Toyota Motorhomes

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
My old iMac can't handle YouTube videos worth beans any more, but thought I'd post this one I just ran across, a slideshow video of how an old Chinook is plopped onto a newer 4x4 Toyota. Link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPkC5G55MbA and screencapture below from around the midpoint of the video, it gets painted rather nicely toward the end.

nwryotachin.jpg

getout

Adventurer
My 4x4 sunrader "pokey" is getting a 3.4 and tranny swap.

As if you needed to make the coolest sunrader any cooler. You'll have to let us know how it goes with the 3.4l. I've got a 21' Sunrader that's currently gutted. A 3.4l and 4x4 conversion is always floating around in the back of my mind. It the front of my mind though is just getting the stupid interior done so I can use it again.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
My 4x4 sunrader "pokey" is getting a 3.4 and tranny swap.
You can follow the build here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/toyonlyswaps/261991549848
These guys have been super cool so far, I will let you know how it goes!

Wow, is this Pokey? Totally drool worthy! Any more info or specs on what you have done on the rig?

644194_10151325946319849_1263663230_n.jpg

382277_10151325945804849_640246530_n.jpg

rader

Yep that would be Pokey.More pics on this site:
http://www.vanspecialties.com/gallery/yota-4x4.html

Here's a list of some of what was done:

o tear down to frame of chassis and walls of RV, removal of all cabinets, bathroom, kitchen, appliances, windows, seats, headliner, plumbing, electrical
o Reinforcement of under-coach frame with new, full width, welded-in steel crossmembers and new 3/4” marine plywood floor
o All undercoach/wheelwell gaps filled in with sealants and custom aluminum strips
o Front windows of coach overhead removed and glassed-in, roof cut off and new, taller, stronger, custom-made molded fiberglass roof built and installed, now has 6"6' headroom
o 3-way refrigerator
o under-bench 8000 btu AC unit
o propane hot water heater
o propane furnace
o All new plumbing and electrical, new 1800 watt inverter, new charger, new breaker box, new outlets
o 2 new grey water tanks and 1 new fresh water tanks installed, new water pump
o All new cabinetry and benches
o Corian countertop
o Fantastic fan, bathroom fan
o All LED interior lights with 5 separate zones
o stainless steel sink
o 2 burner stove, got rid of oven
o Roof of overcab reinforced with glassed in wood stringers
o 150 watt solar panel mounted to overcab with aluminum mounts, solar charging system
o 2 AGM 6 volt batteries installed in steel frame-mounted battery tray
o custom steel frame-mounted spare tire holder
o 1” foam block insulation throughout, wall studs mounted to fiberglass with high quality adhesive
o one-piece stainless steel show pan
o Thetford Cassette Toilet
o double-pane custom windows installed throughout
o New memory-foam cushions throughout, rear bench covered in Toray vinyl
o Baja Rack roof rack with custom mounted Hannibal safari awning
o ARB front bull bar with IPF fog lights
o 2 Whelen LED scene lights
o Whelen LED brake lights and back-up light
o All new weather stripping, wheels powdercoated
o New rear ladder with integrated rear view camera
o rear double hitch receivers and welded/reinforced frame extension
o Custom rear receiver-mounted rack/tray
o Cerullo front seats
o New cab headliner
o stereo system with new head unit, amp, 6 speakers and sub
o full repaint

Last edited:

xoblaim

Observer
What is the going rate for a good condition Chinook? The one I am looking at has 180k miles and a partially updated interior (new cushions, floor, fridge, and a microwave.) There is a hole in one of the seams of the canvas. The guy selling it doesn't know when if or when the timing chain has been done on the 20r. I love the little camper, so I don't want to overspend.

xoblaim

Observer
Thanks 77blazerchalet! I think looking through those classifieds gave me enough reassurance to go ahead and buy the Chinook. I am going to pick it up today. I think I am getting a pretty good deal, but I know there is always risk with 30+ year old vehicles.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
...looking through those classifieds gave me enough reassurance to go ahead and buy the Chinook. I am going to pick it up today. I think I am getting a pretty good deal, but I know there is always risk...
Glad to help. Another thing to consider is opportunity cost, one of the only things I ever understood from my economics classes. Could be that a better priced / better condition one may come along later, but the cost is lost time, and who knows what lost benefits from not buying this one now.

getout

Adventurer
Anyone know what it would take to convert a 1982 18' 2WD Toyota Sunrader 5 speed into a 4WD?

This is a pretty decent place to start:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...wd-4wd-conversion-faq-information-thread.html

I'll eventually get around to SASing mine:
http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5249

I'm not moving very quick though. I need a transmission and clutch pedal assembly. I'm getting closer. Just haven't had much time for messing with it. It's all taken much longer than I thought it would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger