Toyota vs Nissan?

Forrest51

Hello, I've been lurking on this site for quite some time now. This is my first post. I'll try to get some posts of my recent trips, including an 11k mile rode trip around the US on my 04 KLR650. Today however I'm interested in your opinions of the 1st gen double cab Taco, 2nd gen Frontier and 1st gen access cab Tundra. I currently own the tundra free and clear. I love the power of the V8 and somehow manage to average 20mpg on the hwy with 285x75x16 tires with front spacers and rear add-a-leaf (approx 3" of lift). While I don't always need a full rear seat I find myself wanting one more often than I use the larger bed. Also I've only put my truck in challenging situations a couple times in the three years I've owned it, one of those times resulted in the grenading of the front diff. I have owned several Toyotas and have loved all of them, but the "Toyota tax" seems to be constantly increasing, hence my interest in the frontier. I also like the idea of a more powerful engine and a manual transmission. I do more fire roads than anything else, but I can't get used to the Idea of owning something like a Subaru; I just enjoy driving trucks to much :sombrero: I plan on a mild lift, protection, possibly a winch, and am really liking the 255x85 tires. My main concerns are the reduction in power and road manors. I currently live in CO and do a lot of mountain driving. I apologize for the long winded initial post, any input will be much appreciated.

alexrex20

Explorer
If you grenaded the front diff on your Tundra, then you definitely don't want a 2nd gen Frontier; the weak front diff is a well-documented issue. Do you really need the extra space so badly that you want another car note? (Assuming you will be buying new and trading in the Tundra.)

I would get a Tacoma over a Frontier, but would not trade in a paid-off Tundra for either. Just my $0.02.

Edit: Both the Tacoma and Frontier have plenty of power. I doubt you will feel a loss in performance - if at all.

E4x4Eric

I would keep the Tundra and do a 3 link SAS on it. It is still cheaper than buing a new truck and with the SAS it will last much longer and perform much better than the stock Tundra.:safari-rig:

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I love my Frontier and think it is a fine truck for any type of travel on road or off. I don't rock crawl or go beyond the capabilities of the truck so I have not had any issues with durability. I has meet all my expectations off road for a stock truck. I may ad a OME suspension in the future as the stock springs get abused a bit when fully loaded on a long trip.This is not a Frontier specific problem though as this is needed on any truck driving on rough roads and lots of weight.
But if I had a truck that wad paid for then I would just keep it, and use the money for trips. As for the Tacoma I think that would be a good truck also but I am just partial to Nissan and prefer the aesthetics of the Frontier to the Tacoma. It doesn't matter what you drive as long as you like it and go and see neat and interesting places in it.

Forrest51

If you grenaded the front diff on your Tundra, then you definitely don't want a 2nd gen Frontier; the weak front diff is a well-documented issue. Do you really need the extra space so badly that you want another car note? (Assuming you will be buying new and trading in the Tundra.)

I would get a Tacoma over a Frontier, but would not trade in a paid-off Tundra for either. Just my $0.02.

Edit: Both the Tacoma and Frontier have plenty of power. I doubt you will feel a loss in performance - if at all.

I'm aware of the weak front diff in the Frontier and would make allotments for a Titan diff swap down the road. I'm mainly looking at the 01-04 Tacos and 05+ Frontier, so I'd be buying used. By selling my truck to a private buyer there shouldn't be to extreme of an overhead. I've heard great things about Nissan's 4.0 v6 power wise but haven't heard much about reliability issues with them. I know the 3.4 in the Tacoma is reliable but a fair decrease in power from my V8

I would keep the Tundra and do a 3 link SAS on it. It is still cheaper than buying a new truck and with the SAS it will last much longer and perform much better than the stock Tundra.:safari-rig:

The main problem I have with doing something like that is knowing that while i can get away with a small back seat for now, eventually I'll need the full four doors. So any money I put into it just seems like a waste if I'm planning on getting rid of it before to long. This truck is also my DD so I don't want to get to crazy on the build.

I love my Frontier and think it is a fine truck for any type of travel on road or off. I don't rock crawl or go beyond the capabilities of the truck so I have not had any issues with durability. I has meet all my expectations off road for a stock truck. I may ad a OME suspension in the future as the stock springs get abused a bit when fully loaded on a long trip.This is not a Frontier specific problem though as this is needed on any truck driving on rough roads and lots of weight.
But if I had a truck that wad paid for then I would just keep it, and use the money for trips. As for the Tacoma I think that would be a good truck also but I am just partial to Nissan and prefer the aesthetics of the Frontier to the Tacoma. It doesn't matter what you drive as long as you like it and go and see neat and interesting places in it.

Some very good points, and thanks for the incite on the Frontier. I like my lack of car payments but I think The extra seating will make up for it. I also like the smaller dimensions, although I know the newer Frontiers really aren't much smaller. this is something I've been debating for about a year now, seems like every time I make up my mind one way or another something happens to change my mind...

ryandavenport

Adventurer
i would venture to say that the 4.0 in the newer frontiers is probably more powerful than the 4.7 v8s in the older tundras. i have a second gen xterra, and it is quick. they are also extremely reliable aside from the front diff explosions. i came from a jeep, so i think the world of mine, but i would say that it will probably be about what you expect out of reliability. its a reliable vehicle without the "toyota tax". hope this helped out some

jim65wagon

i would venture to say that the 4.0 in the newer frontiers is probably more powerful than the 4.7 v8s in the older tundras.

it's got 20 more HP at 5600rpm, that's versus my 03 Tundras 240....the 05 and 06 Tundras are at 270

but the Nissan 4.0 is 40 lb/ft of torque shy (280 at 4000rpm vs 320 at 3400rpm) at those low crawling speeds....torque is nice to have when you have a lot of weight to haul....

Forrest51

That's some good info on the Frontiers. I'm gonna try to get some test drives in this weekend, hopefully that will narrow down my choices... I'm glad you chimed in Scott, the Epeditions west taco is very inspiring. If I do keep my Tundra new tires will be going on shortly. I'm really liking the 255/85's. Anyone see a problem with the narrow tire handiling the heavier tundra? I couldn't seem to find many people running these in bigger rigs, seems like 285/75 is mor popular on that circut. Aslo I do drive a lot on the hwy and want a tire that will hold up to that. I'm running 285/75's on stock 3.91 gears and don't seem to have a any performance issues (I've never driven a tundra with stock tires though so maybe I'm missing out, but I doubt it :ylsmoke:) would 255's be noticeably different? Thanks for all the opinions and info guys, gotta love the expo community! :victory:

alexrex20

Explorer
255/85 is an incredibly popular size on dually trucks, and even SRW trucks. the people on the diesel/HD forums are always complaining about lack of supply in that size.

going from a 285/75 to a 255/85, you won't notice much difference. some people will swear that it rolls better or handles better or whatever, but they just have too much sugar in their Kool Aid.

jim65wagon

I'm on my second set of 255/85 Coopers and currently shopping around for my third set. You won't notice any difference, the V8 has enough low-end torque it can handle the tire height easily. If you were doing a lot of crawling style off-roading or towing something heavy through the mountains frequently; you might do a gear change to 4.88s or the like, but for everyday and forest exploration the stock 3.91s and tall tires are fine.

Forrest51

Sounds like 255's are a go! well provided I keep the truck... Jim65wagon, what made you choose the coopers over say a BFG or Maxxis? Also what kind of millage did you get out of your first two sets?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
A truck you own is better tehn one you don't... I realize you're not talking about a BRAND NEW TRUCK with it's ***. hassle, but still, you've got a great truck now that you know and can be easily made to serve your needs... I say keep it.

As for power, HP is one thing, Torque is what get's you up to the point where you can use HP if that made any sence. That's why a Big tund up diesel with the same HP as say a small sports car can out-run it in a drag race. Torque is a VERY key factor to even getting a car moving.

Cheers

Dave

I'll take a motor with a torque advantage over a slight HP bump anyday, ESPESCIALY in a 4wd.

jim65wagon

Sounds like 255's are a go! well provided I keep the truck... Jim65wagon, what made you choose the coopers over say a BFG or Maxxis? Also what kind of millage did you get out of your first two sets?

I've been using the Cooper Discoverer ST because it's one of the few tires in that size that are not a full mud terrain. It's more of an agressive AT.

1st set went 50,000 with 6/32nds of tread left.
2nd set has 40,000 and I'm at about 6/32nds now, so it's shopping time.

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
Keep the Tundra if it's paid for! If you do get something different just test drive both and buy what you like. You can't go wrong with any of your choices. I will say that the 2nd gen frontier front diff problem is a little over exaggerated by people who don't own one. Most of the failures have been caused by careless driving. Then again me and my good friend drive carelessly in ours all the time and haven't had an issue. I can confirm that the 4.0 V6 is pretty quick and will outrun 1st gen Tundras, and a some other V8's. There is plenty of torque down low for crawling obstacles:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78