To save the Disco II, or to let it go? Seeking advice from the Land Rover Gods.

Stock Tyres

Observer
You seem like you need a toyota. If you don't/ can't do your own work the Discovery is going to leave you in a world disappointment, cut your losses and let it go.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
I was in a similar position not too long ago. I started fixing things thinking "once this is done, I'll be good". However, new things kept cropping up.
I'd sell it. If I thought for a second that once those things were fixed it would be good for another 107,000 miles, I'd say keep it. But it won't. It is going to be a money pit and you aren't going to trust it. Once you don't trust it, you aren't going to want to travel in it. There are still lots of things that can and will go wrong and they are expensive and obnoxious - especially out of the country.

I've been through it and really wish I would have gotten away from the vehicle sooner.

I'm sorry. I loved my Disco and wish I could have kept it, but in my experience, the DII's are miserable after 70,000 miles and you will spend more keeping them going than you would selling it and buying something more reliable.

As you other rover fans know, we all choose an expensive hobby but at some point you have got to know when to let it go. Took the Disco in to the dealer for a simple problem, and came out with a very expensive "THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED SOON!!!" List.

Cylinder heads starting to leek est $2,247
T-Body Heater est $170 (can someone tell me exactly what this does")
Reseal the transfer case est $1578

I truly love my Disco but with 107,000 on the clock I'm wondering if its time to start over. My over all goal is to have a Pan-American ready vehical in the next 2 years or so.

So should I bite the bullet and stick with the Disco (all ready did a new drive shaft, tires, breaks). Or start looking for something new which also has to act as my DD, which will add a year or two to the Pan-American trip.

I seek you advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger