To Pop Up or not to Pop Up?

Mack M

One of the best modifications I've done is to add hydro-assist steering. Besides making turning big tires easy, a side-benefit of hydro-assist is that it is the best steering damper around.

Our camper is around 11'6" tall. It is unaffected by side-winds by and large. Adding hydro-assist is going to be an early mod in all future trucks where possible.

Regarding the topic of this thread, it always surprises me that the market for pop-up campers is as large as it is. For camping for an extended period of time a hard side camper has no downsides and numerous positives as others have mentioned already.
Agreed, though the argument I always hear pertains to the off road limitations of a hard sided camper. Though I (coming from someone who's idea off road is a 1985 4Runner on 35s) feel that any vehicle that can carry even a pop up camper is already limited to off-road by the sheer nature of the vehicle.

Mack M

Why is this a question then?
IMHO security in a camper is an illusion. Unless you have an armored camper they all are easy to gain entrance with a crowbar or claw.
Get what you need to make your wife and kids feel secure.
Yep, at the end of the day, you are totally right now that I think about it, that pretty much sums it up!

Mack M

What about a hard side popup like Hiatus? That is the direction I am contemplating. They do have a long wait list if ordered new. I don't know if any are available used.
I've looked at those too, and they seem really innovative and cool, but I wrestle with the idea of leaving it on the truck all the time and resealing the bed each time would get tiresome. If the main goal was off-road with a comfortable place to camp, that would be my #1 choice, but as I'm older now, the main goal is comfort, so I think having a slide in wins.

andy_b

Agreed, though the argument I always hear pertains to the off road limitations of a hard sided camper. Though I (coming from someone who's idea off road is a 1985 4Runner on 35s) feel that any vehicle that can carry even a pop up camper is already limited to off-road by the sheer nature of the vehicle.

I 100% agree that a hard sided camper is a limitation off road. Based on your initial post, the livability and storage affording by a bigger truck and hard side camper probably provides more value than pure off road performance. Based on your travel aspirations, I don't think that you'll be too disappointed.

A F350 or bigger is what I'd chose vs a Tundra or similar.

Mack M

I 100% agree that a hard sided camper is a limitation off road. Based on your initial post, the livability and storage affording by a bigger truck and hard side camper probably provides more value than pure off road performance. Based on your travel aspirations, I don't think that you'll be too disappointed.

A F350 or bigger is what I'd chose vs a Tundra or similar.
Yep, I think you’re right.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Check out Alaskan Campers. Best of both worlds and since they've been building them for 50+ years, there are used ones available.
The Alaskans are HEAVY!

That means bigger truck to haul it.

Maybe not the best solution.

THIS is the best solution I have seen based upon your original question.

Light, short, powerful, very off-road capable, not tall and comfortable at the end of the day.

Enjoy all 25 pages!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior