TR: Steamboat to Rifle

Kya

Adventurer
My daughter's soccer team had a tournement in Steamboat this past weekend. It seemed like a perfect opportunity to take a long way back home to Eagle. After looking at some maps, we decided to head west from Oak Creek, to Buford, then south aiming for Rifle. The drive took us to a new part of Colorado for us. The roads were mostly easy and smooth. I would imagine this route is amazing during the fall color season.

At the summit of Dunckley Pass...

We don't normally pay for a camping spot, but the flowers and scenery here at Vaughn Lake were definitely worth the price. Simply beautiful...

In the middle of night I was awaken with a sudden intense wind storm that shook the whole camper and dumped hard rain. This only lasted for about five to ten seconds. Then, you could here the wind and rain energy travel down to the lake. It was crazy, and maybe a visiting Ute spirit?

The next afternoon we packed up and headed for Ripple Creek Pass. The views of the Flat Tops were magnificent...

So many wildflowers...

Then over to Trappers Lake...

A fantastic way to cool down...

Last edited:

Kya

Adventurer
Then we took the first half of the the Buford to New Castle Road. After taking a right onto FS 211, we began looking for the northern entrance to Little Box Canyon (FS 825). Wasn't too hard to find and there was a great camping spot right near the beginning...

Most of this trail twisted and turned through aspen trees and along side the creek...

The southern entrance to Little Box Canyon...

I think this road would be rated as an easy in a Charles A. Wells book...

Then we checked out Rifle Falls. I can't believe it has taken me this long to hang out here. Impressive!

This was a lovely and mellow route in a part of Colorado we would normally not visit. I'm happy we did because we will surely be back, especially in the fall when the leaves are changing. Happy travels and thanks for checking it out.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I used to fish at Trappers Lake, damn I love that country. Thanks for sharing.

Kya

Adventurer
Sweet! Great area...glad u got to enjoy. How do u like that setup?

We are loving the setup, as you might be able to tell with all the pics. We have had the FWC Eagle for a little more then three years now. It is perfect for my small family (wife, daughter, and one dog). If we had two kids, the camper would have to be bigger. When my daughter brings a friend they are in a tent. I think the Eagle fits in this generation Tundra perfectly. We have had the Tundra for only a couple of months now (coming from an exrta cab Dodge Dakota) and this thing is solid. The comfort and luxury factor is off the charts to us. It doesn't feel terribly large on the trails either, though our trail selection is moderate. I would recommend this setup to anyone with a three person family.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Nice pictures, thanks for the writeup. Are those waterfalls there all the time or just during rainy periods?

Excellent trip report. I was just reading about the Trappers Lake are this weekend and wondering what it really looks like! Impeccable timing. Definitely need to get up there! :wings:

grogie

Like to Camp
Beautiful pictures! I'll have to put those falls on my list for a future Colorado visit. Thanks for sharing.

upndown

Adventurer
Beautiful scenery..Is Trappers Lake strictly a hike in lake? Looks like a fun lake for a small boat or at least float tubes for some fishing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78