To trade gen 1 for gen 2 or not to trade that is the question.

Jamacee

Observer
So I recently purchased willwinforfood's 91 Monty LS(R).

It is a great trail rig but I am finding I am doing more and more on road driving than the little bit I can get.

There is a guy local to me who has a 95 SR 180k willing to trade.

The trade is pretty even stevens my gen 1 w/ 95 sr drivetrain minus bumper, snorkel, and receiver hitch ( that is if a gen 1 hitch will fit gen 2????) for his 95 stock sr.

I don't know much about the DOHC motor other than the part that sucks the most to my wallet is the premium unleaded gas. I understand there is a crank bolt fix? And a butterfly valve issue? And they are prone to have valve seals go bad at 100k like the rest of the Mitsu motors.

I like the idea of a little more power, shoulder belts for rear jump seats, I like the gen 2's a lot, and the true AWD for if the south looses it's mind and gets frozen out again this winter. Lolololol. Also like the idea of keeping Monty's in the hands of Monty enthusiasts.

Someone on here had a great idea about retrofitting the frame horns to accept jeep or yota bumpers. I think I will go that route for a winch if I did the trade.

What would y'all do if you were me?

Jamacee

Observer
So now after reading some more I see the 95 SR's don't have a obdII?

How many folks here are overlanding 95's?

zukrider

Explorer
there really isnt any need for OBDII. i had a 94 SR, it was a pleasure to drive. however, ill be going with a Gen 1 as my next rig of choice.

Jamacee

Observer
Next trail rig choice or daily driver multi purpose?

I love my gen 1 and I am certain I can go a lot of places with it but I sure as heck am not going to get there very quickly. I just really like the idea of more power.

How much bigger is a gen 2 inside than a gen 1. I have the jump seats in my 91 welded in what would be stock location but my 5'8" size 11 shoe wearing 14yr old is kind of hating life back there. I am assuming there is a tad bit more leg room back there in a gen 2 right?

Also will my gen 1 OEM receiver hitch fit on a gen 2?

Jamacee

Observer
ec9ce9485fd9a60d9b56f218fbfa7e6a.jpg
my 91 LS(R) trade is minus snorkel and Don's bumper.

4ebe2ac939e0c9310fcc5a635a859c2a.jpg
stock 95sr

Jamacee

Observer
Don't everyone jump on this thread and answer all at once lol.

I am curious what others have done or experienced making the switch from gen 1 to 2 or vice versa and do you have any regrets.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
I have a friend with a Gen 1, and I've run the Gen 2.

Off road his is quite capable, but that's also because he doesn't care about body damage or anything, so he can just mat it to the floor and hope it makes it sometimes. On the road he hates it. He says he can get around town in it, but it's just not that great. My Gen 2 has gone most all the places his has, except for times when I knew body damage would be very likely. I would just go around the obstacle and keep wheeling. I loved it on the road, that's why I'm looking for another one. I have a family now and would like to be able to run them down the road to cool places and wheel to where we want to go, then get back home.

Having driven both, I would hands down pick the Gen 2 if you plan on using it as an overlander. If you want to stick to local running around, the Gen 1 is great as well. These are my opinions, and I'm sure there are others that would differ.

Jamacee

Observer
Thanks TNmontero! I kinda feel same as your buddy now having finally been able to have a gen1 and DD everyday in ATL traffic.

Whereabouts are you in TN? Wife's family is strewn throughout east TN. From Harriman to Nashville to chatty to m'boro.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Jamacee,

I'm torn between them. I've had both so I can confirm that although I love look, simplicity & ruggedness the gen I's, the gen 2 wins for it's creature comforts, leather seating (heated seats in the late 98-00 winter package versions), improved overall amenities and more modern drivetrain w/ 3-position shocks, abs, etc. That said I'd probably take a gen I over the gen II for 99% of the time I'd be on the road.

Good luck regardless which route you take.

Oso

Forest Defecator
FWIW I had to make the same decision not long ago. I kept my Gen 1. Gotta have my vent windows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78