Tracking Point Rifle: Never Miss Again! (or, the end of fair chase)

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
I'm exagerating in the title since game laws may outlaw such technology, but still there are interesting ramifications of such technology for shooting sports and public safety. Essentially, the Tracking Point Rifle uses computer technology that dang near ensures you hit your target everytime... even from 500 yards out.

Excerpt:

On a firing range just outside Austin in the city of Liberty Hill, a novice shooter holds one and takes aim at a target 500 yards away. Normally it takes years of practice to hit something at that distance. But this shooter nails it on the first try.

The rifle's scope features a sophisticated color graphics display. The shooter locks a laser on the target by pushing a small button by the trigger. It's like a video game. But here's where it's different: You pull the trigger but the gun decides when to shoot. It fires only when the weapon has been pointed in exactly the right place, taking into account dozens of variables, including wind, shake and distance to the target.

ruger1

Observer
IMO It doesn't look very practical for most real hunting situations. It's very expensive, looks bulky and it would have to take a beating. Plus it won't track, dress or drag your quarry out for you. I guess from a box blind and using feeders, a deer or hog may hold still long enough for the gun to make up it's mind to shoot. There still has to be some skill by the user depending on the lateral and vertical limits to the apparatus. As a sniper rifle it would come in handing on targets that are fairly stationary.

robert

Expedition Leader
I'd like to have one just to play with but that's a bit steep. The article is definitely slanted and most of the comments make me want to beat my head against a wall at their ignorance.

Cody1771

Explorer
the BORS is cool, but that tracking point rifle system is nuts, i've seen it in use and all you have to do is "highlight" your target and the damn thing calculates the shot itself, makes the corrections, then you depress the trigger and as soon as you line it up and the computer is happy it takes the shot and it never misses. cant see this being a legal item to own, especially in the great white north that is Canada

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman