Trailer brake controller

A_beer

So I tried searching and didn't come up with any answers. We recently got a chaser trailer, and are moving from my F250 to a 4Runner. In the Ford I LOVED the integrated brake controller. A great unit. Now I need to add a brake controller to the 4Runner. What are most of y'all doing for brake controllers? It seems both the time delay (curt, drawtite, hayes, etc) and the inertial/proportional (tekonsha) would have issues offroad. Anybody want to share what they are using and how they like it?

dusty122

Adventurer
im using the Tekonsha 90195 P3 for my teardrop with electric brakes. Trying to find a place to mount the controller where its not super obnoxious is the hardest part.

Phxdsrtrat

Observer
As with everything expedition trailer related looked to Australia. I installed a Redarc Tow Pro Elite so I wouldn't have to deal with mounting the unit where I would bang my knees on it. Google it. I think it's a great compromise.

-Curtiss

A_beer

Thanks for the reply. What kind of surfaces do you travel offroad? My thought is that over drops and ledges like we have up here it would get confused. On fire roads it would certainly seem like a better option.

JPShooter

Adventurer
Another vote for the Tekonsha P3.

Have it one my Tundra and can move it over to my 4Runner if needed with a second harness already installed in the 4Runner. I haven't used it in the 4Runner yet, but I can't imagine it would be any different than in the Tundra. As dusty122 mentioned you have to deal with the mounting issue, but functionally it's a great unit.

I don't know about other controllers, but an advantage to the P3 for me is that I just converted my M1101 trailer to an electric over hydraulic system, and not all controllers are hydraulic capable. If you need that functionality someday, then it's there.

dstock

Explorer
Tekonsha P3 here as well with electric brakes on my Dexter axle, manual control on the bottom is great for easing the trailer off large rock ledges.

Mine has been flawless so far.

rnArmy

Adventurer
ZJ brake controller.4.jpg

Another vote for the P3. Been very happy with it, and easy to set up. You just have to find a place to mount it so you can reach the lever when you need to manually override the brakes, but not have it in your way. I ordered my P3 unit and all the vehicle 7-prong wiring stuff from etrailer.

A_beer

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like nobody has any issues with the inertial ones. That Aussie one is cool but expensive!

97kurt

Adventurer
I went cheaper and got the tekonsha 9030 for my 97 4runner. Super easy setup and calibration, works fine. Hardest part of the install was finding the brake signal trigger wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears