Trail Outfitters New Expedition Rig...Toyota 4X4 Chinook

Nook

We need some more photos!

Not to take away from TO's thread, but heres a few of mine on some outings.

SANY0158.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0808.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0092-1.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0605-1.jpg
[/IMG]

kai38

Explorer
Those are so nice, I know were one is parked here in town Im tempted to see if its for sale.

jh504

Explorer
Not to take away from TO's thread, but heres a few of mine on some outings.

SANY0158.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0808.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0092-1.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0605-1.jpg
[/IMG]

You have to stop posting pictures now. You are making me drool too much!
I am curious how the power is in these things with the original motor? Sluggish?

Has anyone ever put one of the chinook campers on a newer Toyota mini truck? Like an '04 Tacoma with a 3.4?

Last edited:

Nook

You have to stop posting pictures now. You are making me drool too much!
I am curious how the power is in these things with the original motor? Sluggish?

Has anyone ever put one of the chinook campers on a newer Toyota mini truck? Like an '04 Tacoma with a 3.4?

The original 2wd with the stock 20R did fair, converted to 4x4 I imagine they would be a bit sluggish for sure. I really can't honestly say as both of mine were converted and engines and drivetrains built before I really drove them to any extent.
I have seen them swapped to many different chassis's but can't say I,ve ever seen one on a newer Taco. Personally I like the body style of the original truck they came on, my next choice would be the 79-83 chassis as they still flow with the body lines fairly well, the newer trucks just don't look right to me, but thats just my opinion and personal preference.
OK, just a couple more pics then I'll quit :sombrero: engine in my brown 76, 20R on steroids, many mods along with dual Mikuni sidedrafts.
Blew runs a late model 22R with again numerous upgrades and is force fed via a supercharger.

IMG_0641.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0331.jpg
[/IMG]

jh504

Explorer
The original 2wd with the stock 20R did fair, converted to 4x4 I imagine they would be a bit sluggish for sure. I really can't honestly say as both of mine were converted and engines and drivetrains built before I really drove them to any extent.
I have seen them swapped to many different chassis's but can't say I,ve ever seen one on a newer Taco. Personally I like the body style of the original truck they came on, my next choice would be the 79-83 chassis as they still flow with the body lines fairly well, the newer trucks just don't look right to me, but thats just my opinion and personal preference.
OK, just a couple more pics then I'll quit :sombrero: engine in my brown 76, 20R on steroids, many mods along with dual Mikuni sidedrafts.
Blew runs a late model 22R with again numerous upgrades and is force fed via a supercharger.

IMG_0641.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0331.jpg
[/IMG]

Thats awesome. What does the interior of the brown truck look like?

Nook

Thats awesome. What does the interior of the brown truck look like?

Thanks, glad you like em, Would be easier to post pictures than try to explain the interior, but hate to be a picture hog, but you asked :)

IMG_1038.jpg
[/IMG] Recaro style lumbar adjustable Supra seats

IMG_1012.jpg
[/IMG] Furnace, converter, other stuff

IMG_1011.jpg
[/IMG] 3way refer, under cabinet storage, inverter

IMG_1008.jpg
[/IMG] Sink, cooktop,

IMG_1010.jpg
[/IMG] Microwave, upper and lower cupboards

IMG_1007.jpg
[/IMG] Couch, makes into bed, also has small bed above cab, plus 2 swing out hammocks

jh504

Explorer
Awesome shots man, love the oldschool interior! I have really got the itch! Trail Outfitters has already inspired me to buy a 60 series Cruiser, I am ready to see what he comes up with for his Chinook build!

Nook

Awesome shots man, love the oldschool interior! I have really got the itch! Trail Outfitters has already inspired me to buy a 60 series Cruiser, I am ready to see what he comes up with for his Chinook build!

Thanks guys, Yeah its old school for sure, I built the brown one over 20 years ago so its not as hitech as it once was :sombrero: but its like an old friend and never changes much anymore.

Just got back a few days ago. Have tons of pics and even some video from UP Overland. Check out their site at UPoverland.org (I think).

Went over 3500 miles with almost 500 off road!
Slept in it for 20 days
Only fixes were fuel pump wiring and my oil pan gasket that blew out as soon as I left Moab. Good timing because I would have been screwed. Changed it in the parking lot of the parts store and made it home no problem.

Truck ran great the entire time on and off road.

Also, WON THE "SICKEST RIG" AWARD AT CRUISE MOAB!!! Out of probably 200+ rigs and many $30+ ones.

Highlight of my trip.

I will make a thread in the completed expedition section this weekend.

Thanks,
Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78