Trailer Battery Questions

Inkog

Observer
I was just given 3 of these batteries TC-12150c:

http://www.powerbattery.com/pdf/1222-2-0805%20PRC-12150C.pdf

Judging from the manufacture's site these are sealed AGM VRLA's rated at 140AH @ 20 hours.

I'm far from a battery expert, so I wondered if anyone can tell me if these would work well for our intended trailer uses? I want to make sure they are safe. Are their any special charging or other limitiations to these type of batteries?

The batteries are from huge UPS systems providing backup power for a data warehouse. They are used but I know they are only 4 yrs old, with a 10yr rated service life. If it matters, these batteries were in banks of 40! A friend tells me he is still using a couple from the last replacement cycle 4 years ago.

Edit; I'm looking for a decent inverter/converter/charge device. Are their worth while options out there for <$200?
(You should see the $200k worth of newly installed ones :Wow1: :drool:)
Edit: I'll show you

batteries.jpg

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Oh no, those would be very bad for your application. Send them to me and I'll dispose of them properly for you, no charge.

;)

Robert Bills

Explorer
I agree - these batteries would be very, very bad for your trailer. Fortunately, I have a "disposal site" right in my garage. Send them to me. :drool:

762X39

Explorer
Get yourself a good battery charger that can be set to AGM. The most important key's to long battery life is not to discharge it past max depth of discharge (available on the spec sheet I would think) and to keep them properly charged with an appropriate 3 stage charger.Have fun with them:coffee:

Inkog

Observer
Well, I guess I'm OK with these batteries... :D

After reading up on the whole amp hour thing... 140Ah /20 hours = 7amps for 20 hours, or 3.5amps for 40 hours till the battery reaches 10.5v.

That seems like a lot. I was thinking of using 2 in the trailer, but @ almost 100lbs each I think 1 would do for the normal 3 day trips I take.
What is an approximate total amp draw for a ARB cooler over 20hrs, accounting for cycling on/off?

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
I think the draw on a cooler is going to vary a bit ? how hot is it outside ? how cool is your cooler set whats in it how often is it getting opened ? their have been some good threads and info on here I have read in the past especially under some of the solar panel threads ! of what power is needed to keep you going

I have some very nice AGM 104 Ah batteries two of them in my trailer and going 3 days is not a hard stretch with a cooler that is gotten into ALOT with kids and snacks and drinks etc.. and some lights and outlets for a few things before I fire up the generator to charge them back up !
but I try to charge them up every day a bit

one of those in a rig should be plenty is my thought :) two of them would be overkill depending on the trailer ?
my batteries are 140 lbs for the two of them ? I am not sure I would want to have just over 200 lbs of batteries ?
I would say try out one first and see how things go though ?

hope this info helps :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12