Toyota LandRaider project buildup

mikesta

Cheers to all here

There are some cool builds around but I haven't seen this attempted yet. Taking an 80 Series Land Cruiser and slapping an 18' 80's Sunrader fiberglass shell on top. I've attempted this and geared up for it once before however moving to another state was needed so I had to sell the projects.

Today two shipments arrived to my new location here in Missiouri. One of them is a 1995 FZJ80 - K294 axle code (locked from factory). Someone drank a bit too much and had an oops. I'm hoping it buffs out but if it doesn't, this rig will be used to test fit the Camper.

I also received a 1986 2wd FG-180 Sunrader from California. Its been robbed of its interior and drive train which works for me because its less work to tear it down. I own sunrader.com and have owned about 10 sunraders. I've never seen a floorplan like it and scouring the web still don't see an 18' with the doors where they are.

Plan is to chop the back off the 80 and finish tearing the camper off the sunrader and smoosh them together.

I've got many other irons in the fire so this will be a slow build. Today I was able to get the Sunrader torn apart a tad. I have this week off so I might get to some more on it. I hope its ok and I'm in the right place to document this build here, if not please let me know!

Cheers

Attachments

• srd.jpg
    srd.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 84
  • srd4.jpg
    srd4.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 80
  • srd1.jpg
    srd1.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 78
  • tractor.jpg
    tractor.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 78

4xdog

Explorer
This thread will get a lot of interest. There have been a few projects over the years based on Sunraders. It's a interesting platform. Most have (IIRC) been on a more modern pickup than the original, like a T100 or something. Don't think a LC 80-series has been done yet here. There have, as I'm sure you know, been a number of LC conversions in Japan that look sorta like what you're after.

Don

Last edited:

mikesta

wow, I've gotten to looking around and this build seems silly now. I'm intimidated the the skill shown here on some of these custom builds but wow, tons of great information and tips to learn from. I've got to finish tearing down a 95 year old barn in the next few days, then I hope to get some time cutting up the cruiser. There is some serious brainpower and tallent here!

mikesta

yes, I followed that thread when he was building it. He did a great job on it. It is much more versitile than this one will be, this one will be a little more bulky

mikesta

Bad news... the 80 that I got for the mockup can only be that... a Mockup vehicle. Tor the bumper and front end off a bit to find frame rails bent toward the passenger side a tad so not a good donor.

Good news... thats what I expected. I'll leave it in driving format and start cutting it up for fitment the back end is coming off the 80 tomorrow.

mikesta

I'm lazy so early in the day I pulled the headliner out of the 80 and positioned it in the Sunrader. The sunroof provided a good guide. From this I learned that the Land Cruiser will be 3' to 3'6" longer which is similar to the Toyota truck. Later in the day I pulled the tape and from this, learned that I will be over 10' tall on a Stock 80 chassis. Because of my laziness I haven't really put much though into the interior layout yet. Just because it may not work. And if it doesn't then my thinking would have been a waste of time.

I'm hoping to have the Fiberglass off the 86 truck tomorrow. The 80 is now ready for the cuts but I want to make sure I cut it right (even though this is just a mock vehicle). As soon as the shell is off I'll grab the tractor and hopefully have some pictures of Land Raider beginnings tomorrow. Until then please enjoy these.

Attachments

• HEAD5.jpg
    HEAD5.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 66
  • HEAD4.jpg
    HEAD4.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 64
  • HEAD3.jpg
    HEAD3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 65

Forum statistics

Threads