Trailer axle?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
So I am looking to replace the axle on my Conqueror trailer.

The main reasons I want to switch axles:
1. Add brakes
2. Get a common size bearings, so I could replace if they ever gave me trouble on the road

I stopped by a trailer shop and was told:
1. to get the 6 on 5.5 wheel hub, I had to get the 5,000 lb axle
2. I want to add trailer brakes, so I have to rewire the trailer for 7 pin
3. They can not tell me the track width of my truck... how do I measure that?
It's the 02 Tacoma...
4. They require a break away switch and battery?

I was quoted $500, plus the cost of the break away switch and rewiring the trailer.... I can do some of the wiring, but would love to add charging ability for my house battery (not sure I feel great about me doing that)

On-line I found - http://abctrailerparts.com/axles.html
Electric brake axle sold with five or six lug hub drums, bearings, grease caps, 10" electric brake assemblies and lug nuts $205.99.

If I know the track width of my truck, is there a better on-line source for these parts, including a in cab brake controller?

TIA

97tjguzzy

Explorer
you can get the 6 on 5.5 in a 3500lb axle, I ordered mine in a 5 on 5.5 from this place, took a few days to get to me in SC.

Do you plan to put it in yourself or do you plan to have a shop do it. I didnt get trailer brakes on mine, just idler hubs, but they have both.

it was $104 without the brakes, or $256 with the brakes

http://www.trailerpart.com/35ktraileraxle.htm

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you are trying to match the exact tire placement of the trailer to your tow vehicle it may vary from the published data depending on what rims and tires you are using.

The simplest way to take a measurement is to lay a straight 2x4 up next to the outside of each rear tire and measure the distance between the two 2x4's, Distance A

If your spare matches the tires and rims on the vehicle lay the spare face up on the ground. Place a 2x4 over the top of the tire and measure the distance from the inside of the rim, where it mounts against the hub, to the top of the tire. Distance B

Subtract B from A to give you the mounting surface distance. Most axle manufacturers can make an axle from this measurement.

You will also need to locate the position for the spring purchases.

6 on 5.5 are available for 3500 lb axles.

If you can read a wiring diagram and have some practical skills I don't see too much problem wiring a 7 pin, the electric brakes, and the breakaway. I'd advise installing a junction box between the cable coming from the 7 pin and the wiring in the trailer. It makes troubleshooting a lot easier as well as adding and future accessories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman