Explorer
woodeye said:
I had a 94 runner before this, and loved it but it got totaled a year ago thats
y I got the taco. Two main things I like about the 02 runner is the coil overs
out front and the lift gate out back. Some people liked haveing the tailgate
but I had to fix that rear window that goes down into the gate so many times
it wasn't funny.
will post pixs soon.

http://images.autotrader.com/images...3899.244887689.IM1.MAIN.240x180_A.240x180.jpg

Wait, is that the picture of the 2002 Limited? If so, that's NOT the Limited, unless they changed out the bumper, took off the cladding and changed out the wheels. That seems like a base SR5 to me. Hope they did not lie to you.

Oh, the Limited has an auto climate control and wood trim. Or check the VIN on Carfax.

This is the Limited (notice the color-matched bumpers, side cladding and different wheels):

U021787A.jpg

Interior will look like this (minus the aftermarket navigation pictured in the pic). Notice the auto climate control:
DSCF0009-vi.jpg

2002 SR5:

dl15-1601.jpg

Interior has manual climate control:
CIMG2440.jpg

Last edited:

woodeye

Observer
Yes thats rite its an SR5 I said limited because I always thought the wheels
on it were from a limited.
So I'll get some pix soon I've got to remove the side steps and do the day time
driving lite mod today. I also have some FJ sliders I was going to sell and still
may but first I'm going to bolt them on and see what I think. I don't do any
rock crawling, but they would be great for the high lift and the
old "just in case".

My dog loves the runner so she can stick her head out
the window. She missed that with the taco since it had only the access
windows. Also have to check it out for sleeping it seems alittle longer inside
than the 94.

Woody

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
I believe the modification Woody is referring to either allows you to turn on the DTRL on or off at will as opposed to always on. Anyone back me up on that one being that I drive a Taco w/o DTRL?
Nice find by the way Woody. At times I miss my '03 Sport with the V8. A little easier for family use than the D-cab.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Yes, that's right. I did the same on my 02 Sport. You can actually add a switch to turn them on and off, but I just snipped the wire and turned them off altogether. I usually drive with my lights on anyway, so worked out for me. Really a simple mod. Highly suggested (along with diff breather extension and VSC/TRAC off button).

sami

Explorer
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation.

I've got the '99, so no DTRL here.. Just curious on how you guys went about that anyways.

Do you know much about connecting a switch to the 4WD system to allow locking out the auto-locking hubs, which gives you 2-Low? I've recently heard about this, so i'm trying to locate more info.

-Jason

woodeye

Observer
switch for the auto hubs thats a new one I haven't heard of before.
and snip the dtdrl wire. I'll turn them on when needed thank you very much.

Just takeing off the side steps makes it look taller and not like a mall crawler,
nice ryme.

have to work on my thule rack since I now have two kayaks. A little sketchy
sunday with two on the factory rack.

Woody

Cackalak Han

Explorer
woodeye - be careful when snipping. Don't cut the wrong wire. There are two models of the DRL. 99-00 and 01-02. Which wire you cut depends on the model year.

Here is the article:

http://www.yotatech.com/f127/2002-4runner-drl-disable-off-capability-87596/

Cliff's notes: Cut the pin 12 (black/yellow stripe) wire. Tape off. Done.

sami - Are you talking about a mod that will let you move the transfer case into "L" in 2WD mode? Can't seem to recall where I've seen that (or IF I have), but just a question. Why? Unless you're talking about the gray wire mod? (enables rear locker in 2WD mode).

EDIT: Lo and behold, I logged onto TTORA and found this:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106859

Last edited:

sami

Explorer
Cackalak Han said:
sami - Are you talking about a mod that will let you move the transfer case into "L" in 2WD mode? Can't seem to recall where I've seen that (or IF I have), but just a question. Why? Unless you're talking about the gray wire mod? (enables rear locker in 2WD mode).

EDIT: Lo and behold, I logged onto TTORA and found this:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106859

Nice find..

I might just be in love with 2 Low from 2 years of dual cases in my '85 4runner, and now I just miss the capability.

I suppose I liked the 2 Lo so much since I had a full Detroit locker up front...? Perhaps..

Either way, I think 2 Low could be nice in some situations where 4WD isn't exactly needed. In my '85 4runner, i went 95% of the time in 2 Lo w/ rear e-locker engaged every now and then... and used 4wd when i absolutely needed it.

Last edited:

woodeye

Observer
Thanks Han, I did this on the Taco which was an 02 and had to search yotatech
for the article again on sunday. Thanks for the link though.

Woody

woodeye

Observer
The 4runner is working out better than expected, first 2 kayaks, 4 people, the dog and beach stuff for the day. and no "how come we have to take
dads truck". second first fill up got 290 miles out of 15.5 gallons, added a can
of seafoam when the light come on on that tank before fill up, today filled up
and got 310 miles out of 15 gallons, both tanks where the same type of driving
around town. The only problem I'm having is my daughter doesn't want to take
mom's car anymore.

Han I snipped the blk yello wire #12 and it didn't shut them of any suggestions?

Woody :smiley_drive: :camping: now for a camping trip

Cackalak Han

Explorer
woodeye said:
Han I snipped the blk yello wire #12 and it didn't shut them of any suggestions?
:confused: Are you sure you cut the right wire? It worked with mine (2002 4Runner I used to have), and since the wire breaks the circuit, I can't see a reason why it would still be functioning. And you have the headlights off, right? That's weird...

woodeye

Observer
Ya know Han I did cut the wrong wire, it was a yello wire w/ a thin blk stripe. And
I didn't notice the little #'s for the pin locations before so it ended up being
#12 blk wire w/ a thin yello stripe.

Woody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior