TR: Opus Hut in the San Juans, CO 2/19/12-2/22/12

Kya

Adventurer
So, I barely used the truck, but the trip would not have worked without it. With that said, I figured I'd add the TR for no other reason then shameless self promotion......from a dad's point-of-view. I must admit though, it was cool to see the same zones in the winter compared to the summer.

With a week off of school, some dads and daughters (and one brave mom) decided to spend a few days at the Opus Hut located on the east side Ophir Pass. We had great weather, other then strong winds. The avi danger was pretty high, so we kept things fun and safe. We all had an awesome time!

My daughter and I spent Sunday night next to a plowed in Ophir Pass road, only about 7 miles outside of Silverton. Kaikea and I went to sleep with fresh snow falling.
P1020373.jpg

We woke up to about 4 inches and chocolate chip pancakes.
IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

Heading up the skin track. The approach was easy to follow, but with multiple avalanche paths that had to be crossed the dads were all very nervous. Things look a lot different when your touring with children.
GetAttachment16.jpg

Backcountry sledding and fort building were highlights for the kids.
P1020392.jpg

P1020554.jpg

But we did ski some pow, right out of the hut door. Kaikea shreddin.
P1020417.jpg

P1020405.jpg

Heading back up for more!
P1020494.jpg

P1020500.jpg

P1020506.jpg

P1020522.jpg

Just about back to the hut. Only about 100 feet to the left. Skiing pow and skinning laps with my daughter was encredible. The most rewarding backcountry skiing I have ever done. I love this picture!
P1020527.jpg

Night time activities were simple. Puzzles for the kids, beer for the parents.
P1020533.jpg

Nice kitchen.
P1020537.jpg

Wednesday morning the dads got up early to check out the top of the pass and get a peak at the town of Ophir.
P1020547.jpg

P1020548.jpg

The kid crew
P1020559.jpg

By Wednesday afternoon we were all safely back to the trailhead. All the dads and daughters headed back to Eagle, but I was headed for another hut trip. Something totally different. Time to load up Large Marge and head to the Bonnie Belle hut for Dave's bachelor party.
P1020575.jpg

P1020636.jpg

Oh baby, that was an awesome week in the Silverton backcountry. I don't even know where to start with the other trip report....

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I forgot that CO huts are nicer than what we call mountain huts up here. Heck they are nicer than the cabin in the woods I call home. Nice winter stoke. :ylsmoke:

brettf

Adventurer
whoa. Kya - just stumbled on this. Headed to Opus tomorrow. You just posted this? Rad! I've seen the zone often in the summer, but stoked to get off normal 550 winter routes.

edit to say thanks for the post - nice to see and some fun photos. Expo is far more civil than TGR, eh? :)

Kya

Adventurer
^^
Yeah for sure Brett, but that is what makes TGR so much fun. Have fun at Opus. I bet there is a good corn harvest going right now. Looks like some snow coming for the end of the weekend, hopefully you wake up to at least one powder morning.

I forgot that CO huts are nicer than what we call mountain huts up here. Heck they are nicer than the cabin in the woods I call home. Nice winter stoke. :ylsmoke:
Funny Co-opski, but your mountains are bigger :Wow1: and the snow is deeper :snorkel: and stickier :drool: Want to trade?

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

brettf

Adventurer
Corn cycle for sure. Decent skiing - have to play the aspect/timing game for sure. We had a good time. I had to leave before the snow came in. Sounds like a few good cold turns were had before the rest of the group came out.

Very interesting terrain there at the hut. Much like Sorcerer's Lodge or some other Canadian huts. But the options really open up with corn season. Some very worthy big goals up that way for spring/summer season. Not that I won't be in the desert riding my bike instead...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears