Trailer 101 for a Noob

koolex11

Observer
No reason to extend the tongue. You want the coupler right at the end of the V where the 2 drawbars come together. That's how you get your strength. If you look at a trailer web site, you will see two types: one is a light duty trailer with a single drawbar coming out from the frame. They have very low weight ratings. The second kind is what you have, with a double V drawbar. The triangulation makes it much sturdier. When your previous owner stuck that silly tongue on there, he negated the strength of the V. Cut it off and weld a channel on like the pictures show and you will be good to go. The only thing you will sacrifice is a bit of turning radius, but not enough to worry about.

koolex11

Observer
I don't know if that one will fit. Hopefully someone is reading who has experience with your trailer! Maybe better to try the guys on SS and see what they think of this lunette.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The ebay lunette is nice but expensive.
I would find someone with a metal band saw or plasme cutter and lop that cobbled mess off.
Then you have a point to start the build. I would focus on getting her straight and true before all else.

The channel hitch and lunette solution is cheap and fast weld it on and go.
Don't forgat about safety chains too!

seeker15

Okay so I finally got a lunette set up similar to Koolex's . It has taken a lot more time than expected but patience is a virtue. I need the trailer functional before I really start dreaming (new frame, stretching?, and new axles) for some projects in the backyard that need light hauling. One of the rims is missing two lugs on one side so I wanted to replace them. I found out the hard way that they were left hand tighten. I got the wheel off and the three bolts in the front of the drum off but the drum won't come off. Do I need to take off the hub? Are there any tricks? Thanks!

seeker15

Here are a couple pics. I have got the trailer rolling and have brought a few loads of manure/compost for our backyard project. I am having a lot of fun with it. I don't have lights yet. What do you guys recommend?
trailer.jpg
trailer_1.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Sits nice with your jeep.
Your hitch channel looks a lot safer and cleaner than the PO cobbled mess.
will you be painting it? new rims and tires?
Keep us posted.

seeker15

I will be painting. Not sure on what color yet... I like olive drab but it clashes with my heep. I have jeep axles (Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25) that I am considering swapping in because I have it and I have matching 33x12.5 tires already to go. What do you guys think? Not worth the extra weight?
It will make the width of the trailer wider which will be nice to match tire tracks on the trail. I am seriously considering stretching the trailer's width to match the axle and give me more space. A buddy is planning on making a new frame anyways because this one is so tweaked. Maybe even do a tilt feature. What do you think?
Are lights a big deal? Should I just pick some up at the local auto store?

Pikeman

Adventurer
Go to e-trailer.com and order up the lights and wiring, good prices and really quick shipping. They have complete kits or you can pick and choose which lights you want including from LED's.

As far as the width that is up to you, most people like to keep it the small width and ad fenders and slider/ running boards. This keeps the tub in tight and protected as well as provide a place for fuel cans and several other items. I think swapping the axle is ok, but would probably look for a hub swap only to change to the Jeep pattern.

seeker15

It's been a while but I found the thread again. How do I change the Hubs to make them match my jeep? It's too hard to find rims for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Septu

Explorer
You can get adapters (this is what I have), or talk to a trailer shop about changing out the hubs. Apparently new hubs isn't that big of a deal. No clue on where to get adapters (I had mine offered to me by a fellow forum member).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman