Total Composites flatbed build

andy_b

"...too much responsibility in the hands of the end-user." :ROFLMAO:

I would really appreciate any extra photos or dimensions.

I would also appreciate it if you had and could share any part number, etc. so I can try to locate that setup. Of course, I could just buy a Trekker if there isn't much difference in price and disassemble it.

I'm trying to see if I can combine the Wrappon mechanism and a Trello urine diverter seat to replace my Nature Heads 🤔 and get the best of both worlds.

Thanks again!
So sorry for the delay…

Anyhow, I have some rough measurements, but the Wrappon itself is very small - if your backside will fit into a space, so will the Wrappon. The most important dimensions are the clear space below the toilet and the forward-aft orientation of the seat opening relative to the Wrappon itself.

I could not find a part number from my Ok4wd invoice and I don’t see them on their site anymore. It was considerably cheaper, so worth asking them. I worked with Julia (juliao@ok4wd.com).

The 80/20 frame is approx 20 3/4” wide x 19” deep x 20” tall. The bathroom stall itself is slightly bigger than that, but not by much lol.

IMG_9646.jpeg
There is ~8” of clear space below the Wrappon mechanism. I think that is the bare minimum - 10” might be better. This dimension is important because once you’ve made a deposit, the Wrappon pulls it through a few inches before sealing the top. Once sealed, the Wrappon lets it go and the gift bag falls to the ground. If there is not enough space for the bag to clear the mechanism completely, it can impede the sealing of the next bag. Mainly, this is important if someone else used the toilet before you and that bag wasn’t removed.

IMG_9649.jpeg
The Wrappon comes with its own seat which is garbage. However, the original seat ensures everything is lined up right. Adding your own like we did involves some trust the first few times it gets used. There is some space at the front of the toilet - you want to make sure that the front is not too far forward for poops to miss the back and vice versa. Thankfully, we guessed right the first time - no issues despite rigorous testing in the field. Sometimes, some pee from younger members of our party gets outside of the bag because they didn’t sit quite right on the toilet. Not an issue with adults but still kinda gross.

The Wrappon, in any configuration, does not lend itself well to guys peeing into it. Standing and peeing into it is not an option. It is like peeing into a tiny trash can with spray everywhere. Sitting down, the Wrappon itself gets in the way of your apparatus because it needs to be close to the seat itself and as you can see above, the front edge of the Wrappon sits a bit aft of your front end tackle, ya know? I usually go outside or in a designated water bottle. Also, as I mentioned previously, the cost of each use is not insignificant either so if I’m at all able to avoid just peeing into it, I will. Adult women have no issues using it.

To answer your specific question about marrying the diverter and the Wrappon - I don’t think that would work. Although there is some free space, there is not quite enough. The bags have to pull easily into the mechanism so I’d be concerned about contact causing drag. However, it would be cool if you could make that happen!

Despite these limitations, I think that the Wrappon is great. No fan so no noise, no standby power use or extra holes. No need for plumbing or space to accommodate a gray tank. The mechanism alone is exceptionally light. The bags make disposal super easy. For the way we travel, we wouldn’t consider anything else. For longer trips, a composting toilet is a better option.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

WanderingBison

So sorry for the delay…

Anyhow, I have some rough measurements, but the Wrappon itself is very small - if your backside will fit into a space, so will the Wrappon. The most important dimensions are the clear space below the toilet and the forward-aft orientation of the seat opening relative to the Wrappon itself.

I could not find a part number from my Ok4wd invoice and I don’t see them on their site anymore. It was considerably cheaper, so worth asking them. I worked with Julia (juliao@ok4wd.com).

The 80/20 frame is approx 20 3/4” wide x 19” deep x 20” tall. The bathroom stall itself is slightly bigger than that, but not by much lol.

View attachment 816371
There is ~8” of clear space below the Wrappon mechanism. I think that is the bare minimum - 10” might be better. This dimension is important because once you’ve made a deposit, the Wrappon pulls it through a few inches before sealing the top. Once sealed, the Wrappon lets it go and the gift bag falls to the ground. If there is not enough space for the bag to clear the mechanism completely, it can impede the sealing of the next bag. Mainly, this is important if someone else used the toilet before you and that bag wasn’t removed.

View attachment 816372
The Wrappon comes with its own seat which is garbage. However, the original seat ensures everything is lined up right. Adding your own like we did involves some trust the first few times it gets used. There is some space at the front of the toilet - you want to make sure that the front is not too far forward for poops to miss the back and vice versa. Thankfully, we guessed right the first time - no issues despite rigorous testing in the field. Sometimes, some pee from younger members of our party gets outside of the bag because they didn’t sit quite right on the toilet. Not an issue with adults but still kinda gross.

The Wrappon, in any configuration, does not lend itself well to guys peeing into it. Standing and peeing into it is not an option. It is like peeing into a tiny trash can with spray everywhere. Sitting down, the Wrappon itself gets in the way of your apparatus because it needs to be close to the seat itself and as you can see above, the front edge of the Wrappon sits a bit aft of your front end tackle, ya know? I usually go outside or in a designated water bottle. Also, as I mentioned previously, the cost of each use is not insignificant either so if I’m at all able to avoid just peeing into it, I will. Adult women have no issues using it.

To answer your specific question about marrying the diverter and the Wrappon - I don’t think that would work. Although there is some free space, there is not quite enough. The bags have to pull easily into the mechanism so I’d be concerned about contact causing drag. However, it would be cool if you could make that happen!

Despite these limitations, I think that the Wrappon is great. No fan so no noise, no standby power use or extra holes. No need for plumbing or space to accommodate a gray tank. The mechanism alone is exceptionally light. The bags make disposal super easy. For the way we travel, we wouldn’t consider anything else. For longer trips, a composting toilet is a better option.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
That's fantastic info - thank you!

And please, no need to apologize for the delay. You are kind enough to answer my crazy question :)

I'll be working on this for a bit ...

Thanks again!

ReluctantTraveler

@andy_b This was an EXTREMELY useful thread!
  1. For the North/South sleeper, did you have TC build you a box with custom dimensions? The new TC boxes are all 60" East/West queen cabovers (I read something in an interview the did about tipping concerns with 80" cabover). I suspect I'm going to need some "slide out a platform at night" type solution.
  2. The 80/20 system looks like it's going to solve A LOT of my problems, too (woodwork is very much not a skill I have). Thanks for mentioning it!

andy_b

@andy_b This was an EXTREMELY useful thread!
  1. For the North/South sleeper, did you have TC build you a box with custom dimensions? The new TC boxes are all 60" East/West queen cabovers (I read something in an interview the did about tipping concerns with 80" cabover). I suspect I'm going to need some "slide out a platform at night" type solution.
  2. The 80/20 system looks like it's going to solve A LOT of my problems, too (woodwork is very much not a skill I have). Thanks for mentioning it!
Thanks - glad it helped.

This box is custom. For your needs, I'd highly recommend you consider it rather than the off-the-shelf models. Find a builder that can help you design the interior ahead of time. Saves a ton of effort in the actual build.

80/20 is also a great solution - I heard about it from @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING; @StenchRV shows how it can build a truly amazing interior. Mine is much more yeoman in comparison but it has worked out great for us thus far.

ReluctantTraveler

Thanks - glad it helped.

This box is custom. For your needs, I'd highly recommend you consider it rather than the off-the-shelf models. Find a builder that can help you design the interior ahead of time. Saves a ton of effort in the actual build.

80/20 is also a great solution - I heard about it from @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING; @StenchRV shows how it can build a truly amazing interior. Mine is much more yeoman in comparison but it has worked out great for us thus far.
@andy_b Unfortunately, TC doesn't seem to really do custom boxes anymore (at least that's what Quade at OAT told me last week). If I do end up going with a bigger truck, I'd definitely want a custom box to maximize my space and fill in the 8' wide flat bed more nicely.

Globe Trekker and Bison Overland both make bigger custom boxes.

@StenchRV Do you have a link where I can learn more about the 80/20 system? Looks amazing!

andy_b

@andy_b Unfortunately, TC doesn't seem to really do custom boxes anymore (at least that's what Quade at OAT told me last week). If I do end up going with a bigger truck, I'd definitely want a custom box to maximize my space and fill in the 8' wide flat bed more nicely.

@StenchRV Do you have a link where I can learn more about the 80/20 system? Looks amazing!

That is really surprising to hear. Total Composites still advertises them on their site. Maybe try another builder? If I were to do it again, I'd see what our builder, Pronghorn Expedition had available - apparently, they've switched manufacturers.

Another option for a custom box (and probably of a higher quality than most) is BoxManufaktur.

YouTube has a ton of ppl showing how 80/20 can be built up. 8020.net also has a ton of resources.

ReluctantTraveler

That is really surprising to hear. Total Composites still advertises them on their site. Maybe try another builder? If I were to do it again, I'd see what our builder, Pronghorn Expedition had available - apparently, they've switched manufacturers.

Another option for a custom box (and probably of a higher quality than most) is BoxManufaktur.

YouTube has a ton of ppl showing how 80/20 can be built up. 8020.net also has a ton of resources.
I suspect TC might still be updating their site, because they no longer sell consumer direct.

StenchRV

I am surprised Quade said that. I know he has built a box very similar to mine VERY RECENTLY on an F550. I know TC does not sell consumer direct kits, I TOTALLY understand that for quality assembly control. Not that some of us could not do it but after seeing how Quade and his crew assembled the TC box, I was on hand every day, I am GLAD I had them do it! We would have them do it again!!!!!

I have watched MANY of Humble Road's videos....build some quality stuff and THINKS first...LOL

Like Andy said there are many more videos out there, but this is where I started.

Just FYI, I used 30 series 80/20 ordered from 80/20, not the other extruded aluminum brands. Then I made most of my assembly fittings or bought them online from other outlets like Amazon and such. You will find some variations in quality for sure. I found 80/20 assembly fittings, I ordered a few for reference, to be VERY well build but also VERY expensive.

I would build with 80/20 again in a heartbeat!

CHEERS!!

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I am surprised Quade said that. I know he has built a box very similar to mine VERY RECENTLY on an F550. I know TC does not sell consumer direct kits, I TOTALLY understand that for quality assembly control. Not that some of us could not do it but after seeing how Quade and his crew assembled the TC box, I was on hand every day, I am GLAD I had them do it! We would have them do it again!!!!!

I have watched MANY of Humble Road's videos....build some quality stuff and THINKS first...LOL

Like Andy said there are many more videos out there, but this is where I started.

Just FYI, I used 30 series 80/20 ordered from 80/20, not the other extruded aluminum brands. Then I made most of my assembly fittings or bought them online from other outlets like Amazon and such. You will find some variations in quality for sure. I found 80/20 assembly fittings, I ordered a few for reference, to be VERY well build but also VERY expensive.

I would build with 80/20 again in a heartbeat!

CHEERS!!

Our builders still have the option to offer custom builds. Due to the nature of processing custom orders, some are slowly backing out of this and focusing more on the truck campers. We are seeing a huge increase in requests for those. To be honest, it's very hard to make money with custom expedition bodies. Therefore I don't blame any of our builders to reconsider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior