Too good to be true: 98 4runner $2800

SGV

Adventurer
I found this on craiglist and am thinking about checking it out, but the price seems too low to be for real. Thought I'd put it out to see what you guys think.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/1019428107.html
Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr - $2800

Miles:118016
Body Type:--
Transmission:Manual
Engine:6
Interior:Tan
Warranty:No
Year:1998
Title:Clear
VIN Number:JT3HN86R4W01938

3k43p83l2ZZZZZZZZZ923b9e5be53ce461771.jpg
3n63k43o3ZZZZZZZZZ923456619ef28361623.jpg

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
craigslist ad said:
"it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests"

In my experience, when someone on Craigslist selects that option in their ad there is a clear stink. Kind of like a salmon eating a skunk beside a sulfur hotspring with the wind blowing right in your face.

SGV

Adventurer
Just awesome. Some are rather obvious like the 2004 4Runners for $3675. This one is in the gray area of possible because it is close.

I contacted a lady selling a 10 year old Jeep Wrangler for $1500 a while back. I called right away, but she told me she had just sold it to a guy offering $1600. She just didn't know what she had.

bucketosudz

Explorer
you have to add the disclaimer to any Craigslist auto's "if is sounds to good to be true, it probably is". There are ALOT of these types of deals. I almost got roped into "amazing deal" on a vehicle last fall. Listen to your gut.

Last edited:

greg mgm

Explorer
I've seen all kinds of internet scams, but not sure how this one would play out.

Does the scam seller try to get paid without meeting up with a potential buyer?

Who would be dumb enough to pay for a car sight unseen? (Ya, like someone would admit to that!)

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
I'd run the VIN and run it to see if it's been totalled. It may have a salvage title on it. Be careful!

ginericLC

Adventurer
Who would be dumb enough to pay for a car sight unseen? (Ya, like someone would admit to that!)

The buyers of my last 4 Land Cruisers bought them sight unseen. I shipped 3 of them and the last one the guy flew in and we went on a day trip and the next day he drove home. I also sold two Cruisers for my friend both of those buyers bought them sight unseen. So it can happen, and it doesn't mean the person got hosed. 3 of the buyers I still correspond with. 2 of the others are out of 4wds as it was just a phase they went through. And the 1 I don't correspond with I could if I wanted to. He's still lurking around.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I've seen all kinds of internet scams, but not sure how this one would play out.

Does the scam seller try to get paid without meeting up with a potential buyer?

Sometimes they will con people into sending the full amount or they will just try to get a 10% deposit.
If they advertise it far and wide they can usally find someone stupid enough to send money via Western Union .

I heard of someone who sent the full amount for a rare Harley,then sent more for shipping when they asked for it and got nothing except a divorce a few months later.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Always Remember the Golden Rule!

"If it sounds to good to be true....it probably IS"....!

(YES!...these same scams are ALL over Craigslist daily!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998