Trailer 101 for a Noob

seeker15

Hey everyone,
I have been looking for a while for a trailer to pull behind my six cylinder rig. I wanted a basic utility trailer that I could get occasional scoops of composte or gravel and use for gear if needed on camping trips. I really liked the military trailers but they seemed expensive but I just found what seems to be a M101 CDN for a reasonable price. I am going to check it out tomorrow and have a few questions. Remember I know nothing about trailers....

1) It has a hitch conversion to a ball hitch... Do I need to look for anything specific on this to make sure it is safe?

2) He says that it doesn't have a title and he just has the bill of sale from the previous owner and that he will provide me with a Bill of Sale. He seems legit and the price is low enough that it seems worth the gamble. He said he would return my money if I had trouble registering it. How do military trailers work with being civilianized (term?)? Am I going to have trouble registering it? I am in CA.

3) Are there key things I need to look at for the trailer that would make me pass it by?

koolex11

Observer
I just saw your post. Did you end up getting the trailer? If you are still thinking on it, I might be able to help with your questions.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The M101 CDN trailer is a great little 1/4 ton trailer. The metal is of good quality, and very thick. They were manufactured in 1992, and there are a reported 2000 of them worldwide. They are a spin off of the M416 manufactured for the US military with some updates like extra reinforcement in the corners, tub and frame are 1 piece (think unibody) and they don't seem to rust as bad as the older trailers (better steel and coatings).

Many are converted over from lunette ring/pintle hits to ball style hitches for convenience. If you find one cheap...buy it! They are hard to find and are going for upwards of $1200-1500 for a stock one here in Canada.

They are tough trailers, track and tow well, haul a lot of weight and the suspension works very well with off the shelf replacement parts. You can even easily convert them to electric brakes.

do eeeet

New Horizons Overland

NEWHORIZONSOVERLAND
Took me four years to find one in great shape. Trust me, if you find a good one ...... GRAB IT!! They are not easily found. With a little research replacement parts are easy. Just replaced the bushings and bearings on my suspension and with the exception of the bushings all the parts were available at my local true value hardware.

seeker15

Thanks for the post guys.. Unfortunately, the guy told me it was a M101 and it was M100... But I ending up buying. It needs a lot of work and I keep seeking guessing it but we'll see. The PO of the PO installed a tongue but I haven't been able to find the locking mechanism for the hitch.
IMG_1010.JPG

I may just cut off the tongue and put a bracket for a more available pintle hook and lunette but I am not sure.
I want to get it rolling so I can get it registered and need to haul some composte and manure into the backyard soon.
Any recommendations?

If I keep it, I want to redo the floor and reinforce the sides (basically making a slighty smaller tub that the original wall are welded to). Since the tailgate has been removed I want to build a tailgate (CJ or Willy's?). Get the lights working. I have extra 33" tires and rims that match my rig that I would like to put on it but it probably means new axles. Then a tarp cover..... That's basically what I want to do... Thoughts and advice are much appreciated.
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG

koolex11

Observer
That thing looks nice from the small pics. Can you attach some bigger ones?

I would definitely get rid of that ridiculous tongue assembly. It looks like the first real stress would twist that thing right off. I would bet that isn't street legal. Put a new hitch right on the end of the triangle, above the landing gear where it is supposed to be, and you will triple your safety and load capacity.

Why the **** would somebody do that? Probably so they could pull with a Honda.

Anyway, send some bigger pics and let us get a good look at that thing! Good purchase. Youre going to have fune with that.

seeker15

Sorry haven't posted pics on a forum in a while.. Try these
IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

Another issue is my hitch strong enough. My rig came with a custo bumper that I love but who knows if it is really tow rated. I have a normal hitch I could attach underneath.
IMG_1024.JPG

koolex11

Observer
That hitch should be a little stronger. 3500# rated would be the safest (although you won't come close with that trailer) but you can try what you have and see if it starts to rip or bend. Just watch it closely

Looks like your trailer got hit by a truck, or maybe dropped of a cliff! Better get yourself a welder and a sawzall. Start taking her apart, save what you can, replace everything else, clean it up as you go, customizing to your needs along the way.

Start by taking the box off the frame, and see what kind of damage you have under there. Decide if you want to replace the axle, springs, etc.

You have more than enough resources on here to help you out, from 100% from-scratch fabrication to simple rehab jobs.

Good luck and keep us posted!

koolex11

Observer
You know that big eyehole above the landing gear is made for the original lunette ring. You can buy an OEM lunette for pretty cheap, if you want to go the pintle route;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lunette+military&_sacat=0&_odkw=lunette+eye&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I think, however, since this is after-all "military trailer 101," you might benefit from Mark Harley's thread. He did a really great job on a new tongue. I followed his lead and did the same. I took it to a trailer shop and he welded it all together for $66.

koolex11

Observer
adjustable channel for Jeep Cherokee. The middle one is a smaller 4-pin version (Harley's) but I opted for the bigger one to see how it works out:

DSCF5125.jpgchannelball3.JPGtongue_primed.jpg

seeker15

You know that big eyehole above the landing gear is made for the original lunette ring. You can buy an OEM lunette for pretty cheap, if you want to go the pintle route;

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lunette+military&_sacat=0&_odkw=lunette+eye&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
I would actually prefer the lunette style. Even though I really like that you can adjust your hitch and use a ball tongue on your design. Will those Lunettes on ebay work for m100? What should I look for in the eyehole? It isn't threaded, right? Sorry for the newbie questions... Thanks again

koolex11

Observer
No need to apologize, that's what the forum is for! I like talking about this stuff. I don't know about size for your trailer, but you want to measure the diameter of the hole carefully, both front and back, because it is tapered. Then you want to search for a tapered lunette and ask the seller about the same diameters. When you crank down on the nut, you will need it to pull tight so it doesn't rattle. I think yours is on the small end of the spectrum. Here is one you might want.

koolex11

Observer
Oh and by the way, if you can't find a lunette that fits, the adjustable channel has a lunnette coupler attachment.channel lunette.JPG

seeker15

I saw that style at a the trailer store.. Will I be happy with the tongue length with this style? Is there good reason to extend the tongue? Can you put a ball hitch adapter on this type?
Thanks for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger