Traditional Baja Vehicle: Sportsmobile

articulate

Expedition Leader
What a sweet machine: Sportsmobile. I saw a bunch of these in Baja and a few on Mainland Mexico. Solid axles, massive steel bumpers, dual spare tires, on-board water, sleeping configurations (often pop-up style campers), etc.

What's the story on these things? It seems to me that they are an extension of RVs in the "rugged" direction. Dear Lord they are all over Baja. The only other vehicle more popular (it seems) has two wheels.

At Guerrero Negro, I ran into the beauty in the attached pictures. Totally intrigued me.
:safari-rig:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
They are sweet as hell. I ran into one in Baja also. A gray one, lifted, locked, the whole package, it was an amazing machine. I didn't get any pictures. Just chatted with the owners a while, Ron and Terry from Central CA. We ran into them near La Poza Grande in the mangroves.

flywgn

Explorer
Friends of ours who are also "Baja-oriented" friends just purchased one. They had a 4X4 van with camping mods before, but I believe that this is their first Sportsmobile.

I'll link this thread to them and see if they wish to enter into the dialog.

Allen R

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
:drool: :drool: :drool:
Those vans are awesome! Ujointclothing, your rig is pretty incredible also! I enjoyed checking out the build-up on your web-site.

jgolden

Adventurer
articulate said:
What a sweet machine: Sportsmobile. I saw a bunch of these in Baja and a few on Mainland Mexico. Solid axles, massive steel bumpers, dual spare tires, on-board water, sleeping configurations (often pop-up style campers), etc.

What's the story on these things? It seems to me that they are an extension of RVs in the "rugged" direction. Dear Lord they are all over Baja. The only other vehicle more popular (it seems) has two wheels.

At Guerrero Negro, I ran into the beauty in the attached pictures. Totally intrigued me.
:safari-rig:

I love the Sportsmobiles as well!!!! One question......what is the interior layout in the red one like? That's the first "hartop" style I've seen...is there still a loft bed?

imagodave

Adventurer
jgolden said:
I love the Sportsmobiles as well!!!! One question......what is the interior layout in the red one like? That's the first "hartop" style I've seen...is there still a loft bed?

They are made here in Fresno. I have been to the plant a few times. There are several interior layouts and yes a loft too! Last time i was there they just completed a unit for a National Geographic photo journalist. These units are just awesome. I wish I could afford one.

articulate

Expedition Leader
jgolden said:
I have no clue. I only saw it parked. Of all the Sportsmobiles I've seen the red was very striking, though.

How long has Sportsmobile been around? The van conversion thing just screams 1972 (less the bubble windows). Can you beat these things for visibility, though? I doubt it. I suppose the driver's seat position might be why so many people prefer the car-like position you have in a truck or SUV. But they afford so much living space, which is far better than what you'll get in a 4Runner or Xterra, eh?

Anyway, these things struck me as though they were the "vehicle of choice" for Baja travel - I saw a bunch. Then ol' Nat'l Geographic Adventure mag had a (very strange) article about spring clothing for Baja, and they had used two white Sportsmobiles in the photos.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Yeah, what was up with that article? Oddly they went to Picacho del Diablo area. (ask your bro about that one)

Back on track...
There is a member on here, who lives in San Diego ironically, and we got to check out his last summer during a meet-n-greet. Very well built, and thought out. Attention to detail is evident in every detail.
The 4x4 models now come with Dana 60's, Atlas twin stick transfer cases, and a slew of other goodies I can't remember.

That being said, I think they are ideal for Baja. Maybe a little long (Extended Body version), and wide for some of the trails we tend to frequent. But, I would buy one in a heartbeat (I just need the CA real estate market to bounce back ; )

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Scott, Stephanie, Sharon and I just had dinner last night with Erik and Amy of Badgertrek fame. Very cool people! Their version of the SM is very striking when you see it in person. What an absolutely killer looking machine. :costumed-smiley-007 There is definitely a benefit to the size and configuration of the vehicle. A nice blend of livibility with trail capability. I led them to a nice little "secret" campsite outside of town after dark, and the approach trail would certainly not lend itself to a typical small RV. Yet they negotiated it with ease, and pretty much had the comforts of an RV when they got to the campsite.

badgervisit01.jpg

badgervisit02.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger