toying with idea of pop up truck camper

coguzzi

Adventurer
timely post, i just ordered my Hawk last night, now i have to patiently wait a month for it--ha. gives me time to mod my 02 tundra and get my van up for sale

sourdough

Adventurer
Congratulations! :bowdown: The new Hawks have some great improvements over my 2010 model. Did you start with a shell and add options? I was thinking thats the way to go when I found my used Hawk. The PO ordered it nearly as I would have.

coguzzi

Adventurer
we ordered it pretty well optioned out, compressor fridge, furnace, hot water, aux battery, solar prewire, awning etc. I've been through 6 different 4x4 camper vans and knew what i wanted and didnt want this time around, going more on the side of amenities this time since we plan on spending lots of time in it. i kept looking for used, but in the end pulled the trigger on a new to get exactly what i wanted, and when i wanted really

sourdough

Adventurer
Mine is a shell @ 585 lbs. according to FWC tag and my options weigh 350lbs. per the charts I've seen. I plan on running it thur the scales when I've got it equiped with my personal gear.
Hawktag_zps7bd9a4ea.jpg

Last edited:

dizzyspots

Adventurer
Might I also suggest talking to Bill over at Northstar campers www.northstarcampers.com quite a variety but what most impressed me was his willingness...excuse me, eagerness to help me with questions and advice during my search for a USED Northstar,,,which neither he or Northstar had any financial interest in or benefit from. He has spent on 2 separate occasions, about 6 months apart, easily 30 (thirty) minutes each time. I probably cant afford a new TC650...but after experiencing this level of genuine customer service...it will be a Northstar THANKS BILL

NothingClever

Explorer
Hawk_zps937f7cc4.jpg

The Hawk was on a 2 gen Tundra and sets high in my bed. 2 gen's have taller bed rails and cab. I got a good price on the Hawk and will get use to the fit.... or buy a new Tundra.:safari-rig:

I strongly encourage you to keep your existing truck and simply use that space to attach some simple, aluminum boxes. In there you can put lightweight items like leveling blocks, mosquito torches, electrical cords, etc.

coguzzi

Adventurer
I strongly encourage you to keep your existing truck and simply use that space to attach some simple, aluminum boxes. In there you can put lightweight items like leveling blocks, mosquito torches, electrical cords, etc.

that is almost exactly what i had planned for my rig, taken one step further.

zanshin

My 2012 Hawk has the furnace, 2 small propane tanks, no hot water tank or heater, ice box (they screwed up there cuz I ordered it with a cabinet built there, not the ice box), a 110V AC air conditioning unit (that requires a bit more aluminum strut bracing built in), a single vent with Fantastic Fan (which I easily upgraded to the 14-speed rain-sensitive and remote-controlled model), spare battery and controller, screen door, and roll-over couch set-up. I took out the bed cushions and use Thermarest 3" air-pads instead (more comfortable). Scaled the truck with no water in the camper tank (looking to take this out as well, I have no use for it). Came out to be 1225 lbs. That was well over what the 4WC data plate and the options weight list I requested claim.

Since then I have removed the rollover couch and cabinets on the passenger side for more cabin room. If we want to sit inside, we use folding camp chairs. Between always moving the cushions and the top-hinged lids on the cabinets, they were frustrating to use and made it difficult for an old fart like me to get to the turnbuckles.

Camper is on a 2011 F-150 with 5.0L gasser, all stock except for some AirRide bags and a front-located Bambi-bumper dent. Getting Hellwig Pro-Series 2500# spring assists installed on Monday to see if they reduce sway and to make me feel better about being over a mite over GVWR. The truck runs like the bed is empty and I got an honest 15.8 MPG on a 4800 mile trip from KC to Glacier, Yellowstone and back despite the damn ever-present Kansas cross- and headwinds. New E-rated tires are next, after the tax man cometh. About that time, I'll also try to convince the wife to let me get rid of the dumb chrome stepbars it came with.

Last edited:

Petrolburner

Explorer
I have a 1st gen '03 Tundra 4x4 limited TRD with 85,000 miles and just bought a '10 Hawk shell with half a dozen weekend trips use. Both are just getting broke in. My truck has Bilstein 5100's, riderite bags and Toyo A/T E rated tires. The Hawk shell has extended cab over bed option plus jack mounts, camper jacks, furance, dual LP tanks, dual fan-tastic roof vents, 8' awning, aux. battery, flood lights, screen door, front window, and flip over couch. Should weigh in at about 950 lbs. I just picked it up and drove 200 miles home @ 65 MPH plus. Got 19 MPG going empty and 15 MPG coming home with the hawk. I ran 35 lbs. in the air bags and the Tundra handled/rode beautifully. If I toss in another 500 lbs. of personal gear I think I'll be fine..
Hawk_zps937f7cc4.jpg

The Hawk was on a 2 gen Tundra and sets high in my bed. 2 gen's have taller bed rails and cab. I got a good price on the Hawk and will get use to the fit.... or buy a new Tundra.:safari-rig:

That looks great! I'm glad to hear that it handles the weight well. I'm skeptical about how well my Tundra will handle the weight or a camper or a travel trailer.

sourdough

Adventurer
My posting was of first impressions. Must have been jaded some by my excitement of a new toy. I've now done a 600 mile 4 day trip up PCH 1 with about 50 miles of gravel/dirt thrown in. My findings are, it handled hiway speeds up to 55 MPH well but I am disappointed at the buffeting at higher speeds, the camper sets to high in the bed. Off pavement I'd prefer a beefier suspension. I'm thinking my Tundra chassis is getting taxed pretty hard. I works but a better fit with the bed and a 3/4T truck would be much better and preferred.
Oh, and I ran it thru the scales and it came in at 6120lbs. including me. Just under the Tundra's 6200 lb. gross vehicle weight limit.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The ability to stop all of that mass is critical too.
I've got great brakes and a manual trans on my '07 Dodge CTD.
With the 1800# Northstar,I'd still love to have a Pacbrake like I did on my '98.5 Dodge.
Emergency collision avoidance and panic stops must be figured in when you carry these campers.

brian90744

American Trekker
With the 10" room under the cabover I guess you will get wind bufferting, Hold your hand out the window at those speeds a feel the wind affects! Maybe you can install on the truck roof a wind spoiler to divert the wind over/around your camper?? such as Thule Roof Rack Wind Fairings or Yakima fairing. Also you may get better MPG. just FYI
brian

My posting was of first impressions. Must have been jaded some by my excitement of a new toy. I've now done a 600 mile 4 day trip up PCH 1 with about 50 miles of gravel/dirt thrown in. My findings are, it handled hiway speeds up to 55 MPH well but I am disappointed at the buffeting at higher speeds, the camper sets to high in the bed. Off pavement I'd prefer a beefier suspension. I'm thinking my Tundra chassis is getting taxed pretty hard. I works but a better fit with the bed and a 3/4T truck would be much better and preferred.
Oh, and I ran it thru the scales and it came in at 6120lbs. including me. Just under the Tundra's 6200 lb. gross vehicle weight limit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle