Toolbox?

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Does anyone have experience with using a truck bed toolbox for their offroad adventures? Anything good or bad? Any problems with it shaking around to much?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I thought about this option when I first got my truck - I assume you mean the type that spans the front of bed, next to the cab? If the bed is Line-X'd etc. and it is bolted in place, I think the box would be just fine. I had considered one for larger bits of travel kit as small stuff would be difficult to dig through.
:campfire:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:imagesCADZQMBJ: Or, if you're just looking for the diamond plate tool boxs

PICT0203.jpg

Checkout NorthernTool.com under automotive storage boxs, they're haveing a big sale now

:rally_guys: :safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Patch came to me with one that sat on the bed floor and was bed rail in height for almost the full width of the bed. So picture your Grandmother's "Hope Chest", only bolted in the bed of a 4WD.
Heavy stuff was always on the bottom, except for the one thing that I didn't wish to get crushed, which was always under the heaviest item in the box.

I suppose that with some purpose built dividers that one could be made to work. I wanted to be able to sleep in the bed, so that box got donated to a friend's mobile detailing trailer.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
ntsqd said:
Patch came to me with one that sat on the bed floor and was bed rail in height for almost the full width of the bed. So picture your Grandmother's "Hope Chest", only bolted in the bed of a 4WD.
Heavy stuff was always on the bottom, except for the one thing that I didn't wish to get crushed, which was always under the heaviest item in the box.

I suppose that with some purpose built dividers that one could be made to work. I wanted to be able to sleep in the bed, so that box got donated to a friend's mobile detailing trailer.

Sounds like a good option for those with toppers. Where exactly did you get this?

Thanks!
:victory:

JJackson

Explorer
I have one of the low profile cross boxes on my in diamond plate. I only sits about the rail about 2 inches so I do not see it much in the rear view mirror. I still have a enough room under it so slide a 2x4 in on its side. The only thing it that it is not as deep at others. I still find it useful for storing recovery gear and tools and runs, and even cooking supplies when on longer trips. I have recently bough a set of wood drawers from a member and they fit between the tool box and tailgate giving me more covered storage without a cap or cover.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Schattenjager said:
Sounds like a good option for those with toppers. Where exactly did you get this?

Thanks!
:victory:
Sorry, PO got it somewhere. Was a little on the cheezy side being aluminum diamond plate. My local Lowe's carries stuff like it.

Dumpolina

Adventurer
ntsqd said:

Like this? Bought the box at a surplus auction, it was a knack
2250227728_ae6174be5d.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I had one of the standard "gull-wing" bed boxes in my older Tacoma. I really liked the semi-permenant storage it provided, I would do it again if my setup allowed. I kept full trail tools, recovery gear, rain gear, first aid kit and my CO2 components in it at all times. When it was fully loaded it didn't rattle a bit. I added a CB antenna mount, CO2 bottle mount and high-lift mount too. I'd say if you have some gear you need to keep in the truck and it won't limit your use of accessories ie campers or tent beds, etc... go for it!

IMG_0761%20%28Small%29.JPG

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Dumpolina said:
Like this? Bought the box at a surplus auction, it was a knack
2250227728_ae6174be5d.jpg
Right vintage truck, the box in mine wasn't nearly as nice. I did miss the storage once it was gone, but being able to sleep in the bed was much more important to me. With a shell on the bed I can use the voids around the fender-wells for the same storage.

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
Well I got a toolbox today. Found it on craigslist for $75. The same style of box at Lowes was $240. Not sure if I like how it attaches but we will see how well it holds on.
Now I can finally carry my offroad goodies with me at all times and know they are safe! :wings:

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
My truck has had a toolbox in the bed LITERALLY since Day-1. I've never had any problems, but I have its contents orgazined VERY WELL.

My Toolbox is a Delta Model 352002. I would highly recommend it.

inked33

Adventurer
ive always had a toolbox in the bed of my trucks, they are great for secure storage. biggest piece of advice i can give you is to buy a quality box the first time. i learned the hard way and had expensive tools ruined from a cheap toolbox. the first big rain after i bought it my tools were sitting in a few inches of water. basically that $125 toolbox cost me close to $500 in tools. weathertight makes the best toolboxes on the market but they are pricey

Last edited:

soonenough

Explorer
I have a low proile toolbox mounted in my Tacoma - almost exactly like the one SAR_Squid79 posted, except not quite that deep. Mine is a Tradesman brand (exactly the same as the toolboxes sold at Home Depot under the Husky brand). It's probably not the nicest available, but I got it from a guy on Craigslist for $140 in mint condition and only 2 months old.

I haven't had any problems with it offroad, although I don't really wheel that hard or often. I bought a roll of toolbox liner at Lowe's for like $15 and lined the bottom of the box with it. It does a great job from keeping stuff from moving around. I mounted mine with six 3/8" bolts and washers slid inside the factory bed rails (two on each side and two along the back); it's rock solid.

EDIT: found a pic of the same toolbox in a Tacoma. I saved this pic from the TTORA forums a while back; can't remember whose truck it is.

Attachments

• Husky Low Profile Truck Box 001.jpg
    Husky Low Profile Truck Box 001.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 59

J_wings24

Observer
Has anyone had any experience with "UWS Blue Series" boxes? I've been looking to go this route (bed box) and I'm trying to find a good company to buy.

Thanks guys (and gals),
joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan