To winch, or not to winch...

XJxplorer

Adventurer
Just like the title says...

I cant decide if I really need a winch or not.

How many of you guys are running a winch and how many times have you had to use it? I know its kind of one of those things you get just for the peace of mind, but I still cant decide.....

Thanks

Mike:26_7_2:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I have one and use it alot. Wheeling here is muddy which is one reason. I also use it alot for other projects like hauling out tree stumps etc.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I rarely use mine anymore since shying away from the harder offroad trails. And my time spent in the woods has been with a few other vehicles, also with a winch.

If you dont see yourself needing one much perhaps an Engel fridge/freeze would better serve you in the desert? Thats assuming you dont already own one.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Investing in a winch is worth it, just for the piece of mind. I had one on my last 4Runner and again now on my current one. Over 200,000 miles on my last truck and never used it to pull myself out, However knowing I had it gave me the confidence to drive through and over challenges that I never would have without the winch being with me as a backup. I did use it dozens of times to pull out other unlucky souls and to do other useful jobs like stump pulling or fence stretching.

Still glad I installed another one on my current rig. Just used it to pull my son out of sand wash stuck a few day a go. :archaeolo

robert

Expedition Leader
I had one on my Cruiser and my first Taco and I have one along with an ARB for the new Taco though I have yet to install it (still need to upgrade the suspension first). I used them to pull other people out a lot more than I used them for self recovery- funny how folks forget to invite you to go wheeling but suddenly remember you have a winch when they get stuck. :rolleyes: I also used them to move stuff around when my brother was building his house.

I tend to travel alone most of the time (don't need a lecture on that) so for me the peace of mind is worth it; and 4wd wreckers are very expensive. You need to look at where you travel too- we have a lot of muddy areas around here. They will effect your handling (not bad, just different) and require you to upgrade your suspension, do require maintenance and training *MANDATORY*. That said, you can do a lot with a hi-lift for a lot less $$ but more effort on your part.

Howard70

Adventurer
Do You Travel Alone?

We have two expedition vehicles - both with winches. We travel alone a lot and the winch is tremendous security (but not absolute!). So far we haven't seriously used the Tacoma's winch, but the winch on our 1987 4Runner saved our truck once. We went over the San Mateo Mountains, NM last August and were exiting west through Red Canyon. The stream had been running full due to heavy thunder storms and we had crossed it at least 5 times without trouble when my lack of attention at the last crossing 1 mile from the canyon mouth stuck us to the frame in waterlogged clay in the main channel. We'd been hurrying out of the canyon because it was raining heavily above us and we were concerned that the stream would rise quickly.

Once stuck it seemed to rain harder. An hour of winching and digging got us out as the stream was rising. Without the winch I think we'd have had bit of a disaster! Perhaps the "security" of having the winch caused us to go on when we should have turned back, but once down that road it allowed us to get out.

Howard L. Snell

Lynn

Expedition Leader
John B said:
I rarely use mine anymore since shying away from the harder offroad trails. And my time spent in the woods has been with a few other vehicles, also with a winch.

If you dont see yourself needing one much perhaps an Engel fridge/freeze would better serve you in the desert? Thats assuming you dont already own one.

So you're saying he should talk his buddies into getting winches, and he should focus on keeping the beer cold? I like that! :)

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
:xxrotflma That was good!

I use a hitch mounted winch - Front hidden hitch and winch
Another vote for piece of mind.
My navigator (wife) lets me go further now :D

Same story here. Used for moving stuff and others. Never for a personal recovery to date :fingers crossed:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle