ToyCarrier's WK CRD Build Thread

ToyCarrier

Observer
It's time to start the official build thread for my 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited Diesel. I bought this Jeep in November of 2013 with 52k miles on her. She's now rolling over 58,000 and has been running absolutely great averaging 20-25MPG average.

When I got her:

1401220_10153485979710271_1243892132_o.jpg

The plans: I intend to build this Grand Cherokee into an expedition style rig mainly for light to moderate offroad capability. My wife and I along with our dog will use it for camping, fire roads and it's second home will be the beach. It will need to be able to carry one of my toys in particular to remote places, more on that below.

With the username I have, you may be wondering what it is that i'm actually carrying. That depends on the day but usually it's my paramotor -

rackcity.jpg

launchang.jpg

A paramotor is a light weight backpack powered aircraft that uses a paraglider to take flight. The Jeep will get me to remote areas and from there I will take to the sky. I've been flying for 6 years, it's incredibly fun and is definitely the thing I am most passionate about in life.

Mods currently done:

GDE Eco Tune
DPF delete
custom made paramotor rack

The ever evolving future mod plans (not in order):

MBRP exhaust
OME Lift / 32" tires
Plastidip the stock rims
Turbo resonator delete
Gobi style roof rack
Roof Top Tent
Awning
Skid plates
on board air
Tire carrier
Full size spare
Fridge / or a really nice cooler
water storage solutions
the list of camping related gear is too much to type!

Thanks for checking out my build thread, i'm excited to get started!:smiley_drive:

ToyCarrier

Observer
Here are some more detailed pictures of the rack I built for my paramotor.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

photo.JPG

I used the bottom half of an existing bike rack from Swagman. This setup allows me to swap the upper portion of the rack with 2 bolts so I can still carry bikes or my paramotor.

Even with the fuel container in its cradle, the trunk can still be opened. It is working very well so far! Beats the heck out of having a gasoline smell inside the Jeep.

Good old craftsman mig welder is still laying down beads!

jeepgc

Adventurer
Very nice toy carrier, looking forward to seeing your pics of the WK in those remote locations.

Goosedog

Observer
Haha, I bet going down the road with your paramotor on the back, it looks like you've got a prop driven SUV. I know I'd take a second look.

ToyCarrier

Observer
Haha, I bet going down the road with your paramotor on the back, it looks like you've got a prop driven SUV. I know I'd take a second look.

I've heard a lot of things from people that have never seen these before. "swamp boat motor" is probably the most common.

ToyCarrier

Observer
I feel like a kid on christmas morning right now! Parts are starting to show up for my suspension lift! Kolak Performance hooked me up with an OME HD lift and i've got some brand new Hankoom Dynapro ATM's that just showed up today. I'm going with 255 75 17's all around.

Standing by for my MBRP exhaust to come in, hoping to get everything done at once while working on the lift.

Also in the plans are new diff fluid front and back, oil change, transfer case fluid swap and maybe trans fluid too (thinking I may have the dealer do this one:()
photo+2.JPG

photo+1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman