Tow anti sway options for LRs with air suspension

'08 LR3 HSE owner here. I've read many times that weight distributing hitches (WDH) are not copacetic with the Land Rover's air suspension system. Basically, a WDH's want to mechanically level the trailer will "fight" with the Land Rover's auto leveling capabilities.

We used to have a fairly lightweight tent trailer with a WDH, and since I was none the wiser, used the WDH it came with. I had no issues, or at least none that I was aware of! We're upgrading to a heavier travel trailer, and I'm wondering if I should consider an anti-sway solution.

This is a great article: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

It seems like most anti sway solutions are part of a WDH system. And an anti sway solution that is independent of a WDH is called Independent Friction Sway Control.

Finally, my question! Is there an independent anti-sway solution that other Land Rover owners here use?

Thanks in advance.

Blaise

I'm familiar with both systems, but not following why a WDH would be unadviseable on an LR3/4 with EAS.

With the WDH you're just imposing a moment on the hitch to shift weight to the forward wheels on the rig and aft wheels on the trailer. Once enabled, the truck shouldn't fight it... unless there's something I'm missing.

Great topic! How heavy of a trailer are you planning to pull? It's great that you're looking into this, It amazes me when I see a $70k diesel F350 on the highway with the truck leaning rearward HARD without a distribution system.

Well, it seems to be a widely cited "fact" on the internets that Land Rover doesn't recommend this. Indeed, I just found it listed as a warning on landrover.com here, in this case for the LR4. My manual actually doesn't say anything about this.

1527887503117.png

Our new travel trailer is like 4,400 lbs GWVR, IIRC, but we will probably be closer to 4,000.

I am not rushing out to purchase anything, however I imagine I'll feel this travel trailer a lot more than our previous camper.

Blaise

4000lb is only 400lb tongue weight. I wouldn't worry about a WDH.

Wonder why LR doesn't recommend it. The strangely shaped hitch mount might not be able to withstand a worst case load (moment from WDH, axial from braking, and shear from the tongue weight)... but I'm a bit tired to be doing stress analysis.

You could definitely run an anti-sway setup without a WDH, it would be called a 'bar' or 'friction' style. However, again I'd dig into whether the reason they're recommending against a fancier setup is because of the weird hitch mount. With a conventional hitch I'm really struggling to find a reason not to allow it...

I saw a guy rolling his LR4 with a huge Trophy boat behind it on the I5 the other day. Looked to be towing just fine and he was cruising along with traffic no problem......I just can't get comfortable looking at the hanging mount with no sway control on something that big.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The LR4 has Trailer Stability Assist - "In order to keep trailer sway to a minimum, the Land Rover LR4 offers Trailer Stability Assist, which detects the natural movement of the trailer as it sways at over 50 MPH and adjusts automatically to prevent the vehicle from losing control of its load. "

Not sure if the 08 LR3 includes the same technology.

With a 2011 LR4 I tow a 19' TT without WDH or anti-sway bars.

The LR4 has Trailer Stability Assist - "In order to keep trailer sway to a minimum, the Land Rover LR4 offers Trailer Stability Assist, which detects the natural movement of the trailer as it sways at over 50 MPH and adjusts automatically to prevent the vehicle from losing control of its load. "

Not sure if the 08 LR3 includes the same technology.

With a 2011 LR4 I tow a 19' TT without WDH or anti-sway bars.

Good to know! Not sure how that works but maybe I'll read up on it when I get some time.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Its a program feature. So possibly your trailer stability assist isn't activated. In that case, the computer isn't looking for it and won't consider it.

I have activated it on my LR3. Can't tell if it is working very well or has a low threshold. I hit a few big bumps and it sure did sway badly. That said, 65 mph and hitting a big bump on the interstate will cause issues so not like I expect all of the fancy computers to overcome it.

Also don't know if Trailer stability is activated with only a 4 pin wiring connected? Or do you need the 7 pin? When I was towing, to "tow" light did not come on. So, that (yay uhaul...).

But yeah, my dad just picked up a LR4. I'll be adding his VIN to my GAP tool and turning it on for him as well.

Blaise

7 pin vs 4 pin is primarily different as it adds trailer brake control. Don't know whether the system would utilize that in the stability assist, but I certainly wouldn't want to tow without trailer brakes!

Blaise

Oh god, those brakes that activate based on the tongue load?

Def not great. I can't imagine towing without proper brakes... did it once with an unloaded trailer, never again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998