Toyo R/T on hardpacked snow - anyone experienced it?

seanpistol

Explorer
Looking at purchasing the Toyo R/T in 35x12.5x17. I believe they came out about a year ago, so someone out there should have a winter worth of experience with them.

There is little to no information at this point on how this tire does on hardpacked snow. I'm looking for something that can grip nearly as well as my Duratracs, but with a 3-ply sidewall. I don't doubt that the Toyo R/T could outperform the Duratrac in longevity and just about every other condition.

Any personal experience, input, or just things you heard through the grapevine?

5086CB66-71E8-4C9B-A35A-59D6A5FBB990_zps5lav6cwh.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Not even close to as good as the Duratracs over pavement snow.

Neither are Cooper STT's or Mickey MTZ's, but those might be a better choice. Some people swear by the Interco Trxxus or IROC, but I think they're meaning deeper snow, with fullsize trucks, and gentle street use.

zelatore

Explorer
As a current Duratrac owner also looking for a more durable tire for rock work I'd have to say you're not likely to find anything else as good in the snow that's also tougher. You pretty much need to start looking at dedicated snow tires to do better in the white stuff than the Duratracs I'm afraid. Just compare the amount of siping on the Duratrac to the Toyo - not even close.

seanpistol

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I should have stated that I'm not looking for a straight snow tire, but want something that does well on hardpacked snow because I commute on it regularly in the winter.

I need a tire that won't wear out excessively quick on the highway, that I can take to Moab, down the local trails with somewhat sharp granite rock, through the desert, and not slide off the road when it's packed with snow on the way to the snowmobile trailhead- where I will also encounter over a foot of fresh snow at times.

I understand that no tire is the best at everything, but I need something that can do it all decently well. I'm not opposed to adding siping to any option. I know a guy that will add whatever pattern and how much siping I ask him to.

Any suggestions based on this better description?

XJLI

Adventurer
I loved my MTZs in the snow. Very underrated tire IMHO. I'd put it right next to Duratracs in the snow and worlds better at everything else offroad.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I should have stated that I'm not looking for a straight snow tire, but want something that does well on hardpacked snow because I commute on it regularly in the winter.

I need a tire that won't wear out excessively quick on the highway, that I can take to Moab, down the local trails with somewhat sharp granite rock, through the desert, and not slide off the road when it's packed with snow on the way to the snowmobile trailhead- where I will also encounter over a foot of fresh snow at times.

I understand that no tire is the best at everything, but I need something that can do it all decently well. I'm not opposed to adding siping to any option. I know a guy that will add whatever pattern and how much siping I ask him to.

Any suggestions based on this better description?

If you spend a lot of time driving in the snow during winter, why not get a dedicated set of snows and swap between those and something else based on the season?

seanpistol

Explorer
Because two sets of tires is expensive. But, I believe at this point I may run the 316/75r16 Duratrac on my current wheels and if I need something else in the summer, get another set of wheels and tires.

Last edited:

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Because two sets of tires is expensive.

In terms of initial expense, yes. But long-term, not so much. By putting less miles per year on each set, tires don't have to be replaced as frequently (unless your rig gets low enough mileage where even a single set is being replaced due to age rather than wear).

photo nomad

Adventurer
In SoCal a lot of the guys crawling use the Goodyear MTR's. Me I stick with the Duratracs as I need them to be good on snow and ice as well. I've had no issues with my rubber in rocks and will be using them in Moab in early October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12