Top Ten Vehicle Modifications for Overland Travel

David Harris

Expedition Leader
The 70 series really is the best base vehicle for exploring the developing world. That is not to say it doesn't have stiff competition and it's own compromises (principally refinement and occupant comfort).

So why don't we all drive 70 Series Cruisers? Why hasn't say, Tom Sheppard for example, driven one all these years in the Sahara? Toys have advantages in durability and reliability, of course. There is good parts availability for them as well (but why would you need parts availability if they are so reliable?) Beyond those things there is no logical reason to choose one over many other 4x4's. In terms of performance, the suspension capability is lacking compared to other designs. The approach, departure and breakover angles are less than others'. Their track is narrow and they are top heavy as well. They weigh an incredible amount for their size. And, like you say, in terms of comfort, bouncing along in one of those on a corrugated track for any distance can not be that fun (think high-rate leaf springs).

Please don't consider this the opening salvo in a debate on the greatness of the Land Cruiser. I'm just going through these points to illustrate how it would be more useful to discuss the pros and cons of each vehicle rather than simply presenting them in a top ten ranking where the emphasis is on their strengths.

David

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
That is part of the fun. Lots of people don't drive 70 series trucks around the world, although they are the most common choice from countries they are available from. I drive a Discovery against my better judgement because I love the car, but I am aware of it's limitations. A G-wagon is ultimately a better choice but suffers from a near non-existent support infrastructure.

I love to debate such things, but in the end, a 70 series is the most logical choice- but not always the best for an individual. That is where research and compromise comes to play along with heavy dose of "gut". :costumed-smiley-007

SafariPacific

Adventurer
I believe the parts availability point can be best summed up as insurance. No one plans to have a problem, but sometimes things happen regardless of reliability.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
As to the Hummer question, despite how much as I love these machines, I have to agree with Scott.

See, I drove an M997 on the leading edge of the battle space during combat operations from Kuwait to Baghdad during the invasion in 2003 with 2nd Battalion 5th Marines (infantry). We had some harrowing experiences in that machine and it never let us down, although it did decide to shed my pack crossing the berm the first night leaving me without a change of socks or skivvies for the next month but I digress ;)

It's a peerless machine IMO in the open spaces and very very tough but in tight confines and built up areas it's not ideal. Then there is the maintenance bill and parts availability as was stated earlier, these things need OEM stuff IRT drivetrain spares. No bailing wire and duct tape fixes for AM General thank you. Expensive to own/operate and they're thirsty beasts as well...

As good/cool as they are, I can see many reasons to not pick one for an overlanding platform. It screams " money, guns, and gringos"...

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Making A List, Checking It Three Times

YES! By all means make a list, give your opinion, and pick a winner!
Then let's all get on down the road :smiley_drive:

The problem with much professional editorial content (print, online, it really doesn't matter) is that strong opinions are rarely stated. Whether you believe it's because the writer doesn't want to offend 'the advertisers' or simply doesn't have a critical mind or specific testing criteria, the results are often the same. Soft, less valuable conclusions.

Even when we know we don't agree with a particular published opinion, at least we have a clear view of the perspective of the writer, this in turn can help reinforce or modify our existing opinions.

One blessing and curse of the web/message boards is that it's very easy for people to comment on a stated position. 99% of the time the comments (either Pro or Con) are thoughtful.

Though I'm concerned about the price of fuel and utility vehicle & truck availability in the future, I'm hoping for an ever expanding/evolving list of vehicles from which we can choose for off-highway overland travel. I love my trucks, but I would rather go in a car than not go at all. :elkgrin:

Cheers!

I respectfully disagree with some of the recent posts. A conclusion is a valuable tool.

However, I will agree that it should be assumed that the adventure is far more important that the method, but the question should still be debated and documented. snip.......

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Well, there you go. It all comes back to reinforcing post #54; it's all about deliberate planning and mission analysis, therefore get a 70-series Toyota if you absolutely, positively want to complete your trip.

No worries -- just finishing up the egg nog; makes this thread infinitely more palatable. :coffeedrink:

Toyotero

Explorer
it's all about deliberate planning and mission analysis, therefore get a 70-series Toyota if you absolutely, positively want to complete your trip.

HA!

Yeah. And did you happen to notice how every bush station they came to had a bunch of guys with a lot of experience fixing those trucks? :)

Of course, that is because nothing else had made it out there yet. It's like faulting the Amish for only knowing how to repair horse drawn buggies.

:p

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Thanks Toyo for the back-up.

(I was going to point out the fact that Oryx has 3 (THREE) Land Rovers because it was hard to tell which one would actually run at any given time, but he already took me to the wood shed on that one a while back. Don't go there!)

Adventurer
I wonder what percentage of members here, actually travel around the world, off their home continent, or out of province/state with their vehicles?

I know, I don't. But I do go camping, and I consider my truck with all the added junk, as a "camping truck",

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle