Towing Recommendations?

rlepperson

Your recommendations, please. I potentially need a used, quad style, gasoline fueled pick-up truck that will pull a 6000 lb loaded airstream trailer, and carry a 1500-2000 lb payload capacity. As I will use the pickup for possibly 18,000 miles of independent driving and 2000 miles of towing per year (20, 000 miles total), I want to find the most fuel efficient “beast” possible. Of course, I also want it to tow well. Short bed vs. long bed? Four wheel vs. two wheel rear drive? Please, provide rationale.

MotoDave

Explorer
Need more specifics - there are 1/2 ton gas trucks on the market now that can carry 2000 lbs payload OR tow a 6k trailer, not both at the same time (as far as I know of). you're in 3/4 ton territory there, and a gas 3/4 ton will be fun to feed fuel. At 20,000 miles/year I suspect a diesel would pay off quick in that case.

I'm of the opinion that when you need 4wd, you typically really need it, so my trucks are always 4wd.

Short bed vs. long bed comes down to preference. In my area quad cab long bed trucks seem harder to sell so you may find a better deal.

If it were me buying I'd look for a 07-10 ish CCSB chevy, or similar vintage dodge with the diesel. Not going to be cheap, they're in good demand these days.

tyv12

Adventurer
The only truck in a 1/2 ton that can do that that I know legally that is would be a Ford F-150 with a max tow package (3350lbs payload)
Tundra payloads are embarrassing (1350lbs for a crewmax I believe)
So put 4 big guys and some luggage and ur maxed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike2100

Observer
The only truck in a 1/2 ton that can do that that I know legally that is would be a Ford F-150 with a max tow package (3350lbs payload)

How do you get an F150 with a 3350lb payload?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

You can get a tundra with over a 2000 pound payload capacity.

Buy a truck that fits what you will be doing 95% of the time. If you are going to be regularly pulling 6000 pounds plus another 2000 in the truck, then go for a 3/4 ton. There are a lot to choose from. All of the domestic full sizes are more or less comparable now. As for mileage, really that is secondary to the cost of your truck. If it costs you an extra $5000 or more to buy the vehicle you will have to be driving for a very long time before the mileage pays that off...

Flagster

Expedition Leader

For regular towing I don't think I would pick a 1500 truck...and I would consider dually for frequent towing...I have towed 6000lbs a few times with my SRW 3500 and if I did it a lot I would prefer DRW

A 4x2 reg cab truck is usually the path to highest payload regardless of make if you are talking 1500s...are you stuck on a 1500 truck?

I guess if the truck has to be a DD the game changes...I am lucky to have my Tacoma for a DD (weaker than weak payload)...and an old beater one ton for real hauling/towing...

I have been searching for a new work truck/water hauler/tow vehicle to replace my 2000 GMC 3500 4x4 SRW...been looking at 4500 and 5500 DRW 4x2 Flatbeds/stakebeds on the commercial truck trader in PHX. I only use the truck for towing and hauling water to my house and for the few times in the winter that the dirt road in is covered with snow I could either wait for water (I can store 15000 gallons), or put on some chains if necessary.

I would pick a 4x2 for a regular trailer hauler/work truck...the load height is lower too from what I have noticed.

RK-WAR

I tow a 28' Safari LS (6K+ lbs) with my 4x4 Crewmax Tundra and it does great, but as mentioned the 1410 max payload does not leave a lot of room for stuff in the bed once you hooked up. It's no prius in the fuel department, but the power, braking, and handling is excellent. You can gain a couple hundred pounds of payload by opting for the 4 door Doublecab variant, but for the most part you are in 3/4 ton territory f you want to tow AND haul that much weight at the same time. Bear in mind ride quality unloaded will suffer as you progress into the 3/4 and 1 tons.

mike2100

Observer

Wow that is impressive. I guess that's the best advantage for all the aluminum.
Unfortunately to get 3300lb payload you have to spec the regular cab long bed 2x4 with heavy duty package. But then I specced what you would normally find on the lot - a crew cab short bed 4x4 with the ecoboost and the payload was still a hair over 2k. Game changing. Hopefully that's the formula toyota followed with the next Tacoma (reduced weight). Makes me really second guess all the heavy armor on my shopping list. But that's off topic.

So OP - get a new F150 if for the specs you want. You can even get the 5.0 v8 if you don't want the ecoboost and still be well over the capacity needs you listed. The traditional thinking when it comes to comparing 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton seems irrelevant now.

ebg18t

Adventurer
Based on wanting to tow & carry the load I would look at 3/4 ton options. Once you take off the tongue weight of that trailer (6-700#) from the payload you are cutting it too close IMHO with the 1/2 ton. I loved my F250 SuperDuty diesel, comfy interior, decent MPG and towed like a champ. We got rid of our 14k# 5th wheel so no need for a heavy duty truck. But I needed one again I would not hesitate to buy the new one.

7echo

Adventurer
You should consider posting the question in the full size section. As you can tell from the responses you will be hard pressed to get what you need from a Toyota. There are some guys that hang around that section that can help.

poriggity

Explorer
Personally, towing those loads, I'd be looking hard at a 3/4 ton. Gas or diesel is personal preference when buying new. With all the new regulations on diesel trucks, the new diesels don't really get much better fuel economy than thier gas counterparts, and diesels are historically more money to maintain. As far as long bed vs short bed, I have a quad cab long bed and wouldn't have it any other way. I'd rather have too much bed space than not enough. The same theory applies with the 4x4 vs 4x2 argument. Back when I bought my 04 ram 2500 diesel in 2004, the option to get 4x4 was only $1000 or so. I'd rather have 4x4 and not need it, rather than not have it and need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman