Tracks4Africa App?

jham

Adventurer
Anyone use it? I'm considering picking up an iPad mini for navigation in Uganda. Will pair it with the Garmin GLO or one of the other external GPS.

At $100, I'm just curious if anyone has used it before dropping that kind of coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Brady

Founder
It works well. I ran the app on my iPad and iPhone, but also used the Garmin micro SD in my Garmin Montana.

The app did seem to have all the same data as the Garmin T4A maps, plus a little better street level data. I liked having the redundancy.

We used the app and T4A in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia.

jham

Adventurer
It works well. I ran the app on my iPad and iPhone, but also used the Garmin micro SD in my Garmin Montana.

The app did seem to have all the same data as the Garmin T4A maps, plus a little better street level data. I liked having the redundancy.

We used the app and T4A in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia.

Thanks Scott. Based on that, it's a done deal. Will pick up the iPad and buy it.

Which mount are you using in the vehicles? Still haven't settled on a RAM mount.

Sirocco

Explorer
RAM suction cup and universal tablet mount works well.

T4A maps are great, not sure if they have finished the routable versions for Uganda yet, they were working on them. I have used (and helped collect data) for West Africa, they are probably your best bet with open street map working alongside.

G

jham

Adventurer
How does helping them collect data work? I could easily help them with Uganda. I drive all over central and eastern Uganda on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirocco

Explorer
Get in touch with them about submitting tracklogs and waypoint data. I volunteered to help out mapping all the national parks in West Africa. The data was used by MAPA and T4A. I ran a trip report on my website. Data has to be very accurate though. No 'fly by' waypointing :)

G

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Do it, you won't regret it.

It is used by most overlanders, especially on the East Coast. In many cases, it replaces a guidebook as travelers use it to meet each other and as a reference.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
-
Here is an article about:
-
T4A-Vergleich-APP-Mapsource.jpg

-
http://www.4x4tripping.com/2013/04/tracks4africa-t4a-neu-auch-auf-dem-ios.html
-
It is not jet translated, but you find a translate button at the right side.
-
T4A is very useful itself. The iOS part is not perfect as when you use them at an Garmin device, but this is more optical.
-
With the iOS App you get the better deal, because you get the coming Map updates..
-
T4A dont replace an road navigation App like Navigon in the Cities of southern africa because it dont covers one way streets and road nummers well. But the points of interests Database is outstanding - and very helpful.
-
When you like to find dirttracks - t4a knows many of them - what other sources dont have.
-
4x4tripping

Last edited:

Aubrey

Observer
Hi from Africa

Have a looks at www.tracks4africa.co.za Most all your questions will be answered :D

I use T4A on a Samsung 10.1 TAB and mounted in my LR on RAM mount, with a 1 inch RAM ball bolted to the dash. Off Road I don't want a projectile.

T4A is not intended to be used in cities and although main roads are covered, street level details not there. If you do need streetmaps on a Garmin, suggest look at www.garmap.co.za I am sure Tom-Tom and others have similar products.

I use T4A extensively in my African travels with my two sons and always back it up with a Montana Garmin loaded with Garmap Streetmaps and T4A.

Google maps work well if you do have 3G or LTE/4G services but be warned ... data in Africa will break your budget and coverage is main cities only.

You cannot go wrong with T4A ...been submitting data for years but you need a dedicated GPS like a Garmin. Ipad and TAB's not that great quality data so not used at all.

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers from Africa

Aubrey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12