Trailer Security and the TrailerWatch 2?

JPShooter

Adventurer
I'm wondering how others are dealing with the issue of security for expedition type trailers (i.e. the typical rolling storage box with an RTT on top).

I've got an M1101 that I am just fine with as an "open box carrier" while enroute to and on trail. If I'm concerned with rain and or things bouncing out then a tarp and cargo net will suffice for my needs.

But if I were on a long road trip to get to the trail and needed to make a hotel stay, then I'm very concerned with how I would secure the contents of the trailer.

So my question is how others may be dealing with this issue, as well as, does anyone have any experience with a device made by a company called S.t.e.a.l. Armor.

Their product that I am considering is the TrailerWatch2: http://www.traileralarmsystems.com

Of course I could fabricate some sort of shell/tonneau cover, but I feel that most of the time it would just be in my way.

There are some trips I would like to take that require multi-day highway travel there and back, and I don't want to have to deal with camping enroute, especially if those overnights are in inclement weather. It's too much travel time eaten up with setup and takedown, as well as having to find or reserve campsites for just a quick in and out stay. It's so much easier to just hit a hotel when needed at night and depart at first light if desired.

I hope I'm being clear with my concerns, thanks for any thoughts and experience you folks have.

I'll attach a photo of my rig so you have an idea as to what I'm dealing with.

Jake

Attachments

• IMG_5898.jpg
    IMG_5898.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 59

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
They make those high strength steel cable nets which can be secured with padlocks, that's probably what I'd do in lieu of some electronic "system".

VicMackey

Adventurer
First off, I would go with a Max Coupler or something along those lines. remove the coupler after you park and the lack of tongue attachment would slow down someone from stealing the entire trailer.

As far as electronic security, I think you are on the right track, but you are waaaay overpaying to go the route you provided. I would go with a version of this: http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html or this https://drivewayalert.com/system/de...Bw_yV85HWwbFAhZEQR2_4sH7U9ztlw3aJohoCaofw_wcB or some other driveway alarm. They make versions where the receiver is battery operated and 120v as well. The only negative would be that you would likely have to park the trailer on the same side of the hotel that your room is located.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
They make those high strength steel cable nets which can be secured with padlocks, that's probably what I'd do in lieu of some electronic "system".

yeah we take cable nets made to secure packs for hosteling, etc. They work pretty well.

JPShooter

Adventurer
I'm wondering the same thing, I'm coming up empty handed.

I can find small ones that will wrap around a backpack/suitcase type, but not a full size cargo net.

The M1101 bed is about 7 foot square.

pugslyyy

I'm sorry I may have sent you in the wrong direction. I assumed there would be some sort of security cable net available, but I haven't had any luck with google either. Maybe a business opportunity? :)

brentbba

Explorer
Can't speak to your cargo area as I've got a lid with locks on both latches for my M101CDN. As far as theft of the trailer itself I agree with VicMackey on the use of a Max Coupler, or in my case the Lock N Roll Coupler. It may not prevent, but it will deter the theft of the entire trailer. I've been meaning to pick up a two pack of the locking pins for hitches. I currently only have a locking pin on the truck side. That wouldn't prevent a well prepared thief from pulling the pin on the trailer and sliding in a fairly standard 2" tube ball hitch attachment. At least with a locking pin on both truck/trailer, the thief would have to have the truck side Lock N Roll! The only other security I use in more crowded campsites is a very heavy cable lock run through the wheel rim and around the axle on the trailer. Certainly not fool proof, but yet another deterrent to 'encourage' a would be thief to move on to an easier target.

pugslyyy

I actually have the same worries when I do a long road trip (trailering a vehicle out to Moab, for example). I end up just cat napping in rest areas because the hassle of dragging everything out of the back of the pickup truck just to get a hotel room for a few hours just isn't worth it.

JPShooter

Adventurer
I'm not sure that using a cargo net that's simply made from metal is a solution. A pair of wire snips and a hole is easily cut in the net.

If the net were made from heavy cable, similar to the cable that is used for securing bicycles or motorcycles (that are difficult to cut with a bolt cutter) then I can see there being a real deterrent to theft.

But simple metal cargo netting seems to me just an obstacle that could be easily overcome.

My main issue is that the travels I am concerned about will be with family. The poster "pugslyyy" talked about just stopping in a rest stop, and that's what I would do (and have done in the past) if I were by myself. Simple solution and much more economical and timesaving.

However, that's not my case these days.

I've thought about doing something of a "modified" hotel stay combining the rest stop and hotel in one. Get the hotel room, let the family stay in the room and I could sleep in the vehicle as I would in a rest stop. I can still get a shower and whatnot, but still be able to keep an eye on the cargo. Since we also travel with the family mutt, she would make a good alarm system with me in the truck! And then we don't have to deal with pets in the room.

I can see in the future that this M1101 and RTT may very well become our close to home rig, and a travel trailer may become our long distance rig. Of course it would have to be a trailer more in line with the Aussie type rigs than the typical American style trailers. But perhaps by that time there will be a better selection of off road capable travel type trailers here in the US.

TwinStick

Explorer
It has been my experience that just some simple things go a LONG way for security. But, If someone REALLY wants it, they will figure out a way, period.

Out of sight, out of mind. There is a LOT to be said in that simple little phrase. If they can't see it, they won't be thinking "I want that".
Simple security. I like to say. "It keeps honest people honest." Locking boxes, thick cable locks, etc can go a long ways.
Dogs---but don't leave it in a vehicle unattended, or you will go to jail (at least in NYState)
Camera's---real or not & the stickers/signs that go along with them.

Most Criminals are cowards who prey on the weak & vulnerable. Trust me when I say, they justify it in their mind before they even take it. Can't tell you how many times I have heard things like "Well, they shoulda locked their car", "shouldn't have left it plain view", "what did that old lady expect walking past here at night", "what do they care, they got insurance", etc... , etc... ,etc. The sense of entitlement is VERY high among criminals. People are people. Most will NEVER change. Most don't want to ever change. Over my 28 yrs of working with criminals I have learned that if someone REALLY wants it, they will figure out a way. Basic security measures go a long way. Mostly, just to keep honest people honest. The more you lessen the opportunity of a quick snatch & grab, the better.

Surprised no one has come out with a sticker/sign that says "SMILE, If you are reading this, you have already been recorded, via wireless satellite link, directly to my home."

JPShooter

Adventurer
I thought about some sort of LED light that would sweep back and forth across the cargo area (mounted up under the RTT) with lots of thin lines in a grid pattern. Just something "techie" looking.

That's it, just a light moving back and forth over the cargo, doesn't need to be hooked to anything. I bet it would scare off most every thief simply because they'd have no idea as to what they were dealing with. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears