Tour de Flag, Another loop tour around the San Francisco Peaks

mkitchen

Explorer
I posted up in the Four Corners section that I had three days available and was thinking that a solo trip in and around the Flagstaff area would be a fine way of spending those days. As is normal for this forum, the suggestions came rolling in and a plan was made. I have learned that for me, a vague idea is more enjoyable than a more specific schedule. The goal was to stay on dirt roads for as much of the way as possible and to be on the least used, but still legal trails. This was certainly the plan for this trip and it worked out very well.

My original goal was to pack up my old 71 F 250, Reuben, for the trip and it was going to be me and one of our three Corgi's. The other two Corgi's were going with Mo to a gal-camp (Sisters on the Fly) that she was going to the same weekend, hence, the free time. Got some more work done on Reuben, like getting the CB hooked up and doing some improvements on the wiring. With a 41 year old truck it is easy to find improvements that should be done.

24wbvvk.jpg

On the day before I was to leave, my son, Sam, called me and told me that he was able to get the time off and would be able to go with. Not too sure that there wasn't a bit of brow beating by Mo to get Sam to go. She gets concerned when I wonder off on my own with Reuben and my vague itineraries. The two of us and one well fed Corgi was a bit of a crowd for Rueben's cab and the shell is set up for one solo with a dog or two folks who are close and don't mind sleeping close. So on to plan two; transfer all the gear that I just took out of my 06 Tacoma, Catsup, (yeah we name our vehicles) and put in Reuben, back in Catsup and Muffin Top, the trailer.

14lhagi.jpg

With vehicle issues sorted out, we headed out on Friday, 9/7 from Kingman AZ. We took rt 66 to Seligman, had a great breakfast at Lilo's Diner and then further east on 66 to where it hooks up with I 40. At that point we crossed over I 40 and again followed a very old and abandoned section of 66 and then went south with the goal of getting to Ashfork without going on I 40.

a2xc85.jpg

We managed to avoid I 40 but we did end up on Hwy 89 about two miles south of Ashfork. So back on pavement to Ashfork and then north from there and back on the dirt. Following suggestions, we took off east once we got north of Ashfork and we were looking for an old tunnel built for the railroad. Didn't find the tunnel but we did find some nice country and some fun two tracks to travel that took us from Ashfork to Williams, where we were again on pavement.

34zyvph.jpg

szg9cn.jpg

sno3r7.jpg

2u93jfn.jpg

Topped off the tank in Williams and off again on rt 66 east. To stay of the interstate, we took the turn at BeArizona and it took us to Circle Pines rd and on the Great Western trail. Some albino buffalo seen as we went by BeArizona.

2chp3y0.jpg

I have done the GWT before and though a nice trip, it was a bit too well used of a road for us. We took FR 72 instead. As with most of my short cuts, it was a bit shorter but took longer. It turned out to be a nice two track that put us back on the route to Laws Springs where we hoped to spend some time and do some exploring. Laws spring is one of the watering holes on the old Beale trail. in one of the photos you can just barely make out a name carved in the stone from that time.

28wov2t.jpg

ke69w2.jpg

23koyoo.jpg

1z68gux.jpg

2edrzic.jpg

After Laws, we again took off towards Kendrick mountain. I was going to go a bit south from there but we decided to go north and see what came about. We took some very small two track roads that were just what we wanted. They were small enough that if we were in Reuben, we would have had to push through some of the brush and limbs. Not sure what roads we were on but we had to start looking for a more well used road to find a camp site. I avoid making new sites to camp. A fellow can usually find a good site that has already been used when on the more used roads. We finally did find a nice spot with plenty of time to make a nice taco dinner and enjoy a walk. We had some company at the camp and never did get to find out where they were from. I believe that they were Great Pyrenee's. They never did get close enough to pet but they hung around most of the night. I think they thought Gus looked like dinner, so we kept him pretty close.

1g23kl.jpg

That was the first day. I still have two days to go but I am out of time right now. I will get back and post the rest shortly. Writing about the trip helps me to re-live it.

Mikey

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Oh this is good....
I am still bummed I didn't get to meet up but looks like you guys had a great time.
Now waiting for the rest of the story :)

rambrush

Adventurer
Looking great Mike glad you were able to go south and east from Crookton rd to avoid I-40 guess we will have to take you on a journey and show you steel dam pond/lake and stone dam lake which are there east of Ashfork and onto the tunnel.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Mikey, there must have been a sheep camp close by. Those dogs sure aren't pets, they are 100% working dogs - coyote killer guard dogs.

35.243687,-112.362521 is the turn on the old main line railroad bed to the tunnel if you get back out that way again. And on the way in at 35.239376,-112.363036 is a volcanic sink hole.

Looking forward to the next installment!

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Saturday, September

We broke camp and saw the only other travellers we have come across so far in this trip. We went to one of the trailheads at Kendrick and toured around a bit on the mountian. The year 2000 fire has really devastated the mountain.

24fmc69.jpg

We found a nice two track out from FR 90 and heading north. From there, we worked our way towards the Coconino NF. Some of the roads were FR 90, FR 760, and over highway 180 and onto the 151 (a very lovely road to drive by the way). From FR 151, we took a short cut to FR 418. We were heading to Saddle Mountain. The maps we had showed a tower at the top and we wanted to see.

2466nmb.jpg

Saddle Mountain was all that I had hoped. The views were great and from different vantage points, we could see in a 360 degree perspective. We hit the top at lunch time. A fellow could not buy a better lunch spot for all the money in the world. My poor photography skills do not do it justice. If you get in the area, go, it is worth it. The funny part is that the road to the summit was one of the best roads that we were on and if it wasn't for the destination, I would not have been happy driving it.

2e5tsgp.jpg

2s0bbz4.jpg

15covac.jpg

xgekn5.jpg

2nte4uo.jpg

Leaving Saddle mountain, we headed north to 523 and on to 514 heading east. I would not take this route again. My goal was to get to the Black Rock crossing of the Little Colorado river and 514 was poor on scenery or challenge. It was also very rocky and that got old after a while. We came out at highway 89 and we could have taken Fr 150 that would have taken us close to where we would take off from the Wupatki ruins, but it too looked pretty rocky so we opted to take 89 north to the north entrance of Wupatki National monument and then the Wupatki loop road to the turn off to Black Rock Crossing. The route to the river was more used and in better shape than we had expected.

254x2mf.jpg

15ofi86.jpg

Black Rock Crossing. I was hoping for something a bit more challenging. The crossing had a cement base and three to four inches of water.

30i865z.jpg

29l0il4.jpg

30k4kzk.jpg

Gus tried to walk on the crust but fell through into the red mud. It doesn't take much to get into chest deep mud when you have three inch legs.

fbf3ls.jpg

The reservation was actually very enjoyable. Being something of a desert rat, I enjoy the wide open vistas and the res certainly has big views.

20qz3f9.jpg

2z6wapf.jpg

I have run out of time so I shall get folks caught up some more tomorrow. Still lots of ground to cover.

Mikey

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
The latter part of day two

After travelling over the Navajo reservation for a bit we came across Grand Falls. I cannot believe that after living here as long as I have, that I have not heard of this small natural wonder. It is definately worth seeing and very close to Flagstaff. So if you are in the area, take the time to travel out and see for yourself. Give yourself time to climb down and about, each place you go to gives a totally different perspective.

Below is the crossing above Grand Falls. Again it had a cement crossing however, the water ran wider than the cement so there was a bit washout at that point, that made it a bit more fun.

5ycaoi.jpg

I took more than a few pictures at the falls.

im1cep.jpg

veug7a.jpg

16111lh.jpg

Look real close just above Sam's head, there's a blue cooler perched on the far cliffs.

34ffy1l.jpg

5x6c2h.jpg

2a9wsb4.jpg

From the falls it's a simple run out to Leupp road and back to Flagstaff. Crawler told me about "register rock" and I had hoped to go see that as well but the time was getting late and we had to head west to town. I had told Mo that we would stop by and see her sometime through the weekend and tonight was the only time we had to meet up. If you look at the map above you will see our pavement run from the res to town and then south to Pine Grove campground, where Mo was with her friends.
Catsup and Muffin made quite an appearance at the campground. Here were all these very nice, older trailers in different levels of restoration and then my Toyota and off road trailer that were both covered in mud. There were a couple of folks from Sisters on the Fly that were not able to show at the last moment and their sites were already paid for. The Sisters invited Sam and I to stay at one and we decided to take them up on it. Sam and I were to meet up with Mitch the next morning and Pine Grove was a good site to take off from. In addition to that, HOT SHOWERS, always a arm twister in my book. So we camped out with the gals on Saturday night. They had a pot luck planned but Sam and I thought it would be a courtesy to give them their space. We made a nice dinner and enjoyed the dinner and a beer around our own campfire. For a campground, Pine Grove is very nice. The campsites are very spread out so you are not on top of each other. The campground is close to Mormon Lake and would be a good spot to camp for the Expo next May.

Roughing it at Pine Grove

160vqz8.jpg

Day three coming up.
Mikey

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Day Three or "Travelling with Twin Toyotas"

Sunday morning we were to meet up with Mitch at Crown Raiload Cafe in Flagstaff. By the way, the Crown is a very good place to check out. The food is good and if you leave hungry, it's your own fault, they certainly don't scrimp on portions. Needless to say, I didn't get my size by not eating and I certainly enjoyed the Crown.

Mitch showed up with his friend Eric and we had a casual breakfast (most everything I do is casual) and talked of plans for the day and all else overland related. Mitch has a red Tacoma a year newer than mine and it has a shell where mine has a toneau cover and both are double cabs. It's overly optimistic to refer to a Toyota four dour Tacoma as a crew cab.

Mitch took us back down Lake Mary road to the Lake Marshall road turnoff. From there we headed northeast. We were on FR 128, 9486 and 128C with the intention of getting to the back side of Walnut canyon. The National Park Service has fenced off the route though and we could no longer get to the canyon on that road (anyone have a set of fencing pliers). So off we went looking for another route to the canyon and Mitch did find one. I have only been to Walnut Canyon through the park visitor's center and it was a treat to see some of the canyon less travelled.

s58mbt.jpg

k2z7ld.jpg

Being a bear of very little brain, I forgot the camera when we walked out to the canyon edge so you folks are going to have to go see that one yourself. It would make a nice trip, again possibly as a short afternoon trip from the 2013 Expo (hint, hint).

Mitch then took us in a northeast direction heading up towards where Sam and I broke off the route the afternoon before. With all the rain we have been blessed with this monsoon season, it was more like driving through a Nebraska prairie than an Arizona high desert. We stayed predominately on FR 504 to Leupp rd.

hsui6h.jpg

o1uoj.jpg

24c9mr4.jpg

14skua9.jpg

We aired up at Leupp road and headed back towards town once again. Mitch had one more stop in mind and we went looking for some indian ruins that were very near Leupp rd. There was not too much left of the ruins (Beale spoke of many along this cliff when he came through) but time and construction has taken it's tole.

1s0403.jpg

5odnqh.jpg

After the ruins it was time to head off. Mitch and Eric, back home to Flag, and Sam I were going back to Kingman. I didn't have to be at work till the next night but I was ready to head back. Many thanks to both Mitch and Eric for taking the time to show us around an area that I know nothing about. Mitch was the one who came up with the idea of a perimiter run around the peaks and I jumped on it and was able to do some of it. Later this month I will have a few days available and I may go back to the Grand Falls and show Mo and then look for Register Rock. From there back down to Anderson Mesa and then southwest to find the rest of the loop.

If you choose to do a similar loop, remember that there are many different routes and I don't know which one would be the better pick. So grab some maps and just start putting your own choices together. You will enjoy yourself regardless of choice. A much smaller loop could be put together than the one that I did. It just depends on your time and to some extent anymore, to how many dollars you have in your blue jeans for gas. Hope to see you out there.
Mikey

Last edited:

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Mark, Eric and I had a great time getting to know you and Sam better. I'm already looking for some more challenging routes in the area to include in the perimeter route. We'll have to take FR82 next time you're up, a lot more fun than 128. I think some trail rides during OVX 2013 are in order as well.

I wanted to run up Saddle Mtn. a couple of weeks ago when Kris and I were out there, its contour lines on the topo intrigued me but we didn't have much time that day. Looks like some great views up there! Catsup looks good on that bridge, and the Rez section you did looks like something I'll have to poke around in. You rarely see photos taken from that side of the falls. We'll have to get you out here next year when they're going full throttle.

Thanks for the tips on Taco Mods too. Your words of wisdom still echo in my head, thanks again and we look forward to our next trip with you and Sam!

meadow near Marshall Lake
Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 7.13.13 PM.jpg

The south side of Walnut Canyon
Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 7.13.23 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-09-14 at 7.13.53 PM.jpg

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Good pics!

Once again, thanks for the guide services. You got some nice photos there, a nice addition to the thread. I agree, this perimiter route is but one of many choices. It could be a start though for some pre, post and during runs that could be held at the next expo.

Mark, thanks for the co-ord's for the area above Ashfork. I think Mo and I wll be going up there the week after next.

Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78