Tounge length?

Mudrunner

Adventurer
I have read through a few of the build threads here in trailers and was curious if there is a "standard" tounge length for an off road trailer? Or something to give me an idea.

MadH8R

Observer
You want it long enough so that the tub will clear the body of your tow vehicle when 90 degrees from center on the hitch... Some guys make them extendable for better trailing on road. Really depends on how you use it.

Septu

Explorer
You want it long enough so that the tub will clear the body of your tow vehicle when 90 degrees from center on the hitch... Some guys make them extendable for better trailing on road. Really depends on how you use it.

If I ever get my frame changed up, I'll make it extendable. Short as possible for off road (yet still able to go 90 degrees) and long enough so I can fit my 16' kayak on it for road trips and whatnot.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Long enough so if the tow vehicle clears the trailer follows without any low speed tracking. The ability for the trailer to go 90° is huge when turning around.

Attachments

• IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 19

JPNCA

Adventurer
Pretty much what everyone's said be able to jack knife it
Although on the other side I didn't want it so long it follow outside the of the tow vehicle trac while turning sharp.
When I crank it hard and just miss a rock with my rear tire, the trailer misses it by about 3"
Just my $.02

149.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
I had always heard (but don't know how true it is) is the general rule of thumb is to have the distance between the tow ball and the trailer axle be close to the same length as the wheel base of the tow vehicle. That is supposed to allow the trailer to follow the same turning arc and follow the tow rig more closely. That's the idea when I extend my M101A3 tongue in the next few months...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998