Tom Sheppard and his G-Wagen

Momrocks

Adventurer
Tom Sheppard's VDEG is the bible, and I also pore over his articles on packing (and the rest!), but on this point... I just can't see the trade-off being worthwhile. There's nothing basic about packing and managing jerry cans full of diesel. I'm taking this as evidence of a foible, and that he really is just human after all... :)

I agree with you Michael. There are two sound principles in play, having weight low and centered, but those are far from the only factors that need to be considered when transporting jerry cans of fuel. I am pretty sure this solution would meet stark criticism around here if it had been displayed by a less credentialed traveler.

You know as well or better than most that all the pre-planning and sound theory used in trip preparation will only get you just past the departure point. After several weeks on the road, packing, routines and equipment used just sort of organically occurs. We may anticipate we are going to treat a given situation a certain way but when faced with the situation day in and day out, refinements are made that fit the circumstances. Adaptation and adjustment, trial and error...have I missed any others? :D

`

762X39

Explorer
I just ordered VDEG version 2.1 and QFAT from my local bookstore (an independant, not one of the chains). Only $120 for the 2.The lady at the desk made my day (I didn't realize that there was another printing of VDEG or that it would be priced realistically). I am looking forward to some reading on the cottage front deck:wings:
Shown is my 4x4 Overland poser look circa 1994:)

Attachments

• 84 Niva.jpg
    84 Niva.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
Hey Scott, is Tom's G the same W/B as this 3dr???

300GD-orange-2.jpg

I don't have a good side shot to know if it's a mid or long W/B rig but I LOVE it. I think this is one of the few trucks that could steal my heart away from a 70Series Troupy... And that's saying alot for me :D I think this is my favorite model (with or without the small window in the rear) and I'd LOVE to have all the neat added features Tom has added, I espescialy LOVE the fresh-air inlet/vents, that is SO cool. I also love the ability to select the axle ratings F/R, it just add's to the awesome utility of these trucks and their dedication to making onbe hell of a 4wd what ever the customer thinks that is for their particular needs... and no matter what you get F/R selectable lockers :D cause, well every 4wd SHOULD have those. THAT is a marketing/engineering aproach I can get behind eh.

I keep seeing a guy localy (SE Portland) with a great olive-drab G and it's just such an awesome looking truck. Any Portland area guy's/gals who know who this is??? I already tracked down one neighbor with some zawesome Rovers on this board, just wondering if maybe the G-Wagen owner is here as well, you never know on The Portal eh ;)

Anyway back to Tom's awesome truck...

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

This is Arnd's G Wagen over at Red Cougar. It's a van body and those little windows are not factory. They were added to improve visibility (from what Arnd has told me).

It'd make a nice little expedition vehicle.

Hunter

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Dave,

This is Arnd's G Wagen over at Red Cougar. It's a van body and those little windows are not factory. They were added to improve visibility (from what Arnd has told me).

It'd make a nice little expedition vehicle.

Hunter
That thing is HERE in the US??? Oh my, if it goes mising it is NOT... I repeat NOT here with me in Oregon :D I LOVE that rig. Thanks for the Info mate.

Cheers

Dave

otiswesty

Regular guy
Here's a pic of my TNOW copy. Kind of like the photographic unabridged version of QFAT.

Attachments

• Post 003.jpg
    Post 003.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 128

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Tom Sheppard's VDEG is the bible, and I also pore over his articles on packing (and the rest!), but on this point... I just can't see the trade-off being worthwhile. There's nothing basic about packing and managing jerry cans full of diesel. I'm taking this as evidence of a foible, and that he really is just human after all...

Tom has several reasons for using jerry cans. The first is indeed the ability to remove significant weight when the need for self-recovery arises. Since, for Tom, this is virtually always deep sand while traveling solo far off-tracks, that advantage by itself essentially justifies the practice.

Second is the concern for contaminated fuel. Using a bunch of separate containers vastly reduces the chance of contaminating the entire supply when topping up in some remote desert town.

Weight distribution also plays a part. With jerry cans Tom can center the load in a way impossible with an auxiliary tank, and the distribution front to back does not change with full or empty cans.

Finally, the ease of calculating remaining fuel is also an advantage. He's fanatic about such calculation, for obvious good reason.

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
That thing is HERE in the US??? Oh my, if it goes mising it is NOT... I repeat NOT here with me in Oregon :D I LOVE that rig. Thanks for the Info mate.

Cheers

Dave

Not cheap, though and has a few things wrong with it last time I spoke to him.

Cracked Windshield (new one included)
rust in the usual areas
needs front wheel bearings replaced

Asking price (last time I spoke with him about 5 months ago) $13,500CAD

762X39

Explorer
My copy of VDEG arrived today.It was quite reasonable ($105 at my local independant book store) and from what I saw before I went back to work, I will refer to it for the rest of my life.This is Edition 2.1 and Tom has acknowledged that among others, Scott Brady was instrumental in there being another printing (thanks Scott).:wings:

Attachments

• VDEG.JPG
    VDEG.JPG
    938.9 KB · Views: 79

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Tom Sheppard in Michael Palin's Sahara Series

I didn't see it mentioned any where on the forum, but Michael Palin actually ran into Tom out in the middle of the Sahara in Algeria during the shooting of his Sahara series. Palin interviews him a bit during the show. Palin crosses the Sahara twice during the series. A great film to check out. You can watch it on Netflix instant streaming.

David

It's great to see an update on what TS is up to these days. I've been a fan of his work since I bought VDEG, Off-Roader Driving, and The Land Rover Experience soon after I bought my Series III 109 back around 2001. QFaT was also a great read. Tom has a unique personality that really comes across in his writings.

I remember watching Michael Palin's Sahara show and my eyes bugging out when Sheppard showed up. I told my wife "Hey, I know who that guy is!"... (Is there some sort of word for Expeditionerd? :D)

Looking forward to the new book. His photographs are truly exceptional.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Look at this diesel filler. It was huge and so completely overbuilt, yet seemed quite commonplace on the G. It is installed to facilitate filling from all odd shapes of containers.
Tom_Sheppard_%20(11).jpg
I like it.
That's one thing I always wondered about, why Land Rover didn't carry their version over to the Defender from the Series models.
Probably something to do with emissions I guess, but seems to me it could have been solved so the versatile filler was retained.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior