Trailer Build

Heimz

Observer
AWESOME build so far, man. I just read through the whole thread and I am impressed with your dilligence on metal prep. Im a welder by profession and even some of the clowns at my work never bother to remove mill scale.

When you finish your project, the great thing about your choice in lights is that when they do burn out (and believe me they will eventually), they are very cheap and can be purchased at any Flying J, T/A, or NAPA auto parts. They are standard Semi-trailer lights, they will also have the grommets too.

Cant wait for the end result!

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
More Lights

Been a long while since I posted any updates. I have more steel work done, but will get to that later. For now, here's the new lights:

Wanted to give a special shout out to Josh, at Skinny Pedal. Been struggling for a while with the idea of how to illuminate the trailer at night for unloading when up at the ranch. We normally pull in late at night when it's pitch black out so unloading by lantern is tough to say the least. When Josh posted up with his new "Mini-Me" Rock Lights, I knew EXACTLY what I was going to do to solve the problem-those Mini-Me's would be PERFECT for Lid lights to illuminate the trailer!!! No more lanter troubles! Next order of business was figuring out what to do about license plate lights as I didn't like any on the market that I'd seen to date. Mention word about that and Josh said well, take a look at these and see what you think. Bingo! Exactly what I needed!!! I'll take 3. We discussed a few other ideas, I'm an IDIOT at wiring and Josh had everything I needed all boxed up and shipped out on it's way. Oh-forgot to mention one other item-needed a set of switches to make everything go. Ended up with a CarlingSwitch double switch bank as well. On with the pics!!!

Here's a shot of the whole works. 3 Mini-Me's, 3 license plate LED's, a pair of in-line fuse's, a 4 block fuse bank, some wire, the carlingswitch, and mounts for the mini-mes. Think that covers the main parts. There will be 2 Mine-Me's in the main box lid and 1 in the tool box lid on the nose. 1 license plate LED on this trailer and 1 on each of two other trailers:
minimes001.jpg

Here's a shot of the Carlingswitch. It's submersible for 30 minutes if I remember right, so it should work great on my trailer in the weather. I'll mount it somewhere that it won't see the harsh weather but still, wanted it somewhat protected so this should work good. One green and one red to distinguish between the trailer lid lights and the tool box lights on the nose:
minimes002.jpg

I can't get over how small these Mini-Me's are-here's one light (minus the mounting bracket which doesn't take up very much room either), 4 LED's inside with great light output. I'll be getting a full set of these for the Jeep eventually:
minimes003.jpg

Here's a shot at how thin they are. I got white, but Josh has a whole host of other colors including infrared I believe to suit your specific needs or color requirements:
minimes004.jpg

Here's a shot at the license plate LED's-these little guys are bright too! I hooked them up to a 9-volt battery to test and was surprised at how bright they are. They'll work great on the trailers for relocating my license plates to another location so I stop tearing them up and will still be illuminated with these little guys:
minimes005.jpg

Anyway, that's what I've got so far. Once I get the trailer done, I'll be back with some shots of the lights in action and lit up at night. These will work GREAT in use no doubt and are perfect for my application here, as well as their other rock light application. Josh was EXCELLENT to work with, highly recommend him if you need some rock lights for your rig or anything else wiring related. Find him at SkinnyPedal here:

http://www.skinnypedal.net/

more to come...

Best of Luck,

Mike

trail-explorer

Adventurer
.... http://ledtrailerlights.com/ but you can also check out http://www.4x4led.com for a few different items for your truck. Doug is GREAT to work with and really knows his lights. I had a TON of questions for him as I knew NOTHING about LED lights in general. I fired a bunch of emails and PM's back and forth and he was lightning fast in his response and very thorough and detailed and more than happy to help out.

Thanks Doug for all the help and for the Great Service!

more to come...

Best of Luck,

Mike

I saw a newer style LED backup light that I may end up going with on my trailer build.... it has more LEDs, so of course it should be brighter.

this one:

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/other/k-L16-0027-oval-backup.htm

backup-oval-45-led-L16-0027.jpg

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
I saw a newer style LED backup light that I may end up going with on my trailer build.... it has more LEDs, so of course it should be brighter.

this one:

http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/other/k-L16-0027-oval-backup.htm

backup-oval-45-led-L16-0027.jpg

Sorry, I haven't updated in a while-I pulled the Jeeperman rear bumper/swingout setup as my wife just hated it, and quite frankly-I wasn't fond of it either anymore. I built my own rear, and actually-yeah, I found those new lights you referenced above too. I scrapped my original backups and bought 4 of the ones you linked above. Two will be in the trailer, and two are in the Jeep's new rear bumper. Here they are:

backupLEDsbumper005.jpg

backupLEDsbumper007.jpg

LEDbackupbumpers004.jpg

backupLEDsbumper001.jpg

backupLEDsbumper002.jpg

These lights are much nicer than I expected-the pics on Dougs site do NOT do them justice. They are GREAT, I am very happy with them. They will be GREAT in the trailer too and I'm very happy I got a matched pair to compliment the Jeep bumper and the trailer both so they match when the trailer gets finished. Now that I have the bumper situation under control and finished, I hope to get back on the trailer build next week. I have a few more things done that aren't updated on this build, and hope to finish a couple more early next week so I can post a few more pics-talk about beefy-wait till you see what I have in store...:sombrero:

Best of Luck,

Mike

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Fender Work

Well, haven't updated things in a while so here goes:

Well after several months of nothing to update, I have a LITTLE progress. Not a lot to show, but I guess something is better than nothing. I thought long and hard about fenders and what to do with them. Got sick and tired of the typical trailer fender getting beat up and trashed so I wanted something that would be stout enough to handle the abuse I put my trailers through. Hopefully these will work. Again, this is not your typical trailer, so these are not your typical fenders either. Still not finished, have a lot of welding to go, but figured I better get something up as it's been months now. You can see the basic outline of what is happening and have the general idea of what is going on, so hopefully this makes sense.

This first pic is how it sits overall:
fenderwork001.jpg

In this pic you can kind of see the DOM tube inserted into the frame on each side. This will be where my electrical and eventually water lines run through, keeping them up and out of the way and preventing them from being run under the trailer. Main lines will go through there. Electrical down the driver side, water down the passenger side. It's 1.75 .120 DOM I had left over from my cage project so I'll have room for other stuff too if need be. Still need to drill the holes and run the tube (smaller of course) for the main lines going out to the LED markers. As the main receiver tube sits 3/4" below the main frame, I also brought up the center line to sit level with the deck when sheet is laid. Still need to cap the ends. Left space in front and behind to run lines over the top of the main tube:
fenderwork002.jpg

Here's a long shot of the fender overall. If it looks a little crooked, it's an illusion. I off-set the light boxes to account for the distance the LED grommets stick out. They're flush mount LED's and for as many trailer lights as I've broke on my other trailers, I figured I'd build these with not only recessed lights, but recessed boxes too, to account for the grommet. So, the "light box" is set back 5/8" behind the main fender line both at the front, and the back of the main fender. I still have triangular beams to add in so the idea is that when I bash this into a tree, rock, stump or other trail debris, I am HOPING that the main fender line will deflect the trailer off and around the LED light box and the LED will pass just behind the obstacle, leaving the LED in-tact and damage free. That's the idea anyway-we'll see how it works when it's done. Here's what I mean:
fenderwork003.jpg

Here's a shot of the LED box-have not yet cut the mounting hole out. Electrical lines will be run through the tube. Still need to drill holes through the tube and burn in the other smaller tube inside the main frame leading to the fender tubes at all corners:
fenderwork004.jpg

Shot from behind-still have a lot of welding and cleanup work to do-it will all be cleaned up before sheet is laid:
fenderwork005.jpg

Shot from the other side:
fenderwork006.jpg

Seems simple enough, but a lot of time and work has gone into those damn things and I'm not even done with them yet. Still have triangular tubes to add in front/rear and off the horizontal as well up front, and more welding on them to finish them. Not far from sheeting it though, so it's getting closer. Like I said, not a lot to report, but some progress none the less.

more to come...

Best of Luck,

Mike

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Man alive! That has got to be the most over built trailer frame I've ever seen. You could carry a small dozer "on top" of that thing. Nice work!

What does the frame weigh?

Are you not concerned about excessive wheel bearing wear with those spacers. Unless the wheel offset compensates for it, it would seem to throw the weight well off the centerline of the bearings.

Keep up the nice work.......

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Man alive! That has got to be the most over built trailer frame I've ever seen. You could carry a small dozer "on top" of that thing. Nice work!

What does the frame weigh?

Are you not concerned about excessive wheel bearing wear with those spacers. Unless the wheel offset compensates for it, it would seem to throw the weight well off the centerline of the bearings.

Keep up the nice work.......

:D Thanks! My 5x10 weighs around 1100lbs. so I'm hoping to keep this one somewhere around 1200 or so-maybe a tad more and it won't hurt my feelings at all for what I'm doing with it. As far as what it weighs right now-I don't know exactly right this second but I can tell you this-I'm UNDER what I had expected at this point. I had to change plans a bit here and there for various reasons and a few places ended up being shorter than expected and I went lighter than planned on a few areas. My sheet is heavier than I had wanted due to sizing limitations though so I think it will wash out when I get to that point. What I DON'T know is weight of Line-X, electrical, jack, what my tongue box will be yet and I'm still undecided on my tailgate setup.

As to the bearings-the wheels have 5" BS on the factory Moabs. I didn't really want to run the spacers but in order to keep the factory rims, I had to do that to keep the tires/rims able to rotate from trailer to Jeep. I'm not worried about the bearings though-I run heavier/wider setups on other trailers without issue so this shouldn't be a problem on this little guy.

As to the weight-yeah, it's grossly overkill for what most folks will need and if I was doing this for anybody else, it wouldn't be half this stout unless they specifically asked for it. Sad thing is-I hope it holds up to what I do with it. I'm tired of killing my other trailers and needed something that would stand up to the abuse. Hoping this does the trick.

Best of Luck,

Mike

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Nice work

but I think your gona need a bigger jeep to haul that !

Please tell me the panels will be aluminum !

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Interesting. If your wheels have 5" backspacing anyway, you might not be far off with your spacers. A 6" wide trailer wheel would have a 3" backspacing, I believe. The mounting face is right in the centerline. Your spacer might bring you right to that same point.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Wow-long time has passed since I updated anything here. A LOT has happened in the last year or so-move to new place, spent a fair amount of time in the hospital again, uncertainty of keeping job due to health, etc. The trailer is substantially further along than this, though I haven't updated in a long while. Due to an unexpected series of events with my health and job, the trailer will no longer be used for "off-road" use, but instead, will become my new "mobile office" so to speak. I started back work on it again here recently and have been going hard at it in the last couple weeks, trying to get it finished here real soon, to put to work. Unfortunately, it will get bigger. Taller I should say, due to the nature of the business and what it's going to haul once finished. There is an end in sight now, and I recently had discussions with a local guy for finish paint/powdercoat work. A lot has changed. Should be done soon. I'll try and get this thread updated here before too long. Regarding weight-believe it or not but I've actually been UNDER planned/target weight up to now. Unfortunately with the new direction this is going, I am afraid I'll now be overweight when it's said and done. All the while targeting that 1100-1200 mark. Think when this is done, due to what's happening now, I'll be over. Definitely could have been easily under though if things went as originally planned. Not bad for a trailer built like a brick ___house. :coffeedrink:

I'll update soon. Thanks for the interest and PM's.

Best of Luck,

Mike

trail-explorer

Adventurer
What will you be hauling with the trailer's "new" usage?

I've bought some other lights from the same place and have been happy with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12