Trailer roof rack lift...how to?

FrenchyGagnon

I am looking for options on how to lift and lower the yet to be built roof rack of my trailer. I need about 1' to 1.5' lift. Gas struts or linear actuators? Design...
I remember seeing a gas strut design on this forum not too long ago but can't find.
Thanks for the help.

Atchcraft

Gas strut lift

Mine uses 60# gas struts, at each corner, and I get about 20" of lift. It's held down with spring loaded pins and will almost lift all the way up by itself. Coming down is easy with 2 people, and not that difficult by myself. The springs are mounted inside the tubing. I've only had a month to get this thing ready, so I haven't stopped to take a lot of pics. Im getting ready to take it apart one last time and I'd be glad to take pics if you want.
IMG_1521_zps36sjodw2.jpg

IMG_1517_zpshylox4rh.jpg

Martyinco

Adventurer
I am in the process of installing my Linear Actuators, 20" of total lift is what my rack calls for. I will use a double pole rocker switch (on-off-on) one way for up, one way for down, my linear actuators also have built in limiting switches so they shut before damage occurs.

Down (Before I skinned the sides and added the RTT)
t8.jpg

Up (Bottom of RTT is 6'2")
t9.jpg

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Check out the Kirkham Motorsports AC Cobra. They actually have a PDF of the process and go through some of the research on making their aluminum parts and frame.

Hoghead

Observer
I used actuators as well. To me, it took the guess work our of trying to figure out what size gas struts to use. Also, its a switch up and down. Downside is, maybe less reliable and have to have power. But I was planning on power anyway, actuators just pushed that to the front. From what I could tell, price was about a wash.

FrenchyGagnon

Thanks all for your help. I am leaning towards the gas springs system inside the tubing because of simplicity and protection from the environment.

FrenchyGagnon

I used actuators as well. To me, it took the guess work our of trying to figure out what size gas struts to use. Also, its a switch up and down. Downside is, maybe less reliable and have to have power. But I was planning on power anyway, actuators just pushed that to the front. From what I could tell, price was about a wash.

Any issues with the actuators being exposed to rain?

FrenchyGagnon

Mine uses 60# gas struts, at each corner, and I get about 20" of lift. It's held down with spring loaded pins and will almost lift all the way up by itself. Coming down is easy with 2 people, and not that difficult by myself. The springs are mounted inside the tubing. I've only had a month to get this thing ready, so I haven't stopped to take a lot of pics. Im getting ready to take it apart one last time and I'd be glad to take pics if you want.
IMG_1521_zps36sjodw2.jpg

IMG_1517_zpshylox4rh.jpg

I like your design. More pix and maybe a simple schematic diagram would be appreciated. Any issues with the whole system rattling in the upper position when you are in the RTT? Does the water that seeps through where the 2 tubings meet drains at the bottom of the lower tube?

FrenchyGagnon

I cant speak for Hoghead's actuators, but the ones I purchased have a IP65 rating which is more than enough for outdoor use on the trailer :)

I looked at your build thread and I see that you don't have the actuators installed yet. What's your plan? 4 actuators at each corners connected to single switch. Battery powered? Secured in up / down positions with pins? What actuators did you order?
Thanks

Martyinco

Adventurer
I looked at your build thread and I see that you don't have the actuators installed yet. What's your plan? 4 actuators at each corners connected to single switch. Battery powered? Secured in up / down positions with pins? What actuators did you order?
Thanks

Yeah they are sitting on a shelf, just came in last week. 4 actuators, one on each corner, connected to a single double pole switch (on-off-on) 100ah battery that is backed up by a 100w solar, and pop pins that lock it in either up or down.

http://www.windynation.com/Linear-A...ators-various-stroke-lengths/-/244?p=YzE9Mjg=

Hoghead

Observer
Any issues with the actuators being exposed to rain?

No issues so far, but mine doesn't see rain that often. It's stored indoors unless being used. It has been in the rain a time or two. Expo east last year for one. I used 4 actuators, one on each corner. I tried on opposite corners and didn't like it. Never tried it with a loaddd rack even. I didn't get mine from windy nation, I believe I got them off of eBay, but it's been a while. Their going on 2 years old. I believe that the are 18" stroke and 250lb. All of mine are wired to one switch. I'm using a trim motor (boat) switch. It's ran thru two relays for reverse polarity. JKChad on here has a pretty sweet setup for the gas springs inside the tubing.

Atchcraft

No problem. I'm actually tearing it apart this weekend and I'll snap a bunch of pics. As for rocking, I took it out for a weekend shake-down and The rack was steady as a rock. If you are going to use tube, I'd suggest DOM, since it has no seam. My struts fit inside a 1.5", .120 wall tube.

The trailer has 12v and air, so I could have gone a lot of ways. But, this was the simple solution for the time I have to get it ready for 3 week trip in June. This winter, I'm going to redo the whole thing and add some style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78