Traded Tacoma for '16 ecoboost F-150. Heresy?!

adrstout

Adventurer
Running Mod List as of 3/27/2017
Armor
-RCI full skid plate package
-P&P Engineering rock sliders
Tires
-285/70r17 Cooper ATP
-Spare: 285/70r17 Pathfinder AT
Supension
-2" Hell Bent Steel level
-1" rear block
-Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
Storage/sleeping
-Softopper
-Heavy bed mat
-EZ down tailgate assist
-Homebuilt sleeping platform (in progress)
Electronics/Comms
-Midland 75-822 CB radio w/ window antenna
Lighting
-Sylvania Silverstar Ultra headlights
-20" LED light bar behind grille
-SDHQ A-pillar mounts w/ 2 LED spot lights

How it sits today (transformation pic):
20160604_124928-COLLAGE.jpg

Future Plans
-Autospring AAL
-Fox 2.0 front coilovers
-UCAs
-Bumper F/R (haven't decided yet)
-winch (probably on tray due to ecoboost)
-On board air (have compressor, etc.)
-Engine tuner & performance monitor
-Raptor line rockers
-Backup cam
-Auxiliary reverse lights
-Bigger tires & new wheels

About a month ago I traded in my 2012 Tacoma on a 2016 F-150 Supercab XL w/ the FX4 package and 2.7L ecoboost. I also got the 101A power equipment group and sport appearance package. I got the items I wanted for an adventure truck like a locker, skids (they're ok I guess) and rubber floors. The 101A package gave me the basic conveniences I like. So far I'm loving the truck and plan to set it up as a well balanced DD and overland travel vehicle. I figured before I do much to this rig I should go ahead and start a build thread.

So far I've only added a toolbox for tools and recovery gear. This works well for me as all my gear just stays in waterproof crates in the truck bed or in the back seat. Only other items I've done have been cosmetic. Planning to mount my axe/shovel and hi-lift this weekend with a LR-200 Loc Rac. I have some reservations about that system but we will see. Might need to find a different option. I've had it out dirt road cruising and on some little trails on a friend's farm. Still getting used to the size but it seems to be plenty capable but it does need to get up in the air a little bit more.

At least initially, my plans are pretty simple: lift 2.5" in front and 1" in rear. Then I will ditch the stock 265s for some 285 ATs. I'd like to get some sliders since it is so long but I need to do some research on that. Probably need to go custom.

The New F-150
13495594_10107296710874779_3806915859446290533_o.jpg 13522888_10107296710725079_5653723014500664957_o.jpg
13690901_1662208974104720_9115138392389358328_o.jpg 13738364_1662208087438142_4702885696718051424_o.jpg

Bye Bye Taco
12439373_10106958759986069_3349016390760085497_n.jpg

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We will be joining the EcoBoost club soon as well, too much love out there to not get one, many say it is the most "practical" truck on the market.

boll_rig

Adventurer
Really nice truck, a friend of mine actually rented it yesterday for a video shoot. Got to check it out. Solid upgrade!

adrstout

Adventurer
We will be joining the EcoBoost club soon as well, too much love out there to not get one, many say it is the most "practical" truck on the market.

I initially went to buy a 5.0 but I am really liking this 2.7eb. Good fuel economy and power too.

Nice truck. Love F150's!

You will definitely need to go custom on the rock sliders.

Yeah my quick google search made me assume that. There are some items marketed as rock protection but they appear to bolt to the body....I don't get that at all.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
x2. Go to a local off road shop. Shouldnt be more than $500 to go custom.

Last edited:

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I'm anxious to see where you go with this. I like how simple and purposeful your truck is. I've unfortunately tasted the sweet nectar that is cooled seats and auto everything so I'm a Lariat guy, but I do find my attention being caught by a simple, honest, well-optioned XL or XLT. Enjoy that new truck!

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
Nice truck. I have a 2012 3.5 ecoboost, I love it. Had some concerns at first about a v6 but then I took it for a spin and it ended up following me home. Look forward to see how your build goes. I had to give up on rock sliders. We needed steps for the wife and I like them now that the truck has a 4" lift.

adrstout

Adventurer
I'm anxious to see where you go with this. I like how simple and purposeful your truck is. I've unfortunately tasted the sweet nectar that is cooled seats and auto everything so I'm a Lariat guy, but I do find my attention being caught by a simple, honest, well-optioned XL or XLT. Enjoy that new truck!

Yeah, I love the simplicity and it is still more comfortable than my Tacoma in a number of ways though I could never fault anyone for opting for some luxury. My dad has a Grand Cherokee Summit and it is nice to be coddled in that thing.

Nice truck. I have a 2012 3.5 ecoboost, I love it. Had some concerns at first about a v6 but then I took it for a spin and it ended up following me home. Look forward to see how your build goes. I had to give up on rock sliders. We needed steps for the wife and I like them now that the truck has a 4" lift.

I had no desire for the v6 until I drove it. I love a v8 rumble but turbo whine is cool too lol. I'm looking forward to this build as well. Just wish I had the coin to do it all at once!

p nut

butter
Good to see more F150 EB's here. I also went from an older Tacoma to a 2.7L F150. The ride and cabin space alone were worth the upgrade. Plus, I'm getting much better MPG in the bigger truck, and better towing capacity. I haven't found a downside yet.

fnjeep314

Observer
Welcome to the F150 club! Ive got a 2012 F150 3.5 ecoboost fx4 SCREW cab. Like one of the other guys said before, Ive been spoiled by cooled seats! I would tell you that for a suspension upgrade would be Bilstein shocks are going to be the way to go without spending lots of bucks. For the rear, a good add-a-leaf for the rear will get you height and additional payload capacity for pretty cheap(about $150 max). I have Fox 2.5 remote res coilovers, and they are great, but probably over kill for what you would want to do. Im on my 3rd suspension configuration, so feel free to ask any questions. I know that there are some changes between the 12's and the 15-16's, but it should be very similar.

As far as rocksliders, Ive found nothing in the 3 years Ive been looking, and no one has really come all that close either. Anything that Ive seen for "rocker protection" is nothing more than a non-load bearing side step. If you want anything more than that, its going to be custom and you are going to have to have it fabricated. Ive been working on plans for my rock sliders for a few months now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior