Trailer brake controler

Pest

Adventurer
Just got a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 as well. Got the plug and play adaptor for my Dodge Ram as well. Plugged it in and tugged around my parents Travel Trailer (about 3000lbs.) I have to say that this is the smoothest brake controller I have ever used. I am extremely impressed! Highly recommended. :wings:

traveler57

Observer
Jeep JK wiring

Just a follow up, since I now have my new JK. (for about 4 weeks now)

It comes from the factory with only the 4pin wiring harness. So, I will have the dealer install the 7pin wiring harness on Monday. only $80 for the 7pin harness and $60 for the install. (cheap enough from a dealer! and worth saving the hassle of running the harness from the rear to the front myself) and yes, the dealer will guarantee the harness for 3 years.

No, there is no "factory connector" under the dash of the 2010 JK for the brake controller. (but it is there on the Grand Cherokee) It is a manual splice job, but not a hard one. Just need to confirm if the brake controller's 12V power wire will be part of the Mopar harness or not. This 12V normally comes direct from the battery with a 20A fuse. Separately from the 30A fused 12V that is run to the 7pin for the trailer battery charger.

BTW-
I will be starting the build my custom trailer too, very soon. But unlike all the MUCH smarter guys on this forum doing the welding themselves, I have found a very good local shop that builds custom utility trailers.

TheMike

Adventurer
Just need to confirm if the brake controller's 12V power wire will be part of the Mopar harness or not.
Yes, it's there with a fuse inline near the battery. There is also a blue wire from the harness that if they install correctly will be coiled up inside the JK by your feet. That's for the brake controller.

enjoy!

rk_az

Adventurer
I just installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 in my '04 Tacoma. The truck doesn't have a factory pigtail, so I had to do the wiring manually. It wasn't too bad, especially since I needed to run a wire from the fuse block to the trailer plug anyway, for the utility lights on my trailer. The hardest part was tapping into the brake sensor switch wire, cuz it was rather hard to get to, I had to install the wire tapper blind. But I made it happen!

Since I don't smoke, and was only using the ashtray as storage for my garage door opener, I gave it a new home, and removed the ashtray. The brake controller mounted in there real nice.

Now I think I just need to adjust the brakes on the trailer. I couldn't get them to lock up during calibration. But then, maybe those brakes just aren't up to locking up 33" MT's on pavement...

traveler57

Observer
Yes, it's there with a fuse inline near the battery. There is also a blue wire from the harness that if they install correctly will be coiled up inside the JK by your feet. That's for the brake controller.

enjoy!

Just a follow up. I just finished my install of the Prodigy P2 controller and the MOPAR 7-pin harness in my 2010 JK. To confirm for the next jeep owner, there is NOT a 12VDC (or ground) wire for the brake controller's power connection in the MOPAR 7-pin tow harness. the 12VDC (with the fuse) & Ground wires of the MOPAR harness are routed directly to the rear connector at the bumper for the 7pin connector. These are not meant for powering the controller.

For the Brake Controller itself, I ran separate 12VDC and ground wires from the battery to the controller. This is per the Tekonsha instructions. and they did not recommend trying to tap into any existing 12VDC point. but rather go directly to the battery. (along with a 30A auto-reset circuit breaker.) They also recommend using a direct ground wire back to the neg post of the battery.

There is an easy pass through point in the fire wall for all wires. it is a rubber grommet at the top right of the fire wall if looking inside the engine compartment.

Only the blue wire of the factory MOPAR 7-pin harness is connected to the P2.

Just wanted to clarify since we are speaking about two different 12VDC connections. one for the trailer charging via the hitch plug and another one that powers only the brake controller itself.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
What kind of electric brake control are you using? I have a 2006 Jeep Unlimted Rubicon with a Mopar accesory trailer tow wire harness and need a electric brake control now. The harness is a 7 way rv plug and has a blue wire for the electric brakes.

If your jeep has the tow package it should be wired for just a pig tail to the jeep to controller. should be a simple plug it unit.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Bumping this up.

I just ordered the latest and greatest trailer brake controller from Valley. The Odyssey II. I was almost going to buy the Tekonsha P-3, but the Odyssey is even better in that it can be mounted at any angle, a full 360 degrees, and also 20 degrees side to side. I figure this might work a little better off-road, say going down a steep hill that is off-camber. Who knows, but it was only $5 more so I'm giving it a shot.

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Valley/32810.html

Just to follow up, I finally got this controller wired up and tested it the past week. I don't know what to say... it works.

At first the trailer brakes didn't have enough power with the gain dialed all the way up. But eventually I guess the brakes "broke in" and I had to dial back the gain. I like the pressure sensitive manual brake application button, and I like that it can memorize multiple settings for different tow-vehicles or trailers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78

Members online