Toyota Surf-roamer

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Nice Rattle Can Job!!!! Its amazing what a few cans and an hour can do! Ive been debating on doing this to my setup. I'm over the 80's "vintage" off-white color! Did you do anything special to prep the trim pieces, or did you just paint over everything? I would really like to paint mine to match the truck. Give it a cleaner look.

Anyways, NICE JOB!! It looks really good!
Paul

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Thanks. I was a little worried about how the paint would stick to the fiberglass but it seems to work fine.

I didn't do much at all to prep aside from masking off the windows. I painted right over the stripes and the trim. I figure if anything falls off, I can touch up the spot. I probably should have used the pistol-grip can holder--my forearms are still achy, but that should go away in a few days. It took 3 of the big spray cans for the single coat.

I cheated a little on the front. I didn't paint all the way under the cab-over. I painted the leading face and then faded the paint as the surface curves under. The only way to tell is from under it, looking up.

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Awning

I thought I'd put a pic of the "awning" on here.

P1020260.jpg

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Art camper!

Alright, it might be the child in me, but I keep forgetting how much fun it is to mess around with art supplies. I thought the camper interior could use some more color. So I picked up a Sharpie set and saw where things went. I like pictographs/glyphs so I thought I'd turn the top bed area into a "newspaper rock" of sorts.

P1020262.jpg

P1020261.jpg

P1020263.jpg

P1020264.jpg

I also consider this a variant on the camper playing cards. When the weather's bad, we can just get out the markers and see how the walls evolve. I guess I should probably crack a window though.

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
haha Nice work Eric! That awning looks good. I think I'm going to try and rig something up for the time being. :snorkel:

Your art work defiantly adds some color! I showed my girlfriend your picts and she likes it! haha But, Im not ready to hand over the sharpie's just yet! Any recent action shots? Its been raining here in CA for 2 weeks. Im itching to take the camper our at least work on it!

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Resurrection?

The camper's been looking kind of forlorn on the garage floor, so I thought I'd do some tinkering...

Back when I first got this camper, I was interested in modernizing, so it got the vinyl tile and Minwax treatment. Now, I'm more interested in the styles of the past, so up came the vinyl tiles--the original, wicker-pattern flooring is kind of growing on me.

I'd been having some challenges keeping running water in this thing. I've been through two water pumps and a manual pump faucet. I've also had my doubts about the cleanliness of the tubing and the tank itself. The last few times, I used a water jug suspended over the sink on a little corner platform I made, so I decided to pull out the water system. I was pretty glad I did, since the tubing looked gross and the tank had a lot of mystery solids in it. It also opened up this nice storage area at the front:

P1030010_zps3kipedts.jpg

Then I decided to re-locate the battery to this area, since it's lower, further forward and easier to access. I got the wiring re-configured today...tomorrow I'll hopefully mount and connect the battery in its new spot. It had been at the back of a kitchen cabinet under the counter, so it probably didn't help handling much. It opened up a bunch of space in that kitchen cabinet too.

I'm pretty sure this camper is several hundred pounds lighter now than when I got it. Once you start removing things, it's kind of hard to stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78