Trail (likely wooded) kit???

Hoop

I'm a novice 4wheel off-roader and an intermediate 2wheel off-roader, and on my first foray onto some forest roads in my 4Runner I encountered some blow-down trees. Nothing completely stopped me, and only once did I get out and pull something off to the side, but it got me thinking that if I ran into something fairly large I wouldn't be able to just go manhandle it. Now I'm wondering what might be a good kit to bring along, that isn't too big to take out of the rig during the week, but is still adequate for weekend woods adventures?

I'm thinking along the lines of a folding saw to cut trees/limbs and a strap or chain to drag them out of the way. Like I said, I am a novice, and I'd like to hear what others bring along on trails. Any other advice would be appreciated too!

1stDeuce

Explorer
When I did a lot of exploring in the UP, we always had a chainsaw with us. Well, when I was in College, it was an ax, but you get the idea...

Now I use the winch and a snatch block to pull them back into the woods most of the time. Saves me from having a stinky chainsaw in the Jeep, and it's usually less work. :)

I've also been known to chain fallen trees to the HD bumper on my old truck (So they couldn't climb up and over the bumper and onto the hood) and push them to the side when they are off the ground enough. I don't recommend that method unless you have a big ugly front bumper though... :)

And I'll run over anything smaller than about 10" if it doesn't have pointy broken branches, but that can be tricky if it's muddy/wet out.

Basically, whatever works. :)

Hoop

Yeah, I don't want to be lugging a gas chainsaw around, but maybe a Swedish saw or an axe might be ok....

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
If you want gear to drag trees out of the way, I'd suggest a drag chain with choker hooks and a shackle that the choker hook can pass through (to attach it to your rig). As you said, a saw and axe is enough for what you'll be doing.

Cheers

wADVr

Adventurer
I typically do not carry a chain saw and have usually been fine with my usual recovery gear and my trusty Wyoming Saw. More often then not I can pull trees out of the way enough to make passable. While the saw can't cut a large tree I can cut the branches off to reduce risk of tire puncture as I drive over them. Snatch block, tree saver, d rings, strap and my winch does the trick.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
First of all, you need to figure out how big is too big for you to man handle. A bow saw is probably what you'd want. Fast, light and easy to use. A chainsaw would work, but its heavy so unless you expect to run into a LOT of fallen trees, you won't need it.

Now if you want some bad-*** points, a double blade ax or heavy machete will do. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12