Toyo MT 255/85R16 (and comparison pics)

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Tire tools

Redline said:
I wish I owned a Durometer...

Perhaps we all need to chip in and get you a Durometer! As the official tire guy, you should have all your tools with you ready for the next set of tires to fall under your scrutiny!

Great comments as usual.

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Thanks for the post OP, greatly appreciated....even from downunder :clapsmile

My 285/75x16 buckshots havent worn out yet for me to replace them but I am always on the look out for my next tyre.

I was contemplating getting a set of Simex Extreme Trekker's in 32/9.5x15 (overall size is 33.4x10.5x15) as a second set of tyres for when Im offroading only - http://www.simex4x4.com/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=106&nav_cat_id=127&nav_top_id=55&dsb=55

but the cost involved kind of put me off.

These tyres seem to be the perfect medium of what I am looking for, a tuff tyre that I can use everyday that aint TOO tuff that it would be relegated to offroad duties only.

heres me question - original post says that they are 10.2 inches wide on a 7 inch rim - if fitted to an 8 inch rim , would that make em slightly wider????

like say 10.5inch instead?

look forward to your responses.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The measured rim width is just that, what the company uses for their measurements for publication, it may also be the "perfect" or "ideal" wheel width for the tire.

The 10.2” width is the section width/sidewall, which is about average for a 255/85. I have put many 255/85 on wheels from 7 to 8-inches (all my TJ wheels were 8"). I have never focused on trying to measure the section width on different wheels. Firstly it is not easy to do accurately and I don't think there is generally enough difference to matter. The wheel width may make a minor difference in height too but this has not be a concern for me either.

One could argue that 8" wheels would not be as tight a fit on the bead when airing down, but I ran some very low pressures with 255/85 on 8" wheels on my Rubicon and never lost a bead. When I get a set of these I will put them on my 7.5" TDR wheels. You should be fine with 8s. These tires have tough, stiff sidewalls and I don't think you will have any issues with them on eights. The tires do look a bit wider than they are according the the measurements, like all Toyo MTs, because they have the beefy sidewall lugs that add girth to the tire when you look at it.

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
nruller said:
I guess that means I am paying duty...

I wonder how difficult it will be to find these from other Toyo dealers...

If you're in Burlington, just drive down and have them mounted. Get them dirty, and then go shopping for something else, clothes, video game, whatever, then declare those items.

nruller

Observer
R_Lefebvre said:
If you're in Burlington, just drive down and have them mounted. Get them dirty, and then go shopping for something else, clothes, video game, whatever, then declare those items.

I work for National 4WD so I will just get them through them... We pay more for them if they aren't American made.... In this case, they are from Japan...

wesintl

Redline said:
P, ask and you shall receive ☺

Toyo MT 255/85R16E 60-lbs
Toyo MT 265/75R16E 60-lbs
Toyo MT 285/75R16E 68-lbs
Maxxis Bighorn MT 255/85R16D 57-lbs
Maxxis Bravo At 255/85R16D 58-lbs (3-ply sidewall, no picture here)
BFG MT KM 255/85R16D 51-lbs
Cooper ST 255/85R16D 49-lbs

I would love to know what a swamper truxus 255/85/16 weighs. Anyone?

While I love the look of that Toyo 3 bills for one is a little steep. You could run the maxxis for 1/2 the cost.

ShearPin

Adventurer
OK Tire - Canada

Found a good price on Toyo MT's - 255/85/16 - in Toronto, Ontario, Canada at the OK tire chain (Canada wide). Shopped around and this is what I found:

BFG MT KM - $267.00 CDN mounted and balanced
Maxxis Bighorn - $200.00 CDN mounted and balanced
Toyo MT's - $234.00 CDN mounted and balanced

Probably useless information but may be a sign Toyo is willing to deal on the Open Country MT. If you're in the market it may be worth a phone call to your local dealer. First I was quoted a list price of $430.00 a tire. Before I could finish saying "Thanks - I'll look around" the guy behind the desk spit out the $234.00 price and indicated he could have them at 9:00am the next day. I left my wolf rims and a deposit and should have them tomorrow....

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Cool, great rice. How does $234.00 CDN compare to the $252.00 U.S. I can get them for here?

Last edited:

ashooter

Adventurer
Got mine from treadepot.com - five of them for $1173 shipped. Took about 5 business days to get here after I ordered them.

I'm running them on 70 Series Land Cruiser steel wheels with NO weights. Just added 8 oz. per tire of "off-road" Dyna Beads from Innovative Balancing. I just had them put on the truck today so no long-term impressions yet, but they are as smooth at 75 mph as my Bridgestone Revos were. I don't know if the tires are that balanced right out of the box or if the Dyna Beads are just that good, but I'm pretty impressed.

First impressions:

1) They are surprisingly quiet! I know everybody says that, but they honestly don't sound any different at highway speeds than my Revos did... but then my FJ80 has a lot of wind noise.

2) Steering is very noticeably more responsive - scary almost, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Not sure if it's because the tires are firmer, more air pressure, skinnier or what. the tire shop put 65 lbs in the tires just before my highway test drive and I have 54 lbs in them now after doing the "chalk test" to get to the pressure where the tread is flat on the pavement. I was running 40 lbs in my "E" load range LT265/75R16 Revos. I may go down a little more with these Toyos, but I doubt I'll go all the way back down to 40 lbs for everyday driving.

3) Braking is a little less responsive, which I assume is due to the 4 lbs more tire weight than the Revos as well as the larger diameter. Also, when you come to a complete stop, you can kind of feel the treads on the pavement. I'm guessing this is normal for a mud terrain... I've never had mud terrains before, so I don't know.

4) I'm probably one of the few people that thinks Toyo M/T's are ugly... but they are not nearly as ugly in person as they look in photos on the net! ;)

Here are a few photos:

RFrtMT.jpg

255MTs.jpg

SideFront.jpg

8-14-08 Just a small update: I dumped some more pressure so I ended up with 48 lbs cold in both the front and the rear. After driving over some chalky "caliche" and then looking at where the tread was white, I'm guessing this will be about right for my truck. Tires seem to stick to the pavement a lot better than they did at 65 lbs - I was probably rolling down the highway on the middle two rows of tread yesterday! We'll see what happens this afternoon at 70 mph for two hours with it 100 degrees out there.

Last edited:

ShearPin

Adventurer
Sounds encouraging... I am looking forward to getting mine on my Defender 110. They were due in last week but a computer glitch meant a set of M55's showed up instead of my MT's......

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle