, I'm just so obsessed with the total composite product, it just looks light years better than everything else in my opinion and the fact that I can buy a shell for 18 grand and build it the way I want, is just icing on the cake. Thank you for the perspective!

Mack M

The hard sided options offer better security, better insulation, and simplicity. In addition, the Total Composites (and Globe Trekker) offerings are available for DIY interior buildout. I think all pop-up offerings force you into a factory interior build, which adds cost if you can do it yourself. The disadvantage of height can potentially be addressed in a few ways:
- The Total Composites standard offering has an interior height of 82" (6' 10"). If you don't need this much interior height, your builder might be able to cut this down to suit your needs. This would be a compromise between the full-height offering and a pop-up.
- Overland Adventure Truck had a prototype of the Total Composites camper with a pagoda roof. This options provides better clearance for tunnels, shelf roads, and trees. There is less roof real estate for solar panels and you need a short door. I'd love to see this as a TC offering. Being able to do the pagoda roof in combination with cutting down the interior height (unless you are really tall) seems like a great path for me.
Yeah that's a great point. I remember seeing that prototype, but I don't know if it ever came to surface. That would be the best of both worlds, you are right.

Mack M

I just want to clarify a couple of things about wind profile:

I have a hunting buddy who has a Northern Lite hard side on a 2022 Ram 2500 4X4 gas. I have a FWC Grandby on a 2012 Ram 2500 4X4 gas. We travel together to hunt once a year, so same route, same time, same speed, same conditions. I loose ~2 mpg, he looses about 5mpg from camperless travel. One data point.

I have seen a number of hard side campers on their side in the ditch in South Dakota and Wyoming from side wind gusts. Driving is unnerving in a pop-up, I wouldn't want to try it in a high profile camper with high winds.

FWC and ATC (maybe others?) offer shell campers with bare interiors.
Very interesting, thank you. I've had people tell me that the unnerving driving feeling of a hard side, as well as the miles per gallon hit wouldn't be as severe as I thought in a hard sided camper, but you clearly show otherwise, which is what I was thinking. I live in Colorado and drive up to my warehouse in Western Wyoming frequently, so that's definitely a concern. I know what you mean. My old all-terrain camper on my Silverado got pretty hairy in the wind, I couldn't imagine a hard sided camper on a half ton truck. Perhaps if I go hard side camper I definitely need to go with three-quarter ton truck for the added stability.

tacollie

Glamper
How much do you want to spend? The higher end pop-ups are really nice and do well in the cold. They aren't as quit as a hard side but they are easy better than FWC. But you're going to be pushing $60k for a new one. $40K for a used one. We love our OEV but to order the same camper today is $18k more then we paid for ours. That's enough to be a deal breaker for us.

The only security benefit of a hard side is you can get in your truck and drive without having to lower the top. I suppose a person could climb on the hood and try to get in a soft top but they would make a lot of noise. If a bear wants in it's getting in. We have some friends that live in the mountains and a bear ripped the door off their Subaru trying to get a ChapStick their kid dropped between the seats.

$18K for a total composite shell and maybe another $10K for build out would be pretty sweet if you can live with the height.

Jsoboti

I think climate plays a role as well. I have a FWC Hawk and a Northern Lite 8-11. I know, its silly to have two, will probably sell one, but I really don't want to.

I camped for years in the FWC Hawk in the winter and was just fine. Now with my girlfriend and dog, they weren't comfortable in the Hawk in the winter. The Northern Lite is basically a small apartment and is amazing for winter trips.

If you're more of a 3 season camper, with most of your time spent outside, the pop-ups really are incredible. However if you're doing a lot of winter camping which inevitability results in more time in the camper, a 4 season hard sided camper is the way to go. Being able to take a hot shower in the camper after skiing has really been a game changer!

jk6661

Observer
It seems like wind load is the only major con for hard-sided that people have found (other than weight). Is that right? It seems like weight could be taken care of with a bigger truck (350-450 or equivalent).

As for lowing the height of a TC box, that sounds good in theory if you're a shorter person (like me), but it would also lower the (already low) cab-over height to make it even more coffin like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior