Trailer build based on a utility trailer

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
For many years now I have a Maggiolina roof top tent that I sometimes carry on the roof of my Jeep,
CampingOct09-02.jpg

sometimes on my Carry-on utility trailer.
Commander00.jpg

I actually find it more practical on the trailer. So for a while I was ogling with an off-road trailer (or a FlipPac for my JK ;))

Well, reality is that I live about 2,500 miles away from Baja and about 1,800 miles from Moab. In a good year, I might manage to go camping about 12 weekends a year, in a regular year, it's more like 6 to 8 times. Looking at this realistically, I can't justify shelling out the money for a Conquerer, a Chaser, an Oasis or a Kamparoo, (or the PlipPac, no matter how much I like it). Fabbing something from scratch is pretty much out, as I don't have a welder (heck, I don't even manage to make a straight cut with my jig saw :eek: so what in the world would I do with welder :D)

I decided to look for a new, suitable trailer fulfilling the following criteria:
  • Cost under $1,500
  • As light as possible, as strong as necessary
  • Compact size, preferably 4x6 to match the size of my Maggiolina
  • Sufficient gear carrying capacity under the RTT
  • Suitable for travels at interstate speed
  • Moderately off-road capable, suitable for the typical fire roads found here in NW GA.

A M416 would have been a possibility, but either they are affordable or in decent conditions, but very rarely both. Plus they are heavy. Utility trailers on the trailer lots were either too flimsy or too big, or both. A couple nice things came up on the ExPo, but all too far from home.

Anyhow, after a couple months of searching and not finding anything to my liking, I came across Outback Trailers in Steele, AL, a utility trailer manufacturer about an hour from home. Gary was willing to build a utility trailer close to my specs. Keep in mind, despite the rugged name - Outback Trailers - these people are not off-road trailer builders but manufacturers of good solid utility trailers. My trailer can not be compared to a fully fledged off-road trailer like Martyn and Mario build at Adventure Trailer or Robert at Outlander Trailer. But for what I intend to use it, it should do just fine.

Last Saturday I was able to pick my trailer up; here the specs and some pics of it.
  • 4x6 utility trailer
  • 24" side rails lined with expanded metal
  • Frame sized for 3,500 lbs capacity
  • 3,500 lbs axle on 2,000 lbs springs, spring over
  • 15" wheels with 205/75-15 tires
Trailer-01.jpg

Trailer-03.jpg

Here my new trailer in the back ground, the old Carry-on in the front
Trailer-00.jpg

Next steps
  • Paint the underside of the trailer :(
  • Mount Maggiolina
  • Put a catch on the tailgate to use it as a table
  • Fold down tables on the side
  • And much more down the road

Thread to be continued ... :coffee:

Last edited:

Sabre07

Observer
not too far from me either

...just the other way.

I want to see what you got built in Steele and what you do with it. I have been scouring the sideroads south of Birmingham hoping to locate an 416 sitting behind somebody's barn...no luck. Show some photos....:) Please.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
hmmm, when I'm logged in, I can see the pictures in my first post, when I'm not logged in, there are no pics, not even a :removeredX: I am confused :confused:

I used the image insertion function and pasted the location under properties; all my pics are in my ExPo album. Help please ...

Last edited:

Token

Explorer
There's an Expo Album here..??

I've kinda go tthe same idea in mind for a build up.. Having a hard time finding a 4x6 with anything bigger than 12' wheels though.. When it' sdone what I've got in mind would be riding on 16" H3 wheels and 35" tires, with a couple of those diamond plate tool boxes bolted on for storage and a frame to support a RTT..

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
(heck, I don't even manage to make a straight cut with my jig saw :eek: :D)

Well that's the problem! A jig is not designed for cutting straight lines... :D (which makes me wonder what the engineers were thinking when they put 'lasers' on them now)

You need to host the pictures at a different location, ie. photobucket, and then paste them here. I am not aware of ExPo hosting pictures, although I could be wrong. I see the IMG url when I quote you, but the file must not exist.

Looking forward to seeing it, let me know if I can help. You know where I am.

~ James

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Funny that you went with Outback; I almost used them before I bought the Conqueror and had been emailing the sketches for a while. They were very helpful and their prices were very low.

When are you going to bring it out to play?

KSJeep

Explorer
There's an Expo Album here..??

I've kinda go tthe same idea in mind for a build up.. Having a hard time finding a 4x6 with anything bigger than 12' wheels though.. When it' sdone what I've got in mind would be riding on 16" H3 wheels and 35" tires, with a couple of those diamond plate tool boxes bolted on for storage and a frame to support a RTT..

My Carry-On trailer came with those 12" tires also, 4x8. Found some 15" tires with the same bolt pattern then did the spring over and 3" lift blocks. It now sits level with my lifted Jeep and has been dragged a few hundered miles off road with no problems. Just another inexpensive option (I had the trailer anyway).

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Here my new trailer in the back ground, the old Carry-on in the front
Trailer-00.jpg

So that's what my trailer looks like! Poor little Carry-On. Going from a life of leisure and adventure to being dragged behind some hick's 4-wheeler hauling firewood and "living challenged" critters. Hope it likes snow and mud!:elkgrin:

Your new trailer looks great, Michael! What a great choice to bridge the usefullness/expense void.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
So that's what my trailer looks like! Poor little Carry-On. Going from a life of leisure and adventure to being dragged behind some hick's 4-wheeler hauling firewood and "living challenged" critters. Hope it likes snow and mud!:elkgrin:

Your new trailer looks great, Michael! What a great choice to bridge the usefullness/expense void.
Mark, she is ready for her new life, a life of being used instead of collecting dust in the garage :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12

Members online