Trailer Battery Monitor

peekay

Adventurer
check out the rv.net forums. I researched this product a few months ago and they really recommended it over there.

orangeTJ

Explorer
I'd recommend the Link 10 battery monitor over the one mentioned above.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/237/p/1/pt/5/product.asp

much easier to use too.

mounts in the hole you'd use to mount a gauge in:
link10_290x230.jpg

splash proof front panel.

I've used the Link 10 in many different rigs I've had over the years. At one point I think I was using 4 of them. I'm down to one (in the RV) right now.

P0002866.jpg

or get one of these (which are new)

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/274/p/1/pt/7/product.asp

linkpro_290x230.jpg

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/273/p/1/pt/8/product.asp

linklite_290x230.jpg

Last edited:

socaljeeper

Adventurer
orangeTJ said:
I'd recommend the Link 10 battery monitor over the one mentioned above.

Seems like that one is a lot more higher quality than previous. I did not realize they were so expensive, but it seems like it would be a good addition on the tongue box. It also has a splash proof front which would work out great since it will be mounted on the tongue box. Thanks for the recommendation!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
What is exactly you want to measure?

The reason I ask is, all of these meters seem excellent and do a multitude of tasks, but if your requirements are simple then a simple gauge may do just as well.

To my knowledge, and please correct me if I'm wrong, none of these gauges will give you an idea of how your battery was "aging" over time, and how the battery was slowly losing capacity, unless they were hooked up to the battery when new. They would only give you a short warning when the battery was in immanent failure.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:26_7_2: I just use one meter and it tells me the condition of the battery, in relation to it's charge condition and output

It's wired for indication on demand, not routine use

Sorry for the quality of the pic, I took it at 10:00 PM in March, of this year

:REOutCampFire03: :safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Martyn said:
What is exactly you want to measure?

The reason I ask is, all of these meters seem excellent and do a multitude of tasks, but if your requirements are simple then a simple gauge may do just as well.

To my knowledge, and please correct me if I'm wrong, none of these gauges will give you an idea of how your battery was "aging" over time, and how the battery was slowly losing capacity, unless they were hooked up to the battery when new. They would only give you a short warning when the battery was in immanent failure.

I want to measure voltage, consumed amp hours and remaining battery capacity. I also want to be able to mount it on the outside of the tongue box.

telwyn

Adventurer
I have the National Luna single battery monitor on the nosebox on my trailer. Is the draw on this so negligible that I can leave it "on" all the time or should it only be turned on when prepping for and actually going on a trip?

Also, somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know how water resistant (didn't say waterproof) the National Luna monitor is? Not looking to submerge it, but will it handle the rain or the trailer being hosed off?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior