Toilet option in pop-up camper?

My wife and I once traveled by Volvo car and slept in tent. Later we had a JKU, which could take us further than a grated road. Now, with a growing family, we wish to once again get back into the more wilderness (see photos), but with a few more creature comforts (toilet option, warm water).

We’ve debated a variety of set-ups. The van (Winnebago, Roadtrek or Sportsmobile) received consideration, but I think the truck and pop-up camper is going to win because of price point and overall versatility. We’re truck length conscious, so our preference would be to keep the set-up as short as reasonably possible on a 3/4-ton truck. All that said, I have a question I was hoping I could get some help with:

Since a toilet option is a must (per wife, for her and our young child), do people have much of a thought on a built in cassette toilet (such as FWC Grandby or Hallmark K2) vs. a porta-potty (such as Hallmark Milner)?

lake.jpglake2.jpg

Desertdave

In a Grandby or Hawk (FWC) if you wish a cassette toilet, only available with the front dinette floorplan. Since that floorplan was our choice, we had the option of either style toilet. My girlfriend preferred the seating position on the cassette, so that is what I bought. I do not regret it myself. I would also probably be happy with the porta potty, since our primary use is during the night, for those all-too-frequent pee breaks. The porta potty would need to be hauled out of the storage spot and placed in the aisle in front of the doorway for use, not an issue after bedtime. There is some additional storage depth in the cabinets with a porta potty, since it is moved out for use, while the space above the built-in cassette must be kept clear for the torso of the user.

I think the 'maintenance' of a cassette is about as easy as can be. I find it simpler and easier than even a black tank style toilet, which is what I had in a previous camper. I imagine a porta potty is probably the least enjoyable in that regard, but not having experience, I can only imagine, not speak from personal experience.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I was in a similar boat when building my van: a toilet arrangement was a must for my neophyte camper wife and our young daughter. We have used a couple of different porta-potti's, and we love them. On my latest revision of my interior, I even built a dedicated cabinet for the potti:

dometic-potti.gif

With both the Thetford and Dometic toilets, dealing with the waste is exactly the same as a cassette toilet, except you move the fresh water tank out of the way first. I just unclip the seat/fresh tank (the white part) and set it aside, then carry the waste cassette to any toilet or blackwater drain (some folks have a drain/cleanout in a convenient spot). Pivot the pour spout into position, unscrew the cap, tilt and pour. I usually re-seat the cap, add some extra water, then "swish" everything around rinse it once, and then I'm done. Add another dose of Enzyme/Deodorizer liquid, then refill the fresh water tank, and I'm good to go. I've never been splashed or had any issues with emptying the tank. No muss, no fuss.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
We have a front dinette FWC Grandby and opted for the extra cabinet space instead of the cassette toilet. Instead we carry a PETT toilet and WAG bags along with Little John urinals for night time. We also have a Lady J adapter for my wife. The PETT toilet takes very little space when compared to a cassette or portable toilet and stores in the bottom cabinet we gained from extra storage. We have a 7 year old son. This set up works for us.

Also the Grandby with 8' floor is carried in a standard 6.5' bed with the tailgate down.

Desertdave,

Thanks for your insight. We would be in the same situation, mainly for overnight use us and likely ATC for our daughter...

You bring up another important point, which is cabinet space. Do you feel you have enough in your front dinette set-up with the cassette toilet? This is another important consideration, since it seems there is pretty limited storage space for easy access to cook and kitchenware.

Herbie,

With your wife and son using the porta-potti, how often do you have to dump it? Since you keep it right behind the driver seat, any issue with smell?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Herbie,

With your wife and son using the porta-potti, how often do you have to dump it? Since you keep it right behind the driver seat, any issue with smell?

No issue with smell, ever. The way the system closes up when not in use, it's basically airtight. (In fact, operating instructions call for you to "burp" the system with the opening lever prior to use, in case of altitude/atmospheric changes.) We started with the Thetford 135 carried right between the front seats. I made a riser stand that doubled as a way to strap it down in transit and it made a sort of center console:

IMG_20150104_112149.jpg

There was an occasional sloshing sound on rough roads, but no odor. The only downside was that the 135 has a tiny waste tank, about 2 gallons. With my wife and daughter using it for everything, and me watering the local flora as much as possible, we could just about do a 3-day weekend on that tank. We did have a full tank on more than one occasion, though.

When I built my new cabinet behind the driver's seat, it was specifically sized to let me put in either the Dometic I have now, or a Thetford 550p, both of which have roughly double the capacity (5g or 5.5g, respectively), which translates to zero worries for short trips. If we were going more than 3-4 days, I might start to get concerned about capacity, but then again we don't often stay in a single spot for 4 days, and the nice thing about the cassette system is that you can dump it in any toilet. If I was starting to worry about it while underway, I'd just dump it when we stopped for fuel.

EDIT: One more plus to a portable toilet vs. a cassette is that if you (or 2nd owner) later decide you don't need/want the toilet, the cabinet space is usable for storage, whereas a dedicated cassette is a fixed item.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'd look for a Northstar TC650 if you're going with a shortbed extracab domestic 3/4 truck. It's quite roomy and they are out there used at a huge savings and yes with a Thetford cassette toilet. Lots of storage and windows.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I want to bring importance to what herbie said about "burping" the dometic porta potty. Especially if you climb from 1000' up to 8700'. Don't ask how I know. :(

I've had (do have) two different dometic potties. Unfortunately with my fleet I had to buy the smaller one and the tank is very small. I imagine the hawk fits the larger one and I definitely recommend it. Really, we only use ours for #1. Mainly the wife. The deal is I dump it, but if she uses it for anything else, she cleans it. ;) we also carry wag bags.

Never had any issue with smells or leaking. Dumping isn't that bad, seems to be the exact same as a cassette toilet.

We have a forward dinette fleet. My wife and I, 19 month old daughter and a son on the way. We found it is plenty of room for us, although some shuffling is involved with gear. The Hawk with forward dinette is wider and taller. Plenty of space for your little one to sleep in the dinette bed, easy to get out of bed and go outside, use potty, make coffee etc without disturbing someone on the dinette. The other floor FWC plans will be tricky if you worry about the little one rolling off of a narrow bed, or want to be able to do anything with the other bed made up.

MINO

Adventurer
We have a front dinette FWC Grandby and opted for the extra cabinet space instead of the cassette toilet. Instead we carry a PETT toilet and WAG bags along with Little John urinals for night time. We also have a Lady J adapter for my wife. The PETT toilet takes very little space when compared to a cassette or portable toilet and stores in the bottom cabinet we gained from extra storage. We have a 7 year old son. This set up works for us.

Also the Grandby with 8' floor is carried in a standard 6.5' bed with the tailgate down.

2nd on the PETT. I've even discarded the "cover" for a few more inches of space.
One bag can take multiple er, "number 1s" if you carry a tub of extra powder. I usually buy the Wag Bags in bulk, costing about $1 a bag.
But because they are biodegradable, the zip-locks tend to come apart as it ages. Wife and tailgating buddies love it.

The only issue I have with it is when we winter camp. The plastic get's cold and is much harder to fold the legs - nearly pinching my fingers every time.
Guess I'd rather deal with that than dumping a cassette or tank.

My camping buddy has gone with a low-cost composting toilet. Basically a bucket to do your business, and another bucket full of peat-moss to scoop over the waste.
That's a whole other animal. Buddy's wife does not like this solution. Wishes she had the PETT instead.

EMrider

Explorer
No issue with smell, ever. The way the system closes up when not in use, it's basically airtight. (In fact, operating instructions call for you to "burp" the system with the opening lever prior to use, in case of altitude/atmospheric changes.) We started with the Thetford 135 carried right between the front seats. I made a riser stand that doubled as a way to strap it down in transit and it made a sort of center console:

IMG_20150104_112149.jpg

There was an occasional sloshing sound on rough roads, but no odor. The only downside was that the 135 has a tiny waste tank, about 2 gallons. With my wife and daughter using it for everything, and me watering the local flora as much as possible, we could just about do a 3-day weekend on that tank. We did have a full tank on more than one occasion, though.

When I built my new cabinet behind the driver's seat, it was specifically sized to let me put in either the Dometic I have now, or a Thetford 550p, both of which have roughly double the capacity (5g or 5.5g, respectively), which translates to zero worries for short trips. If we were going more than 3-4 days, I might start to get concerned about capacity, but then again we don't often stay in a single spot for 4 days, and the nice thing about the cassette system is that you can dump it in any toilet. If I was starting to worry about it while underway, I'd just dump it when we stopped for fuel.

EDIT: One more plus to a portable toilet vs. a cassette is that if you (or 2nd owner) later decide you don't need/want the toilet, the cabinet space is usable for storage, whereas a dedicated cassette is a fixed item.

We've had the same model Thetford in a cabinet at the back of our SMB for ten years.

It is by far the family's favorite creature comfort.

Super easy to use and clean with no odor.

The capacity is small, but that keeps space free for other storage and I am fine emptying it more frequently.

R

Tazman

Adventurer
We have ordered a Kimberley with a composting toilet. I have used porti potties, chemical toilets, and systems with holding tanks. For ease of use, eliminating dumping tanks, odor from use, ..... I ordered a composting toilet. Although I have not taken delivery yet, I am very excited to use and operate this toilet during our travels. For OUR needs, the composting toilet seems to be the best solution.

longhorn1

Observer
We have the Grandby - front dinette and opted for the extra storage. We had FWC leave the doors off the lower cabinet, cut 14" off the center of the cabinet face-plate at the floor and slide the Curve Porta-Potti into that space and have a curtain rod and curtain to cover the space.

smlobx

Wanderer
My wife had just two non negotiable requirements for her to go remote camping. A hard side (at least partially) and a potty.

Since we have an 8' F-350 SRW cc we ended up ordering a Hallmark Everest with the side dinette and a cassette toilet. It's amazing how roomy it felt compared to other pop ups we looked at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger