Tool help!! I need a good metal cutting saw.

davis31052

Adventurer
Looking for input on a metal saw to use with my fab work on my expo trailer. I presently have an old Northern Tools abrasive cut off saw. It's cheap, had it for years, and it won't hardly cut a 90 degree much less a 45. The other day I tried a carbide blade on my wood cutting miter saw but it runs too fast and I've burned up a $70 blade after 5 cuts.

Looking for input on a good mid grade saw. 10,12, or 14 inch.

Thanks, Eddie

jwiereng

KC-129C_HR.jpg

here the link

This machine is a joy to use compared to the noisy dusty nasty abrasive chopsaw. It is also nice to set up and do something else while it cuts.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I was just eyeing typical chop saws on Amazon last night. They have low rpm chop saws now set up to cut metal. I was surprised and thought cool. Read some reviews sounds like they work pretty well.

davis31052

Adventurer
While I'm liking the price on the Home Depot Evolution, the cast aluminum base on the northern tools ironton appeals to me more.

Reason being I tried attaching my abrasive cut saw to my mitre saw stand for added support on long cuts, but couldnt get the stamped steel base, like is one the evolution saw, to fit securely enough.

I do like the cut of the band saw set ups, but don't have the room in the garage.

Leaning heavily towards the NT Ironton saw. The store here is just 4 miles away and a just got a mailer with a bunch of 20% off coupons.

PCO6

Adventurer
... I do like the cut of the band saw set ups, but don't have the room in the garage.
I bought a 4"x6" band saw in the '80s and was always happy with it except for when I had to cut an angle on a long piece of stock. I had to angle the vice of course but I usually had to move the saw around as well due to my lack of floor space. I bought a swivel head band saw and that solved the problem. Rather than repositioning the stock I simply rotate the saw head.
picture.php

I kept my original saw and converted it to a permanent vertical band saw. It's a good size for most of the things I do.
picture.php

Last edited:

davis31052

Adventurer
Hey Kevin,

Would you be so kind as to clarify this statement. "... Glad I came across your post. HD gave me the credit diff since I was within their return date.." Did you get one with the stamped tin base and return it for a cast aluminum base version?

thx, Eddie

The Artisan

Adventurer
Hey Kevin,

Would you be so kind as to clarify this statement. "... Glad I came across your post. HD gave me the credit diff since I was within their return date.." Did you get one with the stamped tin base and return it for a cast aluminum base version?

thx, Eddie

Sorry for the confusion do they make a cast alum version?. I was just stating by seeing your post and looking it up to show you, that I noticed they went down in price. I was within my 90 days return so they credited me $42 something.

I am going get one of these though for it
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-M...gclid=COujrMiPzdACFUiRfgodhbQGXA&gclsrc=aw.ds
Kevin

davis31052

Adventurer
AHHH!! Gotcha. From what I can tell, they do not make it with a cast base. Only a stamped steel. Fortunately I have a saw stand already. Just need a good saw.

The local Northern Tools has one on the shelf. I'll be stopping by on my way home from work today. Thanks to all for your recommendations and personal reviews. I'll post up how the saw I get works.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Cool man I looked at that saw as well, northern is 3 min from me. The way the extreme cut was pretty impressive and good for 750 cuts. Replacement blade is only $67. Good luck with it.
I am not sure if you can use the Rage blade on the ironton but if you can you can always replace the blade later.
Kevin

old_man

Adventurer
The large diameter abrasive cut saws have a habit of wandering when you cut tubing. If you are going abrasive, keep it to 10" Personally I have a large water cooled/lubricated hydraulic feed band saw but for small stuff I sometimes just use a 4.5" angle grinder with a thin cut off wheel and freehand it. If you are going to freehand it, wrap the tube with masking tape to give you a nice square line to cut up against.

CuttingBrakePlates-Copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears