Total Composites and Ventilation

ReluctantTraveler

They are stripped down XL with a 6.8Lgas.

Ford puts this at the bottom of every payload sheet.
"Payload capability will be reduced based on trim series, option content and passengers. See label on door jamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle"

The second sentence is the most important. My F450 lost 420lbs to options that weren't (5th wheel puck system & sway bars) optional. Brochure weight is 5,320 and the door sticker is 4,900lbs.
OHHHHHH that clears up a lot! I'm looking at these listed specs and have never seen one configured in the wild that gets that payload. Dots connected!

andy_b

Just to be clear: I wasn't looking for more than 4,200 lbs payload. That's about the max I've seen listed in the Ford spec sheet for a SRW crew cab long bed.

I appreciate you sharing your real world number, though! I'd imagine the numbers I've seen from TC are "optimistic".

And of course after ranting about not being able to find a decent truck, I just stumbled upon a crew cab F-550 that already has super singles on it. Commercial use, though... diesel with 150k miles on. I realize that might just be a warm up for a diesel truck, though.
Buy that truck.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I don’t have any alternatives, but I would avoid the Tern wildlands door at all costs.

Mine has been closed and latched, but not locked, and swung open on the freeway a couple of times. I now drive with it locked, but it’s an extra step and annoying to have to do.

Additionally, there is no shade for the giant window on it and people can see straight in at night. I ended up putting a sheet of reflectix on it, but now can’t see out at all.

When I contact their CS about the door opening on me their “CEO” was pretty rude and told me, unprompted, I could just return the door for a refund. Keep in mind the door is silkaflexed into my camper so would need to be cut out.

Did you install the door yourself? May needs the catch plates adjusted. I never had one open on me.

ReluctantTraveler

@Victorian since you’re here: I’d love to hear your thoughts on how realistic running a TC Wolverine (8’ flatbed with departure) box on a 1 ton SRW is once you actually build out the interior and load it up with a family of four.

Obviously, the dry weight will vary wildly based on how you have it configured.

Now that you guys have been doing this for a few years, do you have any data on the typical dry weight for that model once built out?

I’m specifically hoping to add about 500 amp hours of lithium battery, a 12v AC, a good sized fridge, and about 60 gallons of fresh water.

Victorian

I love this topic! Please allow me to chip in.
Ventilation:
Right in the beginning we did interior air quality testing. The device showed us elevated numbers of carbon dioxide within minutes. We did the same tests with windows cracked and then with forced air ventilation. As a result and to cover us from possible lawsuits etc we started placing warning stickers on each window of the camper we sold through our shop. I personally, have always made sure we have a window cracked. There is of course some heat loss due to this but it’s minimal.
For example: We spend the weekend at the skihill With our Ford Transit camper. Outside temperature was just around the freezing point. Nothing extreme by any means. With 3 humans and a dog, we only turned on the diesel heater at around 4am when the interior temperature dropped to +16C. This means the heat loss through the cracked window was minimal.

Wildlands door:
As you probably know, we are a Tern Overland distributor for Canada and also supplying our builders with that brand. It comes naturally that we are using all the door and window options from them for our campers. We regularly have ”test orders” through other similiar manufacturers and I can assure you that Tern is still the best In this segment. But like with everything else in life, nothing is perfect and there is always a compromise. The wildlands is fantastic in warm climates. Certainly less than ideal for winter camping.

Real glass windows, composite doors are also available through other vendors. Just keep in mind the cost and weight penalty that comes with them.

In any case, anyone having issues/questions about any of Tern products or our campers, please reach out to us and me and my team are more than happy to help!

Cheers

Victorian

@Victorian since you’re here: I’d love to hear your thoughts on how realistic running a TC Wolverine (8’ flatbed with departure) box on a 1 ton SRW is once you actually build out the interior and load it up with a family of four.

Obviously, the dry weight will vary wildly based on how you have it configured.

Now that you guys have been doing this for a few years, do you have any data on the typical dry weight for that model once built out?

I’m specifically hoping to add about 500 amp hours of lithium battery, a 12v AC, a good sized fridge, and about 60 gallons of fresh water.

With a 1 ton, do you mean a F150 or F350?
Our F150 with the flatbed and Wolverine camper (1300lb) was just barely big enough for it.
An F350 would have been much much better. Without knowing your interior materials , water tank size etc, it’s hard to give you an estimate. But I’m pretty confident that 1600lb or even 1800lb is what you should expect if you are using plywood etc.

ReluctantTraveler

With a 1 ton, do you mean a F150 or F350?
Our F150 with the flatbed and Wolverine camper (1300lb) was just barely big enough for it.
An F350 would have been much much better. Without knowing your interior materials , water tank size etc, it’s hard to give you an estimate. But I’m pretty confident that 1600lb or even 1800lb is what you should expect if you are using plywood etc.
I meant an F-350 or similar, yea.

Do you ever get information back from your builders on typical built-out weights?

Victorian

I meant an F-350 or similar, yea.

Do you ever get information back from your builders on typical built-out weights?

The only fixed data we have is the empty shell weight. As soon as you ad wiring/interior lights/ storage hatches etc that number changes. Therefore every single camper so far has slightly different numbers.

As mentioned above: the 1600-1800lb range should get you everything you need To be comfortable on the road.

Feel free to join our TC owners group on Facebook. You can chat with owners and get real world feedback.

ReluctantTraveler

The only fixed data we have is the empty shell weight. As soon as you ad wiring/interior lights/ storage hatches etc that number changes. Therefore every single camper so far has slightly different numbers.

As mentioned above: the 1600-1800lb range should get you everything you need To be comfortable on the road.

Feel free to join our TC owners group on Facebook. You can chat with owners and get real world feedback.
Oh sweet, didn't know that existed! Thanks!

And if you're at all comfortable sharing what your Wolverine model looks like inside, I'd love to see it (but no worries if not).

andy_b

@andy_b that is extremely helpful!

So that’s fully loaded with water and everything? Do you have any pics of what your interior looks like?

In the build thread here. The dinette becomes a twin bed but you'll probably have to figure out a bunk bed situation or something for all the members in your family (unless you can convince some of them to sleep in a tent!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior