Torklifts on 1st gen tacoma DC

Torklift doesn't seem to recommend putting their product on a 1st gen double cab-- but I'd swear I'd seen it done... but maybe I'm mis-remembering?

I'm about to buy a FWC, and it comes with turnbuckles and torklifts, but there's six inches of snow here, and neither myself nor the seller is excited to demount and remount them just to see if they work ;)

Anybody done this?

Thanks in advance!
-eric

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t work. You will need to drill the springs though and that’s more like milling than drilling.

I installed a 2k helper spring from Hellwig, Timbrens front and rear and decent shocks when I was hauling a 4wheelcamper shell. Was happy with the performance on my Taco.

I have Torklifts on my current F150 and it’s night and day improvement and plan to move them to whatever truck I have. I would drill the springs in a heartbeat to install the Torklifts on my current 01 Taco if needed.

Thanks for the response!

You've lost me a bit with drilling the springs... I can see where the front attachment point for the springs could get in the way of the bracket... how exactly would you drill them to solve the problem?? IMG_20210416_222854.jpg
I don't have the torklifts with me, as they are being sold with the camper... I was hoping to be able to bolt them on without modifications, but sounds like that's a bit much to hope.

Fortunately, the seller can deliver the camper to me.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Ha ha I’m sorry. I thought you were referring to the Torklift stable load system. Suspension enhancements. I have those and the Torklift tie downs on my F150. If you google Torklift stable load, you’ll see what I was referring to. They do work really well and I would suggest them for your truck, if they fit.

I think you may have rear door interference with the front tie downs trying to use the Torklift ones. I have the extended cab version of your truck and it looks like the tie down would hit your truck near the rear doors, assuming same frame between our trucks. I know they are very similar with different cab mounts. A lot of people install rock sliders and add a tie down point off of those. Direct to the frame and added protection for the truck.

Sorry again for the confusion.

Best,
Jorge

surlydiesel

Adventurer
And to further follow up. I thought all FWC tied down directly in the bed. My camper did that and I believe they are all setup to do that from the factory. I could very well be wrong.

That is why my first post was about suspension and not tie downs. I assumed you didn’t need external tie downs.

well, the previous owner had his tied down externally, (2nd gen DC), and the purchase comes with the torklifts, and I was concerned there wasn't room to tie down internally, as there's no space in front of the wheel wells. I did find that there was an FWC kit for at least the 2nd gens, but it is crazy expensive, even used. That said, I might eventually prefer to go to internal tie-downs. That may depend on whether it squeezes into my garage. If it doesn't, I'll be taking the camper on and off a lot more.

I was hoping to do a test fit today, but now we are suddenly getting a huge winter storm warning, so I'll have to wait, I guess.

Meanwhile, I'll solicit opinions on suspension upgrades. My priorities:

1. Safety running near max payload.

2. Not too hard to install (I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but I have not done a lot of automotive work--alternators, thermostats, that sort of thing. Did do rear shocks once...) Of course, if it's just a 1/2 - 1 hour of labor, I might rather have a shop do it anyway ;)

3. Not too expensive

4. Nice ride without the camper (least important, although I have to admit I don't know how bad this could get!)

Thoughts? The truck currently has stock suspension, I believe, TRD package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12