Towing weight

aljenau

Hi all - just curious as to why I am only permitted to tow 500kg with my Canter bus - any thoughts?
Cheers
Alan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Very hard to say, given that you have not provided a lot of information.
What GVM and GCM are listed on the OEM compliance plate?
Is there a mod plate that redefines either of these values?
Can you access the original engineering reports for the bus? If so, that probably explains why things are as they are.

You could always speak with an engineer and ask what is required to increase the towing weight. Either that or be happy towing a golf cart... ;)

blackduck

Explorer
Very hard to say, given that you have not provided a lot of information.
What GVM and GCM are listed on the OEM compliance plate?
Is there a mod plate that redefines either of these values?
Can you access the original engineering reports for the bus? If so, that probably explains why things are as they are.

You could always speak with an engineer and ask what is required to increase the towing weight. Either that or be happy towing a golf cart... ;)

Just to elaborate on Owens comment, incase your not a fan of acronyms (Note Im not teaching you to suck eggs)
GVM (gross vehicle mass) is the tare (unladen) weight plus the carried load
GCM (gross combination mass) is the GVM plus towed load (trailer + load)
do the math yourself
if your bus GVM hasnt been downgraded and it doesnt weight heaps there is no reason you cant tow more than 1/2 tonne so long as your tow point is rated
my downgraded 649 can still tow 4.5 tonne with a rated tow hitch although cause irun a 50mm ball its limmited to 3.5tonne
if in doubt find a weighbridge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior