Toyota Pickup Clutch Replacement Questions

RallyHHRT

So, it's that time in my trucks life to get a new clutch put in. I've been looking around at the different options and figured I ask everyone... What should I put in? The truck is a 1992 Pickup 22RE 5pd 4wd.... It's mostly stock right now, but plans are in place for custon bumpers, a lift, bigger tires.. etc.etc. I've gotten different opinions from different people on what to run... Some people tell me it's fine to run a stock clutch and flywheel, and that they even rock crawl with it and have no issues. Others say that since the truck will have more accessories and harder trails to drive in the near future, I should opt for a perfomance clutch like Centerforce, etc. What do you guys think, or does anyone have experience with stock clutches being very unreliable on the trail?

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I would say stay with stock or a marlin. The marlin clutches are nice but if you get a really high pressure unit your left leg will get much bigger than your right pretty quickly. If you change your tire size you should change your differential gearing to match and there should be no problems. If you are doing rockcrawling then get lower transfercase gears. Gearing is important, but a stock clutch should be able to do everything very well.

My first choice would be a stock clutch but if you are planing on abusing the truck you may want to opt for a Marlin. How many miles did the original clutch get? Food for thought...

sisu

Adventurer
I say stay stock. Any time you start screwing with the suspension then other things pop up, but that is just me.

I just installed a clutch in my V6 99 Tacoma and very satisfied. I have a buddy that is a parts guy at NAPA and we just went with that and it works well. Been traveling a wee bit since it was installed...thinking...2000+ miles cause I need to do my oil this time around. I can climb most hills in the neighborhood (paved in 4th gear no problem and if it is highway speed going up a pass or such I can zip up at 65-70 in 4th (I don't lug it in 5th just because it's me)

I posted in another thread here that I am having trouble with the idiot switch on the clutch for starting but I know that is do to the cold and probably some carpet swelling and stopping clutch peddle travel or the electrical connectors are loose. Not sure yet as my wife had to take the rig to work as her rig is TOAST! :Wow1:

RallyHHRT

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll stay stock for now. I got 200,000+ on a single clutch... But it was driven mostly highway miles with that, until about a year ago. Also, thanks for the info on the gearing. I was only planning for a small lift and maybe 31 or 32 inch tires. Should I still mess with gearing with that. I still want to drive decently on the highway. But i guess that's what they all say.... maybe someday I'll junk that IFS and get a sold front axle:)

RallyHHRT

I say stay stock. Any time you start screwing with the suspension then other things pop up, but that is just me.

I just installed a clutch in my V6 99 Tacoma and very satisfied. I have a buddy that is a parts guy at NAPA and we just went with that and it works well. Been traveling a wee bit since it was installed...thinking...2000+ miles cause I need to do my oil this time around. I can climb most hills in the neighborhood (paved in 4th gear no problem and if it is highway speed going up a pass or such I can zip up at 65-70 in 4th (I don't lug it in 5th just because it's me)

I posted in another thread here that I am having trouble with the idiot switch on the clutch for starting but I know that is do to the cold and probably some carpet swelling and stopping clutch peddle travel or the electrical connectors are loose. Not sure yet as my wife had to take the rig to work as her rig is TOAST! :Wow1:

Yeah, I read that thread about your clutch switch problems, I confused myself. Sounds electrical to me though. Good luck! Thanks for the help.

laxtoy

Adventurer
it is often mentioned as well, no matter what clutch you get, preferably use an oem throwout bearing.

farrdg

My son had Marlin Crawlers put one of their 1200 lb heavy duty clutches in his 1991 Pickup 22RE 5pd 4wd. He loves it! The setup works great with his 31" tires and driving in the mountains where he lives. He is currently upgrading the suspension and re-gearing for 33x10.50 tires. Marlin recommended this setup for the larger tires and wheeling that he does. Marlin's gear and staff are top notch.:wings: You can't go wrong with their products.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
As far as gearing for 31-32 inch tires it is up to you. I ran 31's on a 94 22re with stock 4.10 and it was great but probably wouldn't do 32's. There are factory 4.30 and 4.56 gears that you can swap easily if you wanted to go 32-33" tires. I personally just switched to 4.30 gears and an e-locker to turn 31's. I would have kept the 4.10 but the e-locker was 4.30 and it makes the speedometer accurate to switch the gears. Switching carriers is also a little easier with a straight axle.

As far as a SAS, I wouldnt do it unless you are going to get into hard core rock crawling. Your IFS is very strong and reliable, if you maintain it properly it will give you a MUCH better ride. Ride quality matters more when you are putting on lots of miles in a day, a minitruck with a straight axle can beat you up(I know I have one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger