Today Eugene, Tomorrow Ushuaia: Overlanding (sorta) on A Big Ruckus scooter

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
You didn't know it, but you need a big, weird scooter . . . :bike_rider:

I was sitting around today, not doing much of anything, when I started wondering if my Honda Big Ruckus scooter was going to work out well for my forthcoming Ewan and Charlie-like motoventure down to Tierra Del Fuego. (Kidding. Totally kidding.)

So, as a public service to the minuscule number of people who even know what a Big Ruckus is, I got out my impressive collection of accumulated-over-decades cycle luggage and proceeded to outfit the moto as it would be kitted for The Big Adventure.

This actually isn't totally parody. Many people own a Big Ruckus because it’s odd, but I own mine because it’s odd and because it has some really interesting attributes, including the ability to carry a whole bunch of stuff safely.

The naked Big Ruckus looks like this,

HondaBigRuckus.jpg
(Credit: Motor Scooter Guide)

with this one-of-a-kind seating arrangement that produces either dual seating,

P1010523.jpg

or a solo seat with backrest.

P1010527.jpg

The uninitiated might be excited about the backrest, thinking it all looks very comfy but, sadly, the angle of the backrest is much too shallow to reach your backbone. But having the useless backrest raised gives you access to this,

P1010524.jpg

a big flat cargo area with many excellent tie down points and a 45 pound capacity. Indeed, many big Ruckus owners carry a cooler or a Rubbermaid Action Packer on the rear. But they’re not headed to South America, so we need better. ;)

After an hour of messing around, the results are as follows:

-- a 2 gallon Rotopax fits flat on the base. You can strap it down or, if you’re really committed to the plan, easily mount the Rotopax mounting hardware through the base.

P1010521.jpg

-- a pair of Teknics soft saddlebags, each of which has a big hook-and-loop flap that attaches to the other bag like, umm, saddlebags, so that the flaps can go over the Rotopax. Then you fasten down the two straps on the bottoms of each bag. A nice feature is that the bags have an expansion zipper that lets you make them twice as wide as shown in the photo, making them close to the size of a medium aluminum pannier.

P1010519.jpg

--my beloved MotoFizz medium camping bag, a really nice piece of work with about 200 zippers, pouches, tie downs and attachment points. It’s easy to attach with a strap to the backrest and bungees to nubbins on the rear frame. This is a really useful bag, with lots of space and ways to hang even more stuff (notably the tent and sleeping bag) off the outside.

P1010518.jpg

All this stuff is tied down way easier, way lower and way more securely than it would be on any dual sport that didn't have permanent racks. And the amount of storage space is enough to manage a trip of considerable length.

But wait, there’s more. The Big Ruckus also has a front cargo carrier that will let you easily tie down something of modest size and weight. In my case it’s a dry bag that works well for tools, tire kit, etc.

P1010516.jpg

And since the “step through” area is sizable and flat, it can hold some more stuff nice and low. In my case, I have a good-sized Molle pouch that Velcros to a flat section that stays permanently mounted on the bike. You can put stuff that you’d want to take with you (wallet, sunglasses, cell phone, etc.) in this bag and then easily rip it off the Velcro and take it with you when you go.

P1010517.jpg

Not that it’s going to replace the GS1200 as the overland moto of choice, but there’s considerable low-stress entertainment to be had with a setup like this. The Portal’s had a few threads about the chuckles to be had overlanding with TW200s, Trail 90s and the like, so I figured I might as well throw this one, with its better power and speed, 70 mpg, and its "interesting" looks and funky riding position, into the mix. You’d be hard pressed to have more fun on pavement or a modest trail.

Give it some thought. :sombrero:

(And, apparently, I am not the first person to notice the BR's unique characteristics, as some unknown-to-me Internet wit went to the trouble to put this together . . . )

The_Big_Ruckus.jpg

ruffshod67

Thats great I've never owend a scooter but I have rode a few and seen a couple in some out of way places.In alot of ways they are so much fun to ride.Everyone owes them self a scooter ride.

LivelyZach

Scooters rock!We've got a Big Ruckus that spends most of its time hanging off a bumper mount on the back of our mini winnie.Its used primarily as our go to store/general campground /occasional side trip vehicle ...never even considered it as a primary overland vehicle before...hmmm...:bike_rider:...nahhhh,too old for that foolishness,gotta have my rollin home at the end of a hard days journey..:ylsmoke:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Scooters rock!We've got a Big Ruckus that spends most of its time hanging off a bumper mount on the back of our mini winnie.
I admit that my first move was to put my XR629R on the back of the XV-JP, but the BR would work just as well. I'll get a picture soon.

(And I'm so inspired by re-looking at my pictures, I think I'll put the Big Ruckus back into my signature line to inspire it. :sombrero:)

hansrober

Adventurer
How fast do you think that baby would go on the highway loaded? I toyed with the idea of doing a local backroad trip on the wife's metropolitan, just for giggles! Its pink:Wow1:so I would have to take her!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
How fast do you think that baby would go on the highway loaded? I toyed with the idea of doing a local backroad trip on the wife's metropolitan, just for giggles! Its pink:Wow1:so I would have to take her!
Well, don't forget that the BIG Ruckus has a 250cc motor, so it'll get up to highway speeds loaded, whereas the Metropolitan, like the just-plain Ruckus, is 49cc. My guess is that if you weigh much, a Metropolitan would be one serious challenge if you go solo; adding a passenger might be a bridge too far. That said, though, on a sufficiently lightly-traveled backroad, one where you are not likely to be run over, it could be fun in a smell-the-roses sort of way.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hi Mike, any updates on your Expedition Scooter?
What a sad lack of attention. My good friend--and cool dual sport owner--asks about my beloved Big Ruckus, and I'm asleep at the switch.

Yeah, actually, there was a change. I got a handlebar mount windshield for it and, by some magic involving close tolerances and idiot luck, got it mounted securely to the frame, where it is turning out to be brilliant. The screen is pretty fair-sized, so it cuts a lot of the wind blast, making a very cushy ride borderline Gold Wing comfy, and the frame mounting doesn't cause any handling issues. The bike might even go a little faster and/or get better fuel economy, but I'll likely never run the controlled experiments necessary to figure that out.

I'll get a picture posted. The shield has proven to be a nice upgrade.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
As promised above, here's a report on getting a decent windscreen setup on a Big Ruckus. (The ExPo forums have 100,000+ members. Someone might care. :sombrero: )

The screen is a Slipstreamer CF-50. It's a "universal" model, sold in a lot of places for a bit less than a hundred dollars. The quality is pretty good, being 3/16" acrylic with no distortion and reasonably stout hardware designed for handlebar mounting. If you put is on an old Suzuki, it looks like this:

Ruckus windscreen.jpg

If you put it on a Big Ruckus, it looks like this:

P1000954.jpg

There wouldn't be much worth writing up if the shield was done just as a normal handlebar-mount install, but by virtue of the goofy "exo-frame" on a Big Ruckus and some idiot luck, I was able to manage a considerably superior frame mounting. Those who have had a few handlebar-mounted screens know that they can range from not-to-annoying to tool-of-the-devil. Attaching a big piece of plastic to your steering mechanism is never going to be a help to handling, and though it's not always evil, frame mounting is a useful goal.

It turned out that the clamps that normally go onto the handlebars could fit around the front cage downtubes at the sides of the light:

P1000960.jpg

P1000956.jpg

It took an absurd amount of time to find where to put the clamps so that the vertical rods could slide into them. Put the clamps anywhere else and at any other angle and the rods either won't fit or will foul on something.

P1000959.jpg

I'd previously changed the mini ape hangers that are stock for a lower, pretty flat set of replacement bars. When the bars are turned to full lock, they hit the screen and flex it forward a bit. It's not enough interference to have any real effect; you can have full lock if you want it.

Part of the goodness of this setup is that it is rock solid. Two things help make it solid. The first is that the back of the screen is pressed up against the turn signals, which steadies the screen and eliminates vibrations. A couple of foam circles were put in place to stop scratching:

P1000958.jpg

It also worked out to press the back of the screen against a frame section right above the headlamp. In this case, a short piece of pipe insulation provides the cushioning:

P1000957.jpg

There are two big advantages to having the screen. The expected one is that the wind blast is gone. The Big Ruckus has a riding position where you sit up straight, lower back against the backrest, knees bent at a right angle, arms relaxed in front of you. It's a wonderfully comfortable setup, except that once you're going 60 mph or so, you become the aerodynamic equivalent of a barn door. The screen directs that around you, and there's no back pressure that I've noticed.

I like to look over the screen, so I've got it set as low as it will go. This means my head is in the air coming up off the top of the screen. It's a little bit turbulent, but not bad, and the overall comfort improvement at freeway speeds is well worth it. Sometime I'll get around to seeing what life is like with the screen higher.

The other big thing is that the screen moves the air up enough to keep the rain from hitting your face shield. Rain is not unknown in the Pacific Northwest, so the screen is an important feature for much of the year. But the fact that the screen comes off in, literally, fifteen seconds, means that it's no problem to revert to the racy version.

P1000966.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the top speed and fuel economy may be a little higher with the shield, but not enough to be sure. The negatives are that the handling can be affected a bit by a gusty wind from an angle (though less, I'm sure, than if it were handlebar mounted). There's also the subjective question as to whether it makes the bike look nerdier, though with the Big Ruckus, that ship may have already sailed in many people's mind.

Also got a throttle lock mounted:

P1000964.jpg

and took the Seattle Sports dry bag from the XV-JP to mount on the front rack, since it pretty much looks like it was made for the purpose:

P1000962.jpg

More later, if anything happens . . . though I can't imagine what it'd be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12