Toyota Motorhomes

kcowyo said:
SWR - I've never seen or heard of a slide-in camper on a 1st gen 4Runner and I spend a lot of time online looking at Yotas and campers. I feel pretty sure if there were something available or a custom unit that someone had done, I would have at least seen it or a pic by now.

However that doesn't mean that this isn't an opportunity to be the first of your kind. The Eagle or Ranger model Four Wheel Camper would fit your 4Runner following the removal of the back seat and rollbar. The bed dimensions of the 1st gen 4Runners are the same from the B pillar back, as the 2nd gen ('84-'89) pick up trucks.

Here is a Ranger model on a 1st gen pick up, from the FWC website -
toyota2.jpg

I think that's the 5 foot Falcon model in the picture. I was looking at this for my truck. :)

http://www.fourwh.com/falcon.htm

kcowyo

ExPo Original
It is.

FWC recently upgraded their owners gallery and the old pic link I pasted, is now of a newer d-cab and Falcon. They have pics of mine on their site too even though I never sent them any...?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
That would have been sweet. How did it drive?? What disuaded you from buying it?

This thread make me want to have a simple pop-up sleeping loft shell made for my Gen1... Oh the possibilities...

Back in like 89 or 90 or so, my grandparents drove an old Toyota Chinook (?) up to Homer Ak. to see my Uncle Chris. My grandpa said it was gutless, but the only issue they had the whole way up was a broken overload spring and a blown out shock. Keep in mind that the Hwy (don't know the name4s of those big routes up to Ak) was in a lot worse shape back then too. I'm still jealous of them for that trip ;)

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Not a Toyota, but a Dodge D50 4x4 pop top http://modesto.craigslist.org/rvs/553666825.html
MINI 4X4 MOTORHOME - $2500DODGE D50 4X4 MADE BY BANDIT INDUSTRIES....ONE OF A KIND 1987 DODGE D50 4X4 POP UP TOP MINI TRAVLER..UNDER 70.000 ORIG MILES..4X4 AUTOMATIC 2.6 LITRE 4 CYL..SLEEPS 4..HAS STOVE, ELECTRIC FRIDGE ,,AND GAS HEATER...5 GALLON WATER SUPPLY..AIM THE SECOND REGISTERED OWNER..12-18 MPG....HERES WHAT IT NEEDS..THE HEADLIGHTS ARE NOT WORKING ON LOW BEAM...AND IT NEEDS THE CARBURATOR REPLACED...WHITCH I HAVE JUST PURCHASED..JUST NEEDS INSTALLED..MY PLANS HAVE CHANGED AND I NOW NEED A 3/4 TON TRUCK..MAY CONSIDER A TRADE FOR ONE...209-579-4305...SORRY NO PICS BUT WELL WORTH COMING TO SEE IT IN TRACY CA
..couldn't remember what a regular D50 looked like, so I came up with this photo courtesy of the mightyd50.com site's gallery, no "Bandit Industries" or Bandit Motorcoaches" images to be seen anywhere in the internet, gotta wonder what this thing looks like. Anybody near Tracy, CA, south of Sacremento?......

toyfunraider

Observer
I'm looking to sell my 1992 Sunrader 21 foot class C. 2wd, v6 3.0 liter with overdrive automatic. For additional details contact me or visit Craigs list Boston. Starting asking price is $11,500 OBO. Spring is right around the corner and so is $4 a gallon gas.

Last edited:

globalexcursion

Thanks for the link! Not featured on the website, but I've always thought Ken Trinder's '87 with a Bonanza camper was pretty cool, too.

KenTrinderbandit1.jpg

I almost bought this camper on ebay about 4 years ago when it was for sale in Colorado. I had last minute second thoughts and it went for much less than I would have bid. I believe the selling price was approx $4300. Looking back I am still kicking myself, since the camper conversion is sort of rare.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
the Galaxy

I like that. A lot, and I normally don't like dual rear wheel vehicles. The 2.8 diesel with low miles should last forever.

That would be a great rig for a single full-timer on the road. I like the full size door on the side. Wonder what's across the back of the floorplan...

Good find, good posting - :beer:

Ironduff

Observer
That Toyota Galaxy looks like a really neat rig! I wonder what the bulges at the bottom of the doors are.... just splash shields for the front corners of the coach, or something functional?

One nitpick.... it appears that the rear axle is the failure-prone (when overloaded) semi-floating five lug unit with dualie adapters, rather than the more suitable 1-ton 6 lug full-floater with 'real' duals. It probably wouldn't be too hard to remedy, tho' I've read that the new good units are no longer available.

Jim H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears